MH vs T5 for Veg

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

I am just about ready to revamp my veg room, and I need to decide on what I am going to do with lighting. The table in question is 28" x 60", and I would like to cover the max area with light. I have a couple of extra cool tubes, so I could use them, and go a couple of 400mh. Or, I could go for a T5 setup instead. I am mostly interested in the best growth for plants up to 18", and low heat output would be close behind that. I have a couple of 2' T5 fixtures so far, and they work great, and I would say that the plants under it seem to be lusher than the MH ones. Any input would be awesome. Thanks guys,

-TF:evilgrin0013:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I haven't set up my T-5 yet, but I would at this point have to guess that for accelerated growth the MH would be where it's at based on my direct experience with corals, anemones, giant clams and the like (all photosynthetic organisms, just not terrestrial plants). Fluoro light is fluoro light and it fades (dissipates, if you will) very quickly once it leaves the fixture. Damn photons!

jammie

jammie

i use 400mh because my farm is in the basement and i NEED the extra heat. once the plants get to 12" or so, i spread em out a little and go with a 1k

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I love T-5 for veg. I have a MH next to my T-5 and I like the T-5 better 90% of the time.

fred

deacon1503

deacon1503

U can definitely get the T5 closer to help with the lumen dissapation. Which will produce tighter node growth is the mystery I think.

I

ibTheMan

Get an 8 bulb t-5 set up with the duel on/off switches, 8 bulb t-5's are better cause there bright over a large area.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Another big factor is to cover the whole table area. I would think that with the t5 that I would need to use a 4 foot 8 tube and a 2 foot 4 tube to cover the table. The 2 cool tubes w/ mh would have to go like one big tube from left to right over the table. I have seen some dead spot in lumens between the two tubes in some other grows on the farm.

-TF

I

ibTheMan

you should be able to get the good duel switch 8 bulb t-5 for no more $220 otd at a good hydro shop w/ah discount.
them bulbs are 8=54watts each, they do make an 8 bulber that has 8=96watts bulbs!
them cost alot more.

S

shift00420

Hell 8 bulb t5 $220???? i need to go to ur shop:):):) there $100 more in every shop around here. :passingjoint:

G

grinkeeper

I switched from 400 mh to 4 x 48" t5ho then bought 4 more.. I built a custom rack for the 8 x t5h0 , basicly 2.5 wide by 48" .. works great.. I can grow plants 30 inch no problem... I love them.. runs cool and works fantastic...
IMG 0001 1

IMG 0003 1

IMG 9191 1

IMG 9175 1

IMG 9171 1

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
from my experience, t-5 rule over the mh on shorter plants. Way better coverage, shorter internodes, less electricity, better spread.

-Lead

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

from my experience, t-5 rule over the mh on shorter plants. Way better coverage, shorter internodes, less electricity, better spread.

-Lead

I thought similar. Do you have an opinion on what the max plant height on in veg could be under a T5 would be? I couldn't see more than 18" max required for my room, although it is probably more like 14".

-TF

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I thought similar. Do you have an opinion on what the max plant height on in veg could be under a T5 would be? I couldn't see more than 18" max required for my room, although it is probably more like 14".

-TF
Hard to say without seeing them. I watch for when the lower growth is not getting light penetration.

Also depends on how much you pack em in and the strain. I have gone up to 24" w a 6 bulb. I have let bonsai moms get overgrown up to 3' w a t5, not ideal but they did fine.

for production plants going into flower, I prefer to get em under a stronger light by the time they are 18" tall, but sometimes it does not work out that way.

-Lead

R

Rubijon

I Run 12 buckets under each T-5 untill they are about 14" then sread them out and hit 1000 Watt MH till about 18" and even run the MH for the first few days of flower. Seems to keep everything short and tight.

S

SomeoneYouKnow

T5s have shown to produce stockier (more nodes) and more lush plants than a MH light.

This comes from actual experience, not textbook (read: internet) stories.

Hope it Helps

SYK

T

Tuco

I like T5s mainly for following reasons:

1) plant grows nodier under a t5 vs a MH
2) room runs cooler so wastes less electricity on A/C and/or an inline fan for MH.
3) The plant doesnt grow vertically as fast as a MH.
4) T5 easier to set up and move around as opposed to a MH (ballast, hood, fan, etc)
5) T5 has less pieces to keep track of and takes up less ceiling space

H

Hythloth

Overall i think T5s are best for veg, especially when you use alternating cool and warm bulbs for a wide spectrum range. I've never had better results than with this T5 setup.

HOWEVER:

Most people say T5s run cooler. I think this is only partially true. Their heat is broadcast over a much larger area than a HID bulb, so yes you can get them closer to the plants, however the radiant heat they create can be a huge pain to get rid of in warmer areas. An 8 tube T5 light would heat up a 12x12 bedroom up to 95-100 degrees in a very short time during the summer in a hot southern area.

Air cooled HID reflectors would be much easier to cool in this case, since you can just get a high CFM fan and some ducting, then exhaust all the heat right out the window or into the attic with minimal impact on the overall temperature of the room.

I know all this from experience, and am currently suffering from the heat my 2x 8 tube quantum badboy T5s are currently creating lol. I even have central air. The rest of my house is at 75, and my room with the two 8 tube T5s is still pushing 90 with the door open and 5 oscillating fans and a ceiling fan going.

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I have used 400 watt MH in a 4x4 grow tent..I needed the ballast for flowering(switch to 600 watt HPS with a flip of a switch)..On the next grow switched to 6 bulb t-5, and didn't notice a big difference in overall growth, but I did notice a huge difference in heat build-up, energy cost, and over ease of use(being able to turn off 2 or 4 lights and leave the rest on was a big help)..I would never argue with seamadian(she knows her shit, and is very helpful, and knowledgeable), but in my very humble opinion t-5's win .. over all, cost, heat, ease of use much better then a 400 watt MH ballast set-up...

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Sehr Gut, mein freund!

I DID end up going T5. I love it so far.

140187d1301993700-coco-redemption-free-last-img_2267.jpg.att

-TF

Top Bottom