Metal Halide or HPS for Veg?

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I am about to buy a combo (hood, digital ballast, and bulb) and they have a deal where I can get a metal halide and hps for 45 bucks more. I have read that Metal Halide is better to Veg with than a HPS and I just wanted to put my feelers out there and see what you guys think. Is it really worth it to switch from MH to HPS or should I just stick with HPS?

Thanks for any input!:happy

Lowman

Lowman

I don;t think you'll notice a huge difference using MH in veg as opposed to HPS....but there is a difference. If you are getting a digital ballast....just ensure it can handle both types of bulbs. The MH has more light in the blue spectrum....which vegging plants like. HPS has more red spectrum which flowering plants thrive on.

And just to make things more confusing....check out CMH ( ceramic metal halide) bulbs. A little spendy...but people rave about them. I haven't tried one....yet....but they sound interesting.

C

CheebaMonkey

well, if anything switchable ballasts are worth the extra cash because digital ballasts run cooler. But if heat is no issue then I don't think it's worth it. But I base that on very little personal experience ;)

N

negative 1

no man just get the hps, i think that you get more symettrical plants with the mh and more squat bushy plants with the hps at least thats what happens to me. i use the hps and viola short fat leafed bushy plant...just my 2 centsworth though...i'm not sold on the digi ballasts yet but am using one on this grow and it seems to be doing alright.....we'll see if it stands the test of time but cooling the magnetics are a p.i.t.a...

G

GreenShadows

Under the best situations, you would have MH for veg and HPS for flowering. I use Hortilux's Blue MH for both veg and flower because it covers nicely a wide spectrum.

M

mstngmusic

I have both an MH and an HPS and had the same understanding as you at first that the MH is better for veg. I have actually found the opposite with trial and error tactics.

There will always be specifics that people have different opinions on, but that's just me. I go with what works best for me and my crops.

My MH is used for nothing more then seeding and sprouting now. I run all of my plants to the HPS after about a week and a half under the MH.

To my surprise, the HPS sky rockets my plants so much faster than the MH for vegging. The only side affect that I notice, which isn't really a big deal, is the plants tend to bud a bit sooner then I would like. This usually starts about a week to week and a half before the flowering stage.

I still get fantastic results even if the flowering starts a bit earlier prior to the 12/12 cycle. I am running 18/6 atm. Hope this helps with your decision.

G

gloriousgreen

Mh hands down.With a HPS all my little kids went to a light green when they where under the HPS and as soon has i changed for MH they came back to the right shade of green.

T

theslums

^jus put my plants under the hps last night and my plants are starting to turn a light green anyone know about this should start a thread. thanks for the input people

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

I prefer to run MH for veg and HPS for flower. The MH will keep the internode distance closer which is what you want for tight compact buds. Under HPS, the plants tend to stretch more and in the end need more staking. I've seen people get good results under just a HPS if you can only get one I would pick the HPS but if you can get both and a switchable balast then do it. IMHO you'll be rewarded in the end

H

halitzor

Mh hands down.With a HPS all my little kids went to a light green when they where under the HPS and as soon has i changed for MH they came back to the right shade of green.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but.... they look different shades of green under MH vs HPS. HPS gives them an orange/yellow tint which makes them lighter colored. The MH shows their true color.

Top Bottom