Megacrap

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Anyone else unable to get megcrop version 2 to dissolve properly?

Mine has white flakes in the dry mix that refuse to dissolve. I even filtered them out and tried to dissolve it in hot water... no-go.

What's up with this? Not happy about having to shelf $100 worth of fertilizer but I'm not gonna use it like this.
Megacrap 2
Megacrap
Megacrap 3
Megacrap 4

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Found this.

There are organics in MEGA CROP, they are water soluble and will not clog drippers or lines, but in stagnant water they tend to fall to the bottom layer of solution because they are heavier.

Never seen any sediment in my res but I do keep it moving pretty well. I honestly don't think your going to see an issue once using it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If your gonna shelf it send it to me. I will gladly take it off your hands at the cost you paid

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I tried your suggestion of dissolving 1 gram in a liter and I've got no sediment.. So maybe a concentration solubility issue?
Not sure.. I'll give it a run if it stays dissolved I think. Worst case, It clogs my filter and I go back to PBP. Or find a source for raw materials and make my own..

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I tried your suggestion of dissolving 1 gram in a liter and I've got no sediment.. So maybe a concentration solubility issue?
Not sure.. I'll give it a run if it stays dissolved I think. Worst case, It clogs my filter and I go back to PBP. Or find a source for raw materials and make my own..

Email the owner of mega crop. He loves to talk (type). Im curious the excuse. Because he brags heavily about his special process to fit all that crap together in one nute.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Email the owner of mega crop. He loves to talk (type). Im curious the excuse. Because he brags heavily about his special process to fit all that crap together in one nute.

I did, they replied that it is a form of calcium that can take up to 24 hrs to fully dissolve. I asked what form of calcium that is exactly and havent got a reply yet..

I might even just dry some out and flame test it. See if it burns white.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well they actually got back to me fairly quick. It's apparently Calcium sulfate/gypsum. Which makes sense actually, and explains why it wont dissolve in a concentrated solution.

I can work with that I think, maybe even go back to calling it megacrop lol.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well they actually got back to me fairly quick. It's apparently Calcium sulfate/gypsum. Which makes sense actually, and explains why it wont dissolve in a concentrated solution.

I can work with that I think.
That makes sense to me too. It has a piss poor solubility lol. So that also answers the question of if you can make any type of real concentrate.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That makes sense to me too. It has a piss poor solubility lol. So that also answers the question of if you can make any type of real concentrate.

Very true. I know from experience there are good 1 part concentrates out there, pbp, nova, foliage pro etc, but this shows some things really cant be properly made into a stock tank mix without a ton of agitation. This isnt a deal breaker for me, the small dilute batch I made earlier was pretty much fully dissolved within a few hrs.

Turns out theres nothing to see here. carry on..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Very true. I know from experience there are good 1 part concentrates out there, pbp, nova, foliage pro etc, but this shows some things really cant be properly made into a stock tank mix without a ton of agitation. This isnt a deal breaker for me, the small dilute batch I made earlier was pretty much fully dissolved within a few hrs.

Turns out theres nothing to see here. carry on..
I see it a bit differently. In order to get a 1 part solution you are much more limited to certain sources. While i feel you can absolutely get a good 1 part solution, I feel you have much more ability to fine tune a nutrient with the more sources you have to work with. lets say for example most solutions are using cal nitrate for calcium because as we just seen cal sulfate in not suitable for it. Now you need to find another way to add sulfur etc etc etc. So I feel dry ferts have an advantage here in several areas. Stability of PH, fine tuning nutrient ratio's, price and a few more. If you have ever worked with hydrobuddy or made your own nutrients this will make sense to you. Its no easy to make a 1 part nutrient solution without some key processes and other additives.

In the end though a balanced fert is all that's needed so half dozen of one and half dozen of the other

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I see it a bit differently. In order to get a 1 part solution you are much more limited to certain sources. While i feel you can absolutely get a good 1 part solution, I feel you have much more ability to fine tune a nutrient with the more sources you have to work with. lets say for example most solutions are using cal nitrate for calcium because as we just seen cal sulfate in not suitable for it. Now you need to find another way to add sulfur etc etc etc. So I feel dry ferts have an advantage here in several areas. Stability of PH, fine tuning nutrient ratio's, price and a few more. If you have ever worked with hydrobuddy or made your own nutrients this will make sense to you. Its no easy to make a 1 part nutrient solution without some key processes and other additives.

In the end though a balanced fert is all that's needed so half dozen of one and half dozen of the other

I wont disagree with that. If I were any bigger I'd be buying bags of minerals to make my own ferts but I honestly have enough going on without making fertilizer too lol. And ammonium nitrate is hard to get up here without raising flags.. at least it is at work where buy stuff in bulk lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I wont disagree with that. If I were any bigger I'd be buying bags of minerals to make my own ferts but I honestly have enough going on without making fertilizer too lol. And ammonium nitrate is hard to get up here without raising flags.. at least it is at work where buy stuff in bulk lol.
Don't want it anyhow without a live system it will never break down into nitrates. Which really lowers the amount you can use before burning the plants

Ezlyfe

Ezlyfe

I use mega crop for drip irrigation on my outdoor crop without clogging issues. I pre mix ferts 1 week ahead of time in 2 liter pop bottles to avoid dissolving issues. Had 18 plants on four drip lines and didn't have one clog the entire season. Product is good but I supplement with golden tree in between feedings

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
It could be filler to prevent the calcium and sulfur from reacting. It could also be a dessicant or something to help flowability. It won't hurt your plants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom