meters with brewed teas?

• Thread starter Organicteas4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Organicteas4me

Good morning farmers. Can you read PPM, PH and /or EC in organic brewed teas after you dilute it with RO water? Will it ruin your meter?

sedate

sedate

Of course you can. Why not?

Generally it is a good idea to rinse the probes/sensor with RO water before even short-term (read: overnight) storage - but organic nutes won't wear the meter any faster than any other use.

Blaze

Blaze

It will not ruin your meter, but you will not get an accurate reading with organic teas either.

mr. chunky nugz

mr. chunky nugz

i wouldnt.. and its not necessarily what im looking at when using teas. im more worried about the microbial life within the tea and making sure all my bacteria will be happy. ur ph will go nuts and not come in accurately.. and ur ppm shouldnt even matter cause your not trying to provide any kind of nutrient value.. just mt .02

Blaze

Blaze

^^^ Hit the nail on the head. If you want to evaluate the quality of your tea you need a microscope. The meters don't tell you much, and quite frankly, if you have a properly brewed tea, the pH and EC won't even matter.

P

Papa_kush

i wouldnt.. and its not necessarily what im looking at when using teas. im more worried about the microbial life within the tea and making sure all my bacteria will be happy. ur ph will go nuts and not come in accurately.. and ur ppm shouldnt even matter cause your not trying to provide any kind of nutrient value.. just mt .02

Yo homie hit me up when you get a min. Been trying to PM you but it's saying your acct isn't accepting PM's. Hope all is well stay up man.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good morning farmers. Can you read PPM, PH and /or EC in organic brewed teas after you dilute it with RO water? Will it ruin your meter?
It will not ruin your meter. However, you can only read pH accurately with specific regard to organic compounds. Read on.
Of course you can. Why not?

Generally it is a good idea to rinse the probes/sensor with RO water before even short-term (read: overnight) storage - but organic nutes won't wear the meter any faster than any other use.
Actually, no, you can't, not organic molecules with anything resembling accuracy using the meters we typically use. The reason has everything to do with conductivity of these compounds, or rather, the lack of conductivity. Beyond that, the equipment required to test density or concentration of organic compounds does exist, but it's got some problems. First, one needs to know rather precisely what organic molecule one is seeking to test for and then acquire the equipment to test for just that (type of) molecule. Second, the equipment is insanely expensive.

I explored this question last year with some acquaintances of mine, two of whom work for a large public aquarium in the Bay Area, one of whom is a chemistry professor and researcher in Santa Cruz, another of whom is an oceanographer, and another is a paleoclimatologist. The consensus between them all is it would be an incredible pain in the ass for a grower to try to test organic compounds and molecules as an individual specifically because in order to even begin, you must know the molecule you're after.

So... that's the "why not" of it.

Top Bottom