Meeeaaak's Grow

• Thread starter shady240
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

shady240

Hey guys! Furthest I've gotten so far, into week 2. I didn't have too much luck with Rockwool (I did make some stupid mistakes as well), so now I'm working with 80/20 coco coir/potting mix. Kinda learning as I go, started with 1/4 nutes and as of Sunday stepped em up to 1/2.

Started experimenting originally with the front two getting nutes, and rear 2 straight ph'd water. Strain is harlequin, non fem, non auto.

Meeeaaaks grow
MW7945

MW7945

Just curious, what's the point of an 80/20 coco/soil mix? Why not just go all coco?

Hard to tell in this picture, but the coco looks dry. Need to keep it wet constantly

S

shady240

Just curious, what's the point of an 80/20 coco/soil mix? Why not just go all coco?

Hard to tell in this picture, but the coco looks dry. Need to keep it wet constantly

From what I've seen, potting mix added provides a little extra nutrients for the first week to help out the plant, meanwhile the coco allows aeration and helps prevent nute lockout if I remember correctly.

I tried straight coco and the plants didn't survive a week, so far this recipe is working for me until they go in their buckets

MW7945

MW7945

From what I've seen, potting mix added provides a little extra nutrients for the first week to help out the plant, meanwhile the coco allows aeration and helps prevent nute lockout if I remember correctly.

I tried straight coco and the plants didn't survive a week, so far this recipe is working for me until they go in their buckets

A seed has enough nutrients in it for the first week or two itself. I run canna coco/perlite mix with no issue. Like I said, your problem likely lies in the fact you're letting your coco dry out. That's a big nono.

S

shady240

A seed has enough nutrients in it for the first week or two itself. I run canna coco/perlite mix with no issue. Like I said, your problem likely lies in the fact you're letting your coco dry out. That's a big nono.

I check it 3 times a day, when I get up at 7, when I get home at 6, and then one more time before bed. They're running on an inverted schedule, no light from 7am-1pm. When I check I use the rule of "if it's dry an inch down, water." I make sure to do it evenly and with a gentle spray just so it doest just flow straight out the bottom

MW7945

MW7945

I check it 3 times a day, when I get up at 7, when I get home at 6, and then one more time before bed. They're running on an inverted schedule, no light from 7am-1pm. When I check I use the rule of "if it's dry an inch down, water." I make sure to do it evenly and with a gentle spray just so it doest just flow straight out the bottom

And as I said... that's exactly why your previous plants died. Coco coir should not be dry. Not even the top 1/4". You need to water until there's runoff, every single day -- or even better twice a day.

Soil and coco coir are very different. Thus, I don't understand mixing them. When you let coco dry, and not watering until runoff, you're letting salts build up and your pH gets thrown for a loop. Creating deficiencies and/or killing your plants

S

shady240

Alright let me first clarify, mw. The pic posted was prior to watering this morning. While the top was dry, it was still moist down below and I do water until there's run off. And I check it that often to keep water in there, if it's dry, I obviously add more lol. Just didn't seem like the Rockwool or pure coco was right for me despite keeping them.... moist.... Lol

MW7945

MW7945

Quote from you --- "When I check I use the rule of "if it's dry an inch down, water.""

This rule does not apply to coco coir.

S

shady240

Quote from you --- "When I check I use the rule of "if it's dry an inch down, water.""

This rule does not apply to coco coir.

Oh damn, i usually water every other day or so I'll keep a better eye on that. There's usually some weight in them though from the last watering

S

shady240

For clarification though, you said salts build up in coco, but I was under the impression the coco prevented that? Did I come across some misinformation?

MW7945

MW7945

Oh damn, i usually water every other day or so I'll keep a better eye on that. There's usually some weight in them though from the last watering

water daily -- your plants will live.

In coco the common issue is underwatering. overwatering really isn't a thing (assuming you're not an idiot) in coco.

MW7945

MW7945

For clarification though, you said salts build up in coco, but I was under the impression the coco prevented that? Did I come across some misinformation?

I guess idk where you read that...

Long story short - water coco daily at very minimum. During flower I'll go 8+ feeds a day. Automated watering of course.

S

shady240

Alright so if THAT info was wrong, do you advise nutes every watering or, every other, or water, water, nute? Because I've seen every option for that one..

MW7945

MW7945

Alright so if THAT info was wrong, do you advise nutes every watering or, every other, or water, water, nute? Because I've seen every option for that one..

every watering. you can start with 1/4 strength at that size and see how it goes, gradually increasing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom