Medical marijuana on the ballot undermines drug prevention

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
For over a decade, activists and big-money lobbyists have worked to make marijuana legal. In so doing, they have wreaked havoc on community efforts to reduce drug use, abuse and addiction. Their pro-drug messages contradict prevention messages from parents, schools and communities across the state and weaken opposition to youth drug use.
Medical marijuana on the ballot undermines drug prevention

Stopping use before it starts has long been the key in Florida's strategy to reduce substance abuse. The most effective drug prevention happens at the family's kitchen table with parents as the first – and best – defense. Yet our schools, community and government have a role to reinforce those efforts by keeping access to drugs – and alcohol and tobacco – as difficult as possible for our youth. Legal marijuana – medical or not – sends a clear message to our kids that it is not dangerous and seriously undermines our efforts to reduce youth drug use.

It begins with marijuana being falsely portrayed as harmless. Marijuana is anything but benign. It has addictive qualities that cause changes in behavior, mood and consciousness along with negative long term effects – including psychosis and schizophrenia – for chronic users. Recent scientific studies back up these claims. Educators take note – a 2012 study in Australia showed that chronic use of marijuana causes a drop in IQ of up to eight points. Still another 2014 Northwestern University study showed that even casual marijuana use causes significant brain abnormalities.

Medical marijuana means more use and that means more kids smoking pot. Greater availability and lowered perception of harm will increase use. The current Florida ballot amendment allows teens to receive medical marijuana. More adolescents are now in treatment for marijuana dependency than for alcohol or all other illegal drugs combined. States with medical marijuana lead the nation in youth use and studies show that high school students who would otherwise be at low risk for habitual pot smoking say that they would use marijuana if it were legal.

Legalization means marijuana advertising targeted at youth will explode. Addictive industries always rely on the addicted to make their most profits. The quest for larger market shares will drive advertising and permeate of all our media encouraging pot smoking. If you liked Big Tobacco, you are going to love Big Marijuana. Expect the same slick ads that neglect to mention dangers in order to get kids hooked. Just look at Colorado to see Florida's future. Pot shops will replace pill mills with unscrupulous physicians abusing their prescribing privileges for marijuana.

The world is dangerous enough for kids without sanctioning another intoxicating drug to trip them up.

Grant was director of Florida's Office of Drug Control and serves as chairman of the Leon County drug prevention coalition.

http://www.pnj.com/story/opinion/co...a-ballot-undermines-drug-prevention/11108425/

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Violent Crime Down Since Colorado Legalized Marijuana

When Colorado legalized recreational marijuana, critics of the idea warned it would lead to more crime throughout the state. But the impact has been just the opposite so far in the state’s largest city, which has seen violent crime go down.

Crime Data for Denver, the hub of legal pot sales in the state, shows murders, assaults, rapes, burglaries and other violent crimes declined during the first three months of the year, compared with the same period for 2013.

Homicides went down from 17 to 8 (a 53% drop), automobile break-ins from 2,317 to 1,477 (down 36%) and sexual assaults from 110 to 95 (down 14%). Overall, violent and property crimes dropped more than 10% from last year to this year during the first quarter.

http://www.allgov.com/news/unusual-news/violent-crime-down-since-colorado-legalized-marijuana-140610?news=853366 ...

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
the only point he makes I agree with is there are more kids in treatment for MJ than before. what they dont tell ya is they are in there rather than going to jail. forced by the courts cause they got caught with weed. not cause their lives were out of control and they were addicted.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
the only point he makes I agree with is there are more kids in treatment for MJ than before. what they dont tell ya is they are in there rather than going to jail. forced by the courts cause they got caught with weed. not cause their lives were out of control and they were addicted.
Indeed;
yer choice: probation/treatment-rehab or jail/juvy--
Oh!!! Look how many are in treatment-rehab...

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Yeah like we've never heard that one before. What a putz.

DismalDude

DismalDude

My state is full of assholes like this.I'm about sick and fucking tired of the idiots that are calling all the shots.It's running this country into the ground.
I know people that have been popped on possession charges(over two ounces)that are serving hard time.
I also know of a sub-human that raped a 5 year old child and got one year.
I'm a crotchity old fuck to begin with but seriously,when does the bullshit end?

hempmerican

hempmerican

Met a woman and her 19 yo son living in their car one day at the laundromat. They had just relocated to Washington State from Florida. Her son had just finished a year probation for getting caught with a glass pipe that contained resin. Eventually they both got jobs and are now living in an apartment.

The choice is simple... become educated and change laws or spout stupidity and drive away the population to greener pastures.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Speaking of which, why the HELL is rehab so fucking expensive? And why are we stuck using the same old methods that are proven well to NOT work?

Anyone?

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
hahahaa that was funny shit....:p

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I love that scene and it is funny but also very true,they are forever trying to lump MJ in with other drugs and it just does not fit,nor does it fit with alcohol or even tobacco for that matter.

hempmerican

hempmerican

Speaking of which, why the HELL is rehab so fucking expensive? And why are we stuck using the same old methods that are proven well to NOT work?

Anyone?

Ibogaine is safe effective treatment for most people with addictions but it's illegal in the USA. I have seen it administered many times in the Netherlands and it works. The addict is free of withdraw symptoms and cravings.

"In the 1960´s Howard Lotsof (1943-2010) from New York city, then a heroin addict, by accidentally found out the anti-adictive effects of ibogaine. Howard was cured from his addiction and became most active in promoting the use of ibogaine. Howard became ibogaines leading advocate, he authored or co-authored numerous research papers, lobbying public officials, pharmaceutical companies and independent researchers to investigate ibogaines efficacy. In 1982, Howard formed a non-profit corporation, the Dora Weiner Foundation, whose purpose was to promote the development of ibogaine.

In the late 80’s ibogaine has been scientifically proven to be anti addictive by Dutch and and American Doctors. Even though the scientific proof, there are no governments, pharmaceutical companies or regular healthcare centres interested in the use of ibogaine."

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ibogaine is safe effective treatment for most people with addictions but it's illegal in the USA. I have seen it administered many times in the Netherlands and it works. The addict is free of withdraw symptoms and cravings.

"In the 1960´s Howard Lotsof (1943-2010) from New York city, then a heroin addict, by accidentally found out the anti-adictive effects of ibogaine. Howard was cured from his addiction and became most active in promoting the use of ibogaine. Howard became ibogaines leading advocate, he authored or co-authored numerous research papers, lobbying public officials, pharmaceutical companies and independent researchers to investigate ibogaines efficacy. In 1982, Howard formed a non-profit corporation, the Dora Weiner Foundation, whose purpose was to promote the development of ibogaine.

In the late 80’s ibogaine has been scientifically proven to be anti addictive by Dutch and and American Doctors. Even though the scientific proof, there are no governments, pharmaceutical companies or regular healthcare centres interested in the use of ibogaine."
They're happy to see people die of OD, then. This is breaking my heart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom