medium or soil for seedlings (tried search box)

• Thread starter Califlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Califlower

Califlower

Howdy, I am a super new grower. I have read most of Cervantes book, but the info gets a little muddled. Anyway, I know it is late for an outdoor, but I have a long season, and I want to get some seeds started indoor. Maybe I'll get a mother I can clone, I don't know.

Anyway, I want to grow organic and in soil at first. What would you recommend to start seeds and grow seedlings in before transplanting to soil with organic nutrients (Fox Farm or something)?

For example, can I start the seeds in rockwool, then put the whole plug into soil after a couple of weeks under a florescent light?

I guess this is a what's your favorite seedling medium if next transplanting to soil question. Temps are pretty mild, after germination, should I just put them in a makeshift greenhouse, or just outside right away maybe?

Thanks!

sky high

sky high

The Net/Farm is a more current read than Cervantes book/Rosenthal's books/etc. Google is yer friend in this game.

I simply sprout the seed then put it directly into the dirt...tail down...seed casing just below the surface.....and water it and put it under the floros. I use Ocean forest cus it's easy to get.

If yer going outside @ some point you want to put yer plants in a filtered sunlight situation for a few days and ease them into full sun over time. Good luck

Califlower

Califlower

The Net/Farm is a more current read than Cervantes book/Rosenthal's books/etc. Google is yer friend in this game.

I simply sprout the seed then put it directly into the dirt...tail down...seed casing just below the surface.....and water it and put it under the floros. I use Ocean forest cus it's easy to get.

If yer going outside @ some point you want to put yer plants in a filtered sunlight situation for a few days and ease them into full sun over time. Good luck

Thanks for writing back! I did that recently with a few seeds except I put a baggie over the little pots. What I did is sprout a seed in a glass of water overnight, put it in some Ocean Forest, then a baggie over it for humidity (after watering), then under floros. I didn't get a sprout in 2 days... We'll see. I didn't bury too deep. But... seeds are a bit old (couple years, but quality genetics).

I have some foggy days here in the summer, or part days. I have a couple seedlings I started a couple weeks ago under floros, and I put them outside in the evening. How long do you put yours outside to get acclimated?

peace,

Califlower

Califlower

Califlower

Oh it sprouted.
Ois

vaporedout

vaporedout

congrats!!!! a new addition to the family :) ease back on the water, looks super wet there. ocean forrest might be a little "hot" (nitrogen rich) for seedlings but hey, i start mine in similar soil and they do fine.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks for writing back! I did that recently with a few seeds except I put a baggie over the little pots. What I did is sprout a seed in a glass of water overnight, put it in some Ocean Forest, then a baggie over it for humidity (after watering), then under floros. I didn't get a sprout in 2 days... We'll see. I didn't bury too deep. But... seeds are a bit old (couple years, but quality genetics).

I have some foggy days here in the summer, or part days. I have a couple seedlings I started a couple weeks ago under floros, and I put them outside in the evening. How long do you put yours outside to get acclimated?

peace,

Califlower
What I bolded, stop doing that.

Califlower

Califlower

I left the bag off after sprouting. Now I'm trying to figure out how dry to let the soil get before watering again. It is doing good though.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If it starts shrinking back from the sides of the container, it's gotten too dry. Most folks don't like to water seedlings the way I do it--I just keep a tray under them and keep water in the tray, about a half inch or so.

Califlower

Califlower

Got it... the soil I have should give enough nutes for a while, no?

Also, someone gave me this Asos stuff (bacteria for the soil, I think)... The bag says you can put a little in the water at any stage (there is a guide). I think about 1 tsp per quart of water is what I was thinking. What do you think of that stuff? Or just wait for transplanting to use it?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think you said you used Fox Farms, and that's a brand I haven't used (too rich for my blood!), but seedlings can chug along for a rather long time under their own steam.

Neither have I used Asos, but if it's beneficial microbes then yes, you can use it all the way through. There wouldn't be much point in using it near the end of flowering, though.

Try not to over-love the plants, they know what to do for the most part. Right now your most difficult job is observation, because you're 'learning' the plant.

vaporedout

vaporedout

i water my seedlings with a spray bottle.

learn the lift method... find out how your pot feels dry and wet. when i go out to water i kick my 5 gal pots, if they dont move, theyre fine. if they easily slide or tip over (joking) they need water. thats why most poeple (not sure what your using) will tell you not to use clay pots. they can be heavy and deceiving.

P

PanchoVilla

Recently all of my grows have been this way. Napkin/paper towel method for germination, straight into fox farm ocean forest, at first they show a little nutrient burn but as soon as the 2nd growth node comes out all goes back to normal

Califlower

Califlower

I think you said you used Fox Farms, and that's a brand I haven't used (too rich for my blood!), but seedlings can chug along for a rather long time under their own steam.

Neither have I used Asos, but if it's beneficial microbes then yes, you can use it all the way through. There wouldn't be much point in using it near the end of flowering, though.

Try not to over-love the plants, they know what to do for the most part. Right now your most difficult job is observation, because you're 'learning' the plant.

Fox Farm Ocean Forest is too nutrient rich, or just too expensive do you mean?

Great advice about not over loving them, and about observing, so true.

I want them to get sunlight. Around here during the day during the Summer we get temps in the upper 60's low 70's most days (at the coast), sometimes sunny, sometimes foggy (if very hot inland).

So I was trying to figure out how many hours would be ok outdoors, what times of day, etc. Once they are ready, I want to leave them outside. However, before they flower, if any are awesome, I may keep it as a mother and make a small mother hut indoors. I know it is super late in the season to start outdoor, but my buddy did the same thing and still got a little for personal use.

But if one gets big enough outside, I could take cuttings and do an outdoor SOG or something.

Thanks!

Califlower

Califlower

i water my seedlings with a spray bottle.

learn the lift method... find out how your pot feels dry and wet. when i go out to water i kick my 5 gal pots, if they dont move, theyre fine. if they easily slide or tip over (joking) they need water. thats why most poeple (not sure what your using) will tell you not to use clay pots. they can be heavy and deceiving.

Thanks, I think I am getting the hang of the lift method. I have just been soil watering mine. How many spray pumps do you use for a 2" seedling?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fox Farm Ocean Forest is too nutrient rich, or just too expensive do you mean?
Too expensive.
Great advice about not over loving them, and about observing, so true.

I want them to get sunlight. Around here during the day during the Summer we get temps in the upper 60's low 70's most days (at the coast), sometimes sunny, sometimes foggy (if very hot inland).

So I was trying to figure out how many hours would be ok outdoors, what times of day, etc. Once they are ready, I want to leave them outside. However, before they flower, if any are awesome, I may keep it as a mother and make a small mother hut indoors. I know it is super late in the season to start outdoor, but my buddy did the same thing and still got a little for personal use.

But if one gets big enough outside, I could take cuttings and do an outdoor SOG or something.

Thanks!
I think you should put them outside now. It's actually not 'super-late' (or I'd be screwed). End of July is super-late, you've got yourself some time. Give them (root) space, and you'll be completely amazed at how quickly they can grow. They're fine in full, direct sunlight all day long, and the sooner you get 'em out, the better. In fact, temps sound pretty good, your main concern being coastal is fungus once buds begin to get really thick.

Get your grow on!

Califlower

Califlower

Seamaiden, thanks!

What do you use for soil then, composted top soil?

I was thinking the seedlings were liking the soil, so great, I will transplant and put them outside. The temps are in the 40's and 50's at night.

Yeah someone said during flowering I might want to put a make-shift greenhouse over them for the fog, but really the Fall has way way less fog than the summer... it is usually more sunny in the Fall than Summer.

Oh, see pic below, is this the nutrient burn?

Seed1
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For potting, starting seeds especially, I like to use Gardener & Bloome's organic mixes, I usually use the less expensive stuff, although their Blue Ribbon soil is pretty darn nice. For the outdoor girls, I use a mix of organic topsoil and organic compost, amended with minerals.

It looks like the medium pH may not quite be to the little seed's liking, but it's not something I would fuss over too much. By that I am speaking of the slightly crinkled or crepey appearance of the lower leaves.

Temps at 40s-50s isn't too cool, but they'll grow better if you can keep the root-zone a bit warmer. If it's the only seedling, or you only have a small group of seedlings, it's a very easy proposition to make a small heat sink using cinderblock, bricks or rocks. A layer of them underneath, and then surrounding the plants. It will warm up during the day and release its heat during the night.

Califlower

Califlower

Yeah the Ocean Forest is a bit much at $12-$14 per 1.5 cubic feet.

I did see the pH was a bit acidic and I was maybe going to mix in some lime, but I forgot to, oh well.

I tried to do the whole pH thing, but the "Rapitest" pH meter I got from the hardware store is all over the map each time I turn it on. Then when I use it I'm not sure of the accuracy. I need to find a good way to test the soil and water I suppose.

Nice tip about the cinderblocks. I put the pots on these flagstones, which should help a bit. I might be able to round up some stuff for around them also.

Thanks!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Don't forget that cannabis is an acid-loving plant, she likes being treated like Camellia or rhododendron in that regard (but absolutely requires more light than those plants).

Rocks or flagstones or cinderblocks all will help accomplish the same goal. :)

Top Bottom