Medical marijuana bill introduced in Texas

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Source:

Last week, a bill was introduced that would allow seriously ill patients to raise a medical defense to charges of possessing marijuana for medical use. It would also protect doctors who make medical marijuana recommendations.

Please contact your state legislators today and ask them to give HB 164 their utmost consideration. This is a modest and compassionate proposal to make sure the seriously ill do not languish in prison for treating their suffering.

HB 164

The proposed legislative measure would allow physicians to make written or oral recommendations that, in the physician's medical opinion, the potential benefits of marijuana would likely outweigh the health risks for a particular patient. If arrested for possession of marijuana, a patient with a recommendation from his or her physician would be able to assert an affirmative defense to charges arising from his or her medical use of marijuana. If a court accepts the affirmative defense, it would mean that a patient could avoid jail time and fines. The bill would not, however, protect patients from the initial arrest.

You can also help support HB 164 by submitting a letter to the editor.

One of the main reasons that medical marijuana is finally an issue being discussed in the Texas Legislature is because no fewer than 13 states have enacted medical marijuana laws, the most recent being Michigan.

Thank you for supporting the Marijuana Policy Project and all of our allies. Please pass this alert on to others in Texas who might be interested in making sure HB 164 receives the attention it deserves this year.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Wow, that is one of the last places on Earth I thought I would be hearing that news from.

TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash

wow

TEXAS???

Ross pero's state...

if texas goes legit...it ill be 5 years tops an the whole countrys legal...

Big pharma with huge grow opps..taxes,collectives will change..prices drop..

S

Simple Simon

And the Ball keeps on rolling from State to State ( to slow for me but at least its rolling ), good news !

J

joanocsa

Tx is where my mom lives. I agree if TEXAS passes the bill I give it Two years tops and the majority of the states will follow. And I'm sure the Supreme Court will say something soon on the subject.
They do have Legal Heroin for addicts. THC is for really ill patients. Not a self induced illness which is the addiction of heroin.

B

BrandNew2THIS

Thank you texans that fought hard for this and are and have put up with some of the toughest marijuana laws in the country! Not to forget nevadas 20 yrs to life back in the day, but damn in Texas and Arizona they have tanks and shit outside jails as a display to say that the war on drugs is an actual war. I have heavily studied war history have friends with serious war experience like one of my pals ill call sticky. I even have a little. I was in the Air Farce as An Analyst. As far as I know wars are supposed to begin and then end at some point and since the history of using mind altering substances is much more widespread across populations through history than populations of warriors especially in first world countrys now adays, I dont know how A. They can say they are winning this war considering the U.S. military has been tied to lots of substance shipping alone. Or B how can someone call this a war when it doesnt appear to have a possible end. And C since these compounds are part of a nature people as a whole dont seem to have a great understand of nature as a whole or the concept that legislators are infacto declaring a war on nature by doing things like killing off certain species of plants or erradication programs... I cant thank you enough for posting this I gotta sleep for work so Im gonna stop my list of of missgivings against US law on drugs. Later when I have time Ill get into Australian policy as thats another place I have lived. As well as Native Planting and Repairing planting. Till then keep fighting the good fight. Dont stop till you win if this really is a war after all and I am merely deluded.

A

Attis

Wow, TX is the state that started all this madness. It was originally a way to control the immigrant workers who were getting high.
I feel confident that we will see more follow suit even quicker. I can't wait until they do something on a national level. That will surely be the day the walls fall (so to speak)

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Austin's "Keep it Weird" seems to work for us in more ways then one. News like this makes me happy. Even if it doesnt pass its def a start for this State.

whiplash

whiplash

hard to believe. I live in Texas and know nothing about this. Need to do some research. So far keeping it pretty quiet in the press.

Latest posts

Top Bottom