Metallic Leaves and Canoeing?

• Thread starter Jellybean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jellybean

Hi all.

So i got some deadhead ogs and some larrys. they seem to be doing good, but i noticed the growth seems kind of slow, and basically the leaves don't look "right" - they are almost glossy, reflective, i think i might even seem some silver near the edges of the leaves, they are a high green and not the deep green they are supposed to be, and the fan leaves are canoeing heavily near the new growth.

i am using roots organic 707 straight up, and it doesnt really drain well at all - in retrospect i should have added some drainage medium. i hand water once a week because of this, and use a basic nute regimen, of botanicare bloom, AN micro and cal mag+. i used sweet and botanicare grow earlier in veg but cut them out a couple of weeks ago after i over fed a lady and she went from being my strongest to looking like she got microwaved overnight.

i use R/O water PH fluctuated between 5.8 and 6.6 after nutes.
the temps run between 61 at night and 74 during the day. and the humidity is between 45 and 60% give or take.

basically i looked up everything and cant come up with any options, but im thinking something is getting stuck in the soil, maybe salt or some nutes. i dont think they are deficient and its def not heat burn.

i guess i cant post pics yet, so here are two tinypic links. if a mod could post the pics for the other farmers that would be a big thanks. THX

:banana1sv6:

http://i42.invalid.com/2s0zu2w.jpg

http://i42.invalid.com/5yvkv6.jpg

J

Jellybean

i checked this morning and the canoeing went down, the colors also seem to be returning to a more mellow green. thinking its some sort of buildup in the medium, which is not draining, gonna do a soft flush, water with pure water over two days this week and try to get some some run off from this 707 mix

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They look quite healthy to me, not sure what you think the problem with their appearance is.

click80

click80

<edit> I am assuming by canoeing you mean the upwards curl, i see one leaf doing the downwards thing too, I think that is called "epinasty" <edit>

man this really isn't gonna help but..I have been growing Deathstar and I always have that leaf canoeing and no reason for it...some people say it's called the "kush curl" and is kinda normal...I have had others tell me that canoeing in addition with big ridges between veins is water stress...the plant is making more leaf area with the big ridges and trying to transpire more so it can draw in more? my opinion on that is that it might do that also if there is too much airflow across the leaf so I would factor that in....

I had the same "kush curl" when I was growing headband..so basically if it is eating nutes and everything else is going good I take a big drink of bourbon to calm my OCDishness down before i look at them...I will post some pics tonite because as usual my new deathstar grow is doing the same canoeing but they are healthy as shit...I wonder if it is 'cause i am using CO2 and they leaves are just v'ing up to gather in as much light as possible...

as for the leaf shine/metallic look...I have had that before but found out that if I took the leaf out from under HPS (which I have found out is the best thing to do anyway) and looked at it under normal daylight cfl's they looked fine...I use Spray-n-grow with Bills Perfect Fertilizer on my clones and it makes them develop a real healthy ass wax coating so I figured that was the cause of the real big shine...

anyway i would love to see some different opinions on this as I know that canoeing fucks with a lot of people, especially new growers and they will start pulling their hair out for nothing....I also notice that they sometimes do it when I flip them, they will do it at night for awhile after flip???? weirdness what ya gonna do? haha

like I said I had it bad last time also but did .80 gm/watt with Deathstar

click80

click80

just noticed something..you only have to water once a week? hm....I would definitely be worried about root problems...but look I only do my moms in dirt..but I would keep an eye out...maybe get some bennies in there...bennies have saved me from myself more than once.

J

Jellybean

They look quite healthy to me, not sure what you think the problem with their appearance is.

lol. i think i may be bad tripping because last week after a feeding my healthiest soil girl she blew up had a crazy sheen and big time canoeing and the next morning she was half dead - i tried flushing, putting her in quarantine under cfls and no recovery. i will post pics later of the before and after. but thx for the words of re-assurance.

another thing is i got some in straight coco, and they have this healthy fluffy "flat" color green and no canoeing. and the girls in soil look like they smoked some crack and are ready to kill each other, the attack mode look. i dunno. this is my first real gro lol. :sweating:

J

Jellybean

just noticed something..you only have to water once a week? hm....I would definitely be worried about root problems...but look I only do my moms in dirt..but I would keep an eye out...maybe get some bennies in there...bennies have saved me from myself more than once.

yeah i do the once a week thing cause i did full fert feed/watering twice a week and ended up poisoning my strongest girlie. the RO 707 just refuses to drain, it holds all the nutes, i mentioned in another post the same strains/clones from the same momma in coco do not have the same look and i noticed when i ripped out the poisoned soil girl the roots were not reaching out to the edges of the pots but going straight down, she got choked out in the soil - she OD'ed. so im just being careful now.

and bennies, i was gonna pick up some hygrozome - i got some liquid karma that i dont use....maybe i should do a watering with just LK and some RO water in between full feeds.

all i know for sure is im going all coco next time. but still want this run with the soil ladies to be kosher. lol

J

Jellybean

<edit> I am assuming by canoeing you mean the upwards curl, i see one leaf doing the downwards thing too, I think that is called "epinasty" <edit>

man this really isn't gonna help but..I have been growing Deathstar and I always have that leaf canoeing and no reason for it...some people say it's called the "kush curl" and is kinda normal...I have had others tell me that canoeing in addition with big ridges between veins is water stress...the plant is making more leaf area with the big ridges and trying to transpire more so it can draw in more? my opinion on that is that it might do that also if there is too much airflow across the leaf so I would factor that in....

I had the same "kush curl" when I was growing headband..so basically if it is eating nutes and everything else is going good I take a big drink of bourbon to calm my OCDishness down before i look at them...I will post some pics tonite because as usual my new deathstar grow is doing the same canoeing but they are healthy as shit...I wonder if it is 'cause i am using CO2 and they leaves are just v'ing up to gather in as much light as possible...

as for the leaf shine/metallic look...I have had that before but found out that if I took the leaf out from under HPS (which I have found out is the best thing to do anyway) and looked at it under normal daylight cfl's they looked fine...I use Spray-n-grow with Bills Perfect Fertilizer on my clones and it makes them develop a real healthy ass wax coating so I figured that was the cause of the real big shine...

anyway i would love to see some different opinions on this as I know that canoeing fucks with a lot of people, especially new growers and they will start pulling their hair out for nothing....I also notice that they sometimes do it when I flip them, they will do it at night for awhile after flip???? weirdness what ya gonna do? haha

like I said I had it bad last time also but did .80 gm/watt with Deathstar

all this info is very helpful, i was thinking it might be an airflow issue (my airflow is decent at best, out take pulled through the hood, intake with a shitty fan through the hole in the tent, with one fan on oscillate - tent isnt sealed.

i also heard canoe leaves are common with kush plants, but as far as how they look under natural light, believe me, the gloss and metallic edges are still there under normal house light. i used neem a couple of times throughout veg but not in the last two weeks...i dont think thats it. anyhow thx again! :pimp:

and post them pics would be much appreciated!

I have had others tell me that canoeing in addition with big ridges between veins is water stress

yeah this just popped up to, the veins look swollen and purple on the canoed leaves....hmmmm

Latest posts

Top Bottom