Medical Card - Yes or No?

• Thread starter Luca_James1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Luca_James1

Luca_James1

Who here uses a medical card? What do you find beneficial or not beneficial about them?

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Who here uses a medical card? What do you find beneficial or not beneficial about them?
In my state we do have medical cards, they are “prescribed” by a medical doctor. This gives us the legal right in my state to buy and consume. We also have cultivators license that give us the right to do our own grows, under certain State laws, putting us in charge of our own meds. The plus? Not being arrested or risking losing our property for conducting a grow, the downside is the cost. We do not have digital cards, they come in a paper form.

Luca_James1

Luca_James1

It's so interesting to hear about different states and countries. I feel like we are falling behind in the UK. Over here our NHS is generally amazing however, we only have 3 medical cannabis prescriptions available and they're not particularly great or a rarity to obtain one. That's why people here sometimes use medical cards like CannaPass to confirm their condition instead. However it doesn't prevent you from getting arrested but it can help more police recognise that you have condition and hopefully improves education. That's a shame you don't have digital versions though - what state are you from?

Reactions: M87
Habosabin

Habosabin

The card here in Cali lets you have more weed and grow more plants. Rec is limited to one ounce or so and 4 indoor plants. I think the card let's you carry a qp and 8 plants in or out. Varies by county for 8+ plants

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

I have an Oregon card because four plants is not enough. Plus the police know that if you have a card and they raid you, you can sue the piss out of them so generally they leave you alone.

Blastfact

Blastfact

Here in Oklahoma you have to have one or it's jail time if caught. Have to get a prescription from a pot doc. Fill out some info with the state and give them money. They send you your medical card and your good to go for two years. We can have 6 plants in flower and 6 plants in veg. There are limits in quantity you can have on your person and stored..

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've always tried to keep my pot smoking quiet,my Doctor and a few friends know I smoke. I'm just about 70 and I have a hard time believing that if i tell the gov I'm growing and smoking & pay for a permit or license I'll be safer than if I just keep it quiet. Today's gov may say Ye tomorrows may say Nay and they'll know where to start looking with your name in their data base....

Do I trust government?.............lol......

These are the same gov fks that have been throwing us in jail for joints for the last 75 years and now we are going to trust them with our names on a data base identify us evil mood altering demons not fit for work in government jobs?.......I'm good thanks

Humphrey Bogart said it best...." Badges?.......we don't need no stinking Badges!"

josefrahl

josefrahl

Here's what I found for my state- In AZ there are 3 reasons to have a medical card. Under 21 can use with gaurdian consent, pay less taxes so cheaper, and if you're in pain management classes(needed to purchase pain pills regularly) you can test positive for THC in test. Although the last is grey as some Docs will allow a positive test for anyone.

Reasons not to- You're in the gov't database for med, only ID check for rec. Medical can buy 2.5oz every 2 weeks. Rec is 1oz each visit to any dispensary. Med grows are very strict. Must be tested, can't be grown within certain distances of schools, and a limit on how much the patient can possess from grow. A few other things. Rec grows rules are 6 plants per 21 yr old in dwelling(up to 12 plants). Indoors- grow room door must lock. Outdoors- must be in enclosed and lockable area. I can't find a possession limit at home, but only 1oz on your person in public.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I do. Originally got one with my late wife when she got Pancreatic cancer, and it was medical only.

I still keep a card, plus just got one for my girlfriend. In AZ you get two benefits: You don't have to pay another 16% tax, and you're allowed higher amounts in several ways. For instance, I can legally hold 2.5 OZ with a card, only 1 without. (Plus whatever I grow, which seems a kind of gray area?)

Only medical card users can buy edibles with more than 10mg per dose. In particular I can buy the 100mg Keef Colas instead of the 10mg versions (which I've never seen). I once saw a big brownie for sale with 2000mg - $240 marked down to $170.

Sometimes you get a shorter line at dispensaries for medical. I don't know of any dispensaries that still do medical only, but for a while that was a draw.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Here's what I found for my state- In AZ there are 3 reasons to have a medical card. Under 21 can use with gaurdian consent, pay less taxes so cheaper, and if you're in pain management classes(needed to purchase pain pills regularly) you can test positive for THC in test. Although the last is grey as some Docs will allow a positive test for anyone.

Reasons not to- You're in the gov't database for med, only ID check for rec. Medical can buy 2.5oz every 2 weeks. Rec is 1oz each visit to any dispensary. Med grows are very strict. Must be tested, can't be grown within certain distances of schools, and a limit on how much the patient can possess from grow. A few other things. Rec grows rules are 6 plants per 21 yr old in dwelling(up to 12 plants). Indoors- grow room door must lock. Outdoors- must be in enclosed and lockable area. I can't find a possession limit at home, but only 1oz on your person in public.
Are there any rules on how straight your lines have to be when positioning your pots? What about footing? do you have to stand on your left or right foot when watering?....Can you use red watering pots? Does your lawyer need to be on retainer or can you just call him when you need advice?

josefrahl

josefrahl

I do. Originally got one with my late wife when she got Pancreatic cancer, and it was medical only.

I still keep a card, plus just got one for my girlfriend. In AZ you get two benefits: You don't have to pay another 16% tax, and you're allowed higher amounts in several ways. For instance, I can legally hold 2.5 OZ with a card, only 1 without. (Plus whatever I grow, which seems a kind of gray area?)

Only medical card users can buy edibles with more than 10mg per dose. In particular I can buy the 100mg Keef Colas instead of the 10mg versions (which I've never seen). I once saw a big brownie for sale with 2000mg - $240 marked down to $170.

Sometimes you get a shorter line at dispensaries for medical. I don't know of any dispensaries that still do medical only, but for a while that was a draw.
Hmmm.. I just spent the morning looking this up. Didn't see the dosage thing, but sure you're right. I was going off of local articles. Do you know all the exact rules for medical grows Craig? Every article seemed to have different things listed, while having a few things the same.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Hmmm.. I just spent the morning looking this up. Didn't see the dosage thing, but sure you're right. I was going off of local articles. Do you know all the exact rules for medical grows Craig? Every article seemed to have different things listed, while having a few things the same.
I only know the rules for recreational grows - 6 plants max per person, 12 max per household. Apparently you can keep all your crop and/or give it away at up to an oz at a time. Medical grows are much more restricted, and you could not do one if within 25 miles of a dispensary so I never did one.

josefrahl

josefrahl

I only know the rules for recreational grows - 6 plants max per person, 12 max per household. Apparently you can keep all your crop and/or give it away at up to an oz at a time. Medical grows are much more restricted, and you could not do one if within 25 miles of a dispensary so I never did one.
Ok. From what I was reading they made it seem if you had you're card it was considered a medical grow. Lot of it just seems so weird. Like buying med is 2.5oz every 2 weeks, but rec I can hit every dispenserary for an Oz as long as I drop the first oz off at home first? Lol.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Ok. From what I was reading they made it seem if you had you're card it was considered a medical grow. Lot of it just seems so weird. Like buying med is 2.5oz every 2 weeks, but rec I can hit every dispenserary for an Oz as long as I drop the first oz off at home first? Lol.
There is a tracking system for medical that doesn't exist for recreational.

rightweedofthefreeworld

rightweedofthefreeworld

Don't know the exact way to express this but from a federal level, if you want to buy a firearm or in some states carry a firearm concealed, I'd forgo getting a medical card. Personally what the government doesn't know won't hurt them as long as whatever you do is only to yourself and not harmful to others. If firearms aren't your thing than I'd go for it if there would be benefits where you live. In some states it might be none issue, while others I've heard it's an issue, it primarily depends how close the state laws follow federal laws.

Either way, I'm one to ask the physician about benefits of weed first and it they think its good for a condition I have I'd use it but not get the card. Government shouldn't make a plant illegal nor tax something that you could grow yourself.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Don't know the exact way to express this but from a federal level, if you want to buy a firearm or in some states carry a firearm concealed, I'd forgo getting a medical card. Personally what the government doesn't know won't hurt them as long as whatever you do is only to yourself and not harmful to others. If firearms aren't your thing than I'd go for it if there would be benefits where you live. In some states it might be none issue, while others I've heard it's an issue, it primarily depends how close the state laws follow federal laws.

Either way, I'm one to ask the physician about benefits of weed first and it they think its good for a condition I have I'd use it but not get the card. Government shouldn't make a plant illegal nor tax something that you could grow yourself.
If you get a DUI for weed, having a card gives one the only slight legal edge against the charge in that you can argue against intoxication.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

In Michigan, where god intended us to be stoned, my wife's card gets us an extra 12 plants on top of our 12 plant per household recreational limit. She also doesn't pay the heavy reefer tax in dispensaries, and there are some products that are not available to recreational users (often quite arbitrary — I don't think there is any product that rec users can't have).

steamroller

steamroller

Until made federally legal having a pot card and gun permit is a federal offence technically .
You also would not be able to honestly answer the application and get a permit in any state due to federal law .
Not a gun guy but in NYS you learn to cover your ass .
Even going to Mass. to a dispensary you need to show them your license . Never done it !
No thanks ,being here seems risky enough .
We must all be risk takers or surely we would have never even joined . 😲

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Never had one myself but have been growing weed for personal use since the late 90s. If you can build/have a spot and keep it from public eye and use modern technology within your home there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to just grow your own and forgo the whole licensing ordeal.

I'm talking 1-2 plants at a time. This will provide a single individual with plenty of pot for a good amount of time. If it's illegal to grow where you live, simply don't tell ANYONE you are growing. Lights nowadays don't increase your electrical bill enough for snooping like they did back in the day. They also don't produce as much heat. Just start growing yourself...

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
I don't have an Oregon medical card. I would like to grow more plants but you can't be medical here and keep your carry and conceal permit.

Top Bottom