Medical Marijuana Inative

• Thread starter Lost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lost

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/07/medical_marijuana_dispensaries.html

Medical marijuana dispensaries could mean big changes for Oregon
Published: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 10:00 AM Updated: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 9:45 PM
Jessica Van Berkel, The Oregonian
Follow Share this story
Story tools

Jamie FrancisLindsey Bradshaw, 62, spends most days in his Southeast Portland home, where he can quickly access his painkillers and keep tabs on his health. Bradshaw's battle with cancer in 2003 left him without his spleen and a kidney, part of his stomach, colon and pancreas. Medical marijuana is one of the methods he uses to deal with the pain.
Share With one hand, Lindsey Bradshaw hoisted his food bag onto his back, arranging the tube that has helped feed him since cancer ravaged his stomach seven years ago. In his other hand, he clutched a small gold bowl of marijuana and a pipe.

He depends on both devices to get through the day.

One of 36,380 patients registered with the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program, Bradshaw is a gardener who grows most of his own medical marijuana -- one of two options that program participants have. They can also buy from a producer who sells to four or fewer people.

Those options leave people dry if they don't know a producer and are too sick to grow their own, Bradshaw said.

But that could change, if a ballot measure to create a system of medical marijuana dispensaries passes.

The measure certified for the November ballot July 16, but has not received a ballot number yet. It would establish Oregon as the seventh state to set up a state-regulated dispensary system.

Growth of state-regulated models began popping up across the United States after October 2009, when President Barack Obama loosened enforcement of the federal law on marijuana possession, as long as people comply with their state's law.

Proponents of dispensaries say they would make access easier for thousands of sick Oregonians, but Oregon police and officials from other states with dispensaries caution that access can spiral out of control, resulting in unregistered dispensaries and illegal users. In Los Angeles, a mess of unregistered and dangerous dispensaries was the result of a "hodge-podge of competing and contrasting laws and ordinances," from the city, county and state regulating marijuana, said Tony Bell, spokesman for Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich.

The city placed a moratorium on new dispensaries in November 2007, but hundreds sprung up anyway. In June, the city ordered more than 400 dispensaries to close in an attempt to regain control of the marijuana industry.

In Colorado, Ron Hyman, the state registrar of vital statistics, received less than 5,000 applications for marijuana dispensaries in 2008. Now he gets 1,000 every day.

Colorado placed a one-year ban on new dispensaries and switched to a state-run system meant to reduce customer complaints about quality and cleanliness, Hyman said.

In Oregon, dispensaries would be nonprofits registered with the Department of Health, and have yearly licenses. The department would be in charge of monitoring and inspections.

Medical marijuana dispensary ballot measure
A measure to allow medical marijuana dispensaries in Oregon has been certified for the November ballot, but not yet given a number. Major elements:
Each dispensary and producer may possess 24 mature plants, 72 seedlings and six pounds of usable marijuana.
Producers and dispensers would pay a 10 percent fee to the state on all income/
Only Oregon residents could purchase and grow the marijuana.
Health department would be able to conduct and fund medical marijuana research.
People convicted of certain felonies in the past five years would be prohibited from delivering or growing the drug.
Health department must create a low-income assistance program for needy cardholders.
Dispensaries would prevent illness from mold or insects, which can occur when inexperienced users attempt to grow their own marijuana, Bradshaw said. Licensed patients who want to continue to grow their own medical marijuana could still do so.

Dispensaries could also offer different strains of marijuana with properties best suited to patients' symptoms, commonly severe pain or muscle spasms.

For Bradshaw, getting to select certain strains would be helpful, he said. The 62-year-old lost his spleen, a kidney, part of his stomach, colon and pancreas to Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He takes various drugs to deal with the pain, but said opiates like oxycodone leave him in a haze.

Proponents of the initiative, like Bradshaw, say putting the state in charge would keep dispensaries safe.

But Sgt. Erik Fisher of the Oregon police Drug Enforcement Section said that wouldn't make a difference. If dispensaries appear in Oregon, honest patients would soon be in the minority, Fisher said. All you have to do is look at California where the dispensaries opened the door for more abuse, he said.

If someone purchased $40 in medical marijuana at an Oregon dispensary, "what's to prevent them from sticking that...in a FedEx package, sending it to New York and making $600?

"It'll make it easier to skirt the law," he said. "You make it more available to patients, you make more available to criminals."

Dispensaries are an obvious location for crime, Bell said, and can endanger the public. "Communities just don't want them in their areas."

John Sajo, who helped draft the ballot initiative, agreed that medical marijuana stores in California are "little more than gangs with storefronts." Oregon would be different, he said, because the measure on the ballot eliminates most of the gray areas that caused issues in California.

The average patient in Oregon is also "older, sicker and poorer," than many of the California patients who are in their 20s, Sajo said.

Bradshaw said he's one of those patients, and his marijuana usage is not provoking crime. "Me smoking in my living room doesn't have anything to do with a school three blocks away. What, I'm going to run down and say, 'Hey girl, want to smoke pot?' No."

The measure restricts where dispensaries can open -- they must be 1,000 feet away from schools and residential neighborhoods. It does not limit the number of dispensaries that can open.

Advocates say the dispensaries would bring much-needed revenue to the state. Dispensaries would make between $10 million and $40 million in the first year, Sajo predicted.

Producers would have to pay a $1,000 fee and distributors a $2,000 fee to cover program-operating costs, and would give 10 percent of their revenue back to the state. The health department could pick where to allocate the funds.

The department has not analyzed possible impacts of the initiative or planned how they would regulate dispensaries, said Dr. Grant Higginson, the state public health officer who worked with the explanatory statement of the initiative for the ballot.

The Oregon Medical Marijuana Program currently registers cardholders and their caregivers -- it has nothing to do with inspections or regulations. If the initiative were to pass, he said, it would transform the program.

--Jessica Van Berkel

R

robbiedublu

I just wonder if it might end up as f***ed up as the CA market. High retail prices but low wholesale. Everyone and his brother trying to grow. (assuming it passes)
I'm thinking of taking an option on a commercial grow space.

O

Oregonic

I just wonder if it might end up as f***ed up as the CA market. High retail prices but low wholesale. Everyone and his brother trying to grow. (assuming it passes)
I'm thinking of taking an option on a commercial grow space.
I see the 1000.00 a year fee to grow plus the taxes on it will hopefully discourage some peeps. I am wondering what happens to those of us in Oregon that are currently growers? Can I still provide for the four OMMP patients without paying that fee or is it gonna be anyone who wants to grow period has to pay. Maybe I have to pay that fee to be able to be able to sell to clubs??? Oregon seems to be flooded right now, would be nice to have somewhere to off load some extra meds, everyone I know right now has herb coming out the fucking ears!

Dynamite

Dynamite

I see the 1000.00 a year fee to grow plus the taxes on it will hopefully discourage some peeps. I am wondering what happens to those of us in Oregon that are currently growers? Can I still provide for the four OMMP patients without paying that fee or is it gonna be anyone who wants to grow period has to pay. Maybe I have to pay that fee to be able to be able to sell to clubs??? Oregon seems to be flooded right now, would be nice to have somewhere to off load some extra meds, everyone I know right now has herb coming out the fucking ears!

it would only be "in addition too" ,it changes nothing/takes away nothing ,but only "adds too" the existing laws..

if your set-up to grow for a dispensary ,you pay to play ..if you grow for a patient ,keep on doing what your doing ,nothing will change

that's the way I read it

it's only flooded with "mids" ,not AAA+ dank :bandit

O

Oregonic

it would only be "in addition too" ,it changes nothing/takes away nothing ,but only "adds too" the existing laws..

if your set-up to grow for a dispensary ,you pay to play ..if you grow for a patient ,keep on doing what your doing ,nothing will change

that's the way I read it

it's only flooded with "mids" ,not AAA+ dank :bandit
I hope its setup like that, wouldn't mind stepping up but would hate to be forced into a situation were the people I am helping out with meds get fucked over!

I hear ya on the mids, buddy couldn't move his gear cause it looked like everything else, green with a hay smell. I am glad I have put more focus on quality over quantity, I ain't got much left over but it always finds a new home rather quick ;)

Oh, can you peeps on the west side of the mountains take the fucking rain back, please. Had my share for the year, need the :sun2:

B

blackduck

Just got my card and I believe that in Oregon they will only be non-profit as opposed to California.

R

robbiedublu

Just got my card and I believe that in Oregon they will only be non-profit as opposed to California.

Non profit is legal term for a type of business entity. It involves how a business is set up and doesn't mean anything about how much people can sell stuff for or how much money they can make. For example, I can set up a non profit and pay myself a salary of a million dollars a month as the president of said non profit company. ( check out how much the administrators of "non profits" like goodwill and the red cross get payed) To put it simply, it just means you can't have stockholders and pay dividends. It will keep big companies from coming in and establishing grows and stores. (hopefully) Latest polling shows it not passing anyway.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Like Dyna said. You will be able to keep what you are doing. Or if you have the cash or someone to back you. AND are a VERY good grower than you might want to think about the 3000 it will cost.
I for one do not want the Govt in my business as they would if I was set up to grow for a disp. They will be on peoples ass for sure.
When I decide to play in the market it will be after the idiots "weed" themselves out of the game for not having a clue on how to grow.
I see and hear all the time of people that are waiting for this to pass and setup shop. The problem is that people do not have the experience in taking care of that many plants or think that cus they seen the show Weeds that they will accomplish the same.
When it fist passes it is going to be funny as hell. Already they have the stupid ass Normal shops on 82nd right by Burnside. Stupid Mofos, already making it look bad for us.
I am literaly tossed on if I want it to pass or not. One reason it will bring jobs to Oregon. But where I live in Hooker Ville off 82nd and Glisan I can already see the Jack Shacks and Dispensaries next to each other. The problem with that is it will give the fucking cops even more reason to fuck with people in the area.
Right now the way it is setup is for the growers to be fucked and have ZERO rights. I will NOT even get into the shady scams some patients are doing nowdays. And it is legal to fuck someone. That is why I now only grow for family.

G

genisis

You are right about the vagueness of the bill. It seems the overriding answer is that the OMMP will make the rules after the bill is passed ( Where have I heard that before?). From what I can gather - the $1000 is for growers that want to sell to dispensaries, not regular patients as dispensaries can only buy from licensed growers.
One of the questions that no one seems to have an answer for, is the dispensaries ability to procure OMMP cards for their employees at $10 a pop. What rights do these cards carry? The same as my patient card that costs me over $200? WTF?
Another question about the dispensaries. They must be non-profits. To be a non-profit you must have a Fed tax ID#. Your books have to be open. Who is going to protect you from the Feds when you either pay your taxes on your profits from violating Fed law or you violate Fed law by not paying your taxes?
These are only a couple of questions left unanswered in this bill - there are lots more. I am also torn on passage, but am leaning no. There are just too many questions and no answers - bad combo for a law.

R

robbiedublu

Hi ya all!

Well, I myself am a little concerned with measure 74. I have called OMMP and even Normil trying to find some answers to my questions. OMMP was no help at all. They said they knew nothing! Figures!! Well, Normil did call me back with some phone numbers that I can call and hopefully get some answers to the questions I have.
Like, do I have to give up the people I grow for currently or is there going to be a 1000.00 fee for each one of them? Does the 1000.00 growing fee cover myself, my husband and the three friends that I am currently growing for? I don't want to have to dump the people I am currently growing for simply because I can't afford the fee for each one of them. Is the fee for growing simply on one grow site with as many cards as you can handle or is the fee for every grow site you are involved in? The mesures increases the number of plants a grower can ahve from 6 to 24. That is good more is sometimes better. The fee to sell or open up a dispensary is good and I understand that. Heck, I already have business cards made up for a delivery service I want to run. Forget the store fronts and all of the hassle of trying to rent or lease a building. Not to mention the stigma from other surranding businesses and them snubing their noses and talking about you. Intersting fact though. In Oregon anything you can grow on your property/land, you can sell off your property. I checked with the agucultial deparment years ago when I was going to get into organic farming and at the time was thinking of opening up a produce stand down in front of our property and that is what they told me. So, if you own and grow your medicine on your own land, why couldn't you sell if off your own property? You of course would not be able to be near a school (with in 1000 feet ) or in a residintal area. That is the only way I would want to open my own dispensary or like I said just operate a home delivery service. Either would work for me as a means to get rid of extra medicine. Here in the next couple of days I am going to make some calls and try to find out exactly what the measure 74 says. I don't want to be voting on something that might end up not being good for myself or my patients. I will post back again later on what I learn from my phone calls. Might be helpful to others.........

Purrs.....Catwoman

Read the bill. It will not affect or change the current laws regarding medical grows and growing for other pts.
It only affects people who want to set up legal commercial grow ops and sell to the legal dispensaries.
It's not gonna allow you to sell off your own property anymore than you can now.
OMMP is not the same as MPP (marijuana policy project) who were the force behind getting this initiative on the ballot.

R

robbiedublu

The law says that you can legally sell anything that you grow off your property. Hay, fruit, vegies, etc. If measure 74 passes and the only guidlines they have(so far) is that you can not open a dispensary with 1000 feet of a school and you can not have one in a residentail area than why would a person not be able to open one up on their own property in a rual area? As long as the other critiera is meet such as security I don't see a problem.

Purrs..Catwoman

Sorry but those aren't the only guidelines and if you think so then you obviously haven't read the proposed law. You have to pay a fee and register with the state and get inspected. The grow can only be in an area that is zoned commercial. There are plant limits.
Whatever law you are referring to ( please reference that law for us so we can all read it) that says you can sell things you grow on your property is OBVIOUSLY not referring to pot. Pot would be covered by this new law. I wouldn't be too concerned because it probably won't pass anyway. If it does we'll all be pleasantly suprised.

N

nedmark

AAA meds

So after reading this thread I'm left a little confused. are there currently operating dispenseries there or not? Some one said your flooded with mids. What are the dispenseries (if they exist) paying for a lb of AAA meds. I mean dank, smelly, and covered in sugar. I currently reside and grow in colorado. the laws are getting a little out of control and am thinking about packing up and setting yp shop somewhere else. Would any one reccomend oregon?

R

robbiedublu

So after reading this thread I'm left a little confused. are there currently operating dispenseries there or not? Some one said your flooded with mids. What are the dispenseries (if they exist) paying for a lb of AAA meds. I mean dank, smelly, and covered in sugar. I currently reside and grow in colorado. the laws are getting a little out of control and am thinking about packing up and setting yp shop somewhere else. Would any one reccomend oregon?

No dispensaries or legal sales in Oregon right now. Prices here are much lower than CA, for all grades. Lots of black market growers here. Probably not where you want to move to. WA may be better, i'm not sure though.

R

robbiedublu

When I read the measure it says not within 1000ft of a school and not in a residential neighborhood. Maybe if you're in a rural area you'd be ok.
Interesting about dispensaries in your area. To my limited knowledge, here in PDX, there are cafes (only 2 that I know of) where you can go and smoke and get weed but only in small amounts (1/3 of a gram at a time is what i've heard) to smoke there. They aren't selling weed to pts though. You have to join and pay some kind of monthly fee.

G

genisis

It seems that this thread is confirming some of the problems with this measure. It seems that it now depends on where you are, as to the current enforcement of existing law. The Washington county sheriff has stated that he is in opposition to the new measure and will stringently enforce existing law. The Association of sheriffs and District attorneys has just announced opposition to passage.
In my opinion - these gray area dispensaries and delivery services are playing a dangerous game. I was just told that one is paying $8.00 a gram up to 1 1/2 lbs at a time. I have not done it myself, but source was credible. I wonder what happens if measure is defeated. Will they turn a blind eye to these gray area groups after the public has said no to sales?

westcoast547

westcoast547

Breeder
Supporter
There is a new hemp store in Salem (just opened up in the Summer this year) that is already openly ripping patients off. They only accept donations of $20 or $45. And they weigh you out at street value (1.5 grams for $20). So they make black market value off patients. The bud is shit, too. Freaking has dog hair all over it. And it's too dry and becomes shake when you touch it. I wouldn't even call it work. It's much worse than work. But, these guys are just taking advantage of the sick by breaking down large quantities of dirt weed and selling it to desperate patients.

And, it's gonna get much worse when or if these dispensary laws pass. Many more of these greedy store fronts selling shitty weed are gonna open up. And it's because of the way the laws are written now. We have to grow it ourselves, so there are now a shit load of first time growers in our state. And all of them are gonna be trying to cash in. It's gonna be a huge mess for the first few years.

westcoast547

westcoast547

Breeder
Supporter
I'm wasn't trying to dog on all dispensary or delivery service ideas. I am for dispensaries in Oregon. I actually think we need them badly. So that good genetics will always be readily available for patients when we need them. Like clones and meds. I just don't think everyone is on the same page about dispensaries. I'm talking about the people who do have intentions of getting rich quick, and at any cost. Those of us who actually have compassion for not only our patients, but also for the plant itself are the people who should be working in these dispensaries. Because only growers who respect cannabis as a real medicine will grow it like a real medicine. Growers who see it as nothing more than a quick buck don't go through the extra steps to insure good quality as we do. For example, I never squeeze my buds while in bloom because I don't want my medicine to loose any valuable trichomes. Someone who doesn't care, doesn't care. They will squeeze the hell out of it, crop it early or whatever just to make that dollar. I only hope that the owners of these dispensaries hire good people who truly believe in medical marijuana. And not someone with a card just trying to be stoned all day and get their hustle on. I also hope one of these dispensary owners consider me for a position, lol.

G

genisis

The way the proposed law is written, you do not need to be a medical OMMP card holder to be a licensed grower or dispensary owner/worker. People paying the $1000/$2000 and their employees will receive cards for $10. These cards will allow anybody to possess and sell marijuana. The only stipulation is that you can not have been convicted of a felony within 5 years. This makes sense as only 1% of Oregonians have cards and you need to increase the market. So much for compassion

Top Bottom