Mg deficiency in coco still in veg

• Thread starter Tracyfri
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tracyfri

Tracyfri

It's evenly spread through out the canopy. I am running jacks 3-2-1. Do farmers think I should up the epsom and or cal nit? Runoff numbers are spot on. I am doing 4 waterings/day in one gallon pots. The older plants in two gallon pots are barley showing it. Almost not at all. Ty for any input.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Shit I forgot the pic! What a space shot hello!!
IMG 20210802 151158

AMBITIOUS

AMBITIOUS

Hey! Have you figured it out yet? I have the same sht happening right now. everything was going great , stems are still green and plants are growing however last night I noticed the exact "deficiency" of what your picture look like.
In my case, I started watering heavier and noticed gnats appeared and as soon as they appeared these symptoms appeared. may be a connection there, did you increase cal? let us know ! thanks

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Hey! Have you figured it out yet? I have the same sht happening right now. everything was going great , stems are still green and plants are growing however last night I noticed the exact "deficiency" of what your picture look like.
In my case, I started watering heavier and noticed gnats appeared and as soon as they appeared these symptoms appeared. may be a connection there, did you increase cal? let us know ! thanks
I did a small increase but I'm still getting symptoms. It kills me cause the nutes should be there. I think I may be over-watering my coco just enough to steal some o2 from the roots just enough to give me symptoms. Like slowly but surely. I cut back the watering durations last night so I'm going to watch the EC and baby step forward. Coco in one gallon pots mostly. Def a learning curve for me.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Are you in coco?

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

I would up the mag a bit(Epsom is easiest imo) and see what happens. Not a huge amount, maybe 25-30%. Give it a couple days and see what the new growth is doing. pH could also be at play here, give your tester a clean, calibrate it and fresh batteries. Sometimes they give dodgy readings and send you chasing your tail with all sorts of wierd deficiencies and symptoms...

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Can you give us details about the nutrient solution, light intensity and distance and environmental factors. Every lil bit of info helps.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Sure. I'm running jacks at
Pt A 5-12-26 at 350g per gal
Pt B cal nit 15-0-0 at 250g per gal
Epsom at 100g per gal
I increased epsom to 125 w no results yet. Starting water is 30 ppm feeding at 800ppm. pH 5.8-6.2 going in 5.6-5.8, 750-1050 ppm coming out
Im wondering how many ppm of cal and mg I should be feeding starting flower? I've never used jack w straight coco. Never much issue in peat based soilless. Rambling now
I've got a mix of SE and DE hps lamps. The 3 SE running 1000w alternating w the 3 DE at 850w ( my lux meters battery is dead suppose I could download an app)
Temp 78-83
Night 72-75
RH 56-62W
RH 65-75 nightime.
Waterng every other hour at 45 sec just increased to one minute.
I popped one out to look at roots. Not as robust as i woulda liked.
I transplanted clones that were VERY well rooted into 1 gal hard pots w a biodegradable fabric liner (so coco doesn't wash out the drain holes)
17 days ago.
So this far under hps for 17 days
10 days of veg
7 days of flower.
Symptoms began almost 7 days ago. I kinda let it play out. I upped the mag sulfate a bit, but not major. Thought I may have been over-watering but probably not. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Can you give us details about the nutrient solution, light intensity and distance and environmental factors. Every lil bit of info helps.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Could you post a couple more pics so we can see the plants in their entirety, I wanna see how big they are because it helps get an idea of the nutrient strength they should get.

I know they say it's impossible to over water coco, but it depends on the oxygen level in the nutrient solution and root development too. Is it being oxygenated properly?

When I have issues like this, I almost always reduce EC a lil and lower light intensity until I figure it out.

If you have a feeling you are over watering, try reducing it for a couple days, sometimes your first instinct is right.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Could you post a couple more pics so we can see the plants in their entirety, I wanna see how big they are because it helps get an idea of the nutrient strength they should get.

I know they say it's impossible to over water coco, but it depends on the oxygen level in the nutrient solution and root development too. Is it being oxygenated properly?

When I have issues like this, I almost always reduce EC a lil and lower light intensity until I figure it out.

If you have a feeling you are over watering, try reducing it for a couple days, sometimes your first instinct is right.

You can see a bit of upward curl on some leaf margins as well as small yellow lesions beginning to form. The leaves do not have that vibrancy. Nicked and scratched and alittle pail in general. Growth a bit sappy petioles snap crispy and juicy.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

I almost don't need trimmers to prune out the low and inside shoots. I can pinch alot off w my thumb w out leaving a stringy mess, that juicy.

SecretGardener

SecretGardener

I have had Mg Deficiency issues every grow since switching to coco. Sparing you all the details, my recommendation is to add a few tablespoons of dolomite lime to the tops of each pot. This has always correct the issue for me without having to radically change my nutrient mix which does contain cal-mag and epson salt.

mikeross

mikeross

What brand of coco are you using and how often are you watering? I run jacks with no epsom salt. I'm running 3.0g jacks hydro and 2.5 g calnit and zero epsom.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

What brand of coco are you using and how often are you watering? I run jacks with no epsom salt. I'm running 3.0g jacks hydro and 2.5 g calnit and zero epsom.
Wow ok so I started running 4g pt A, 2g cal nit, and 1.2 epsom and things are gorilla tough once again. I read diff strains can benefit from a formula adjustment in flower to avoid mg def. Some strains re perfectly fine, others need more. So far so good on my end though. I am at 900 ppm.

mikeross

mikeross

Do you know if that brand needs to be buffered prior to use? I use Canna, so I use it right out of the bag. no buffer needed. I can't see you haven't a mag deficiency. Jacks has a ton of mag in it already and if you're feeding more mag on top, It's gotta be something else.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Do you know if that brand needs to be buffered prior to use? I use Canna, so I use it right out of the bag. no buffer needed. I can't see you haven't a mag deficiency. Jacks has a ton of mag in it already and if you're feeding more mag on top, It's gotta be something else.
Sry, I didn't see your last post. No buffering needed w this coco. Yes I know the mg is there I just couldn't and still don't know why it was not being taken up. All of the previous symptoms are gone now. All the new growth is VERY robust with great color. I'm not a genius w nutes etc. What conditions or mineral concentrations effect mg uptake I need to look at this a bit more carefully. It seems though the plants in the one gallon pots were more affected than the more mature plants in the two gallon pots. I will have my eyes peeled at try he start of the next reset because I expect it to happen again. Unless of course the slightly stronger formula I am now using is what corrected it. I'm grateful for your input đź‘Ťđź‘Ť Happy farming!

Latest posts

Top Bottom