Michigan’s Snyder Signs Welfare Drug-testing Bills

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signed new legislation Friday to enact a drug-testing program for adult welfare recipients.

The one-year pilot program will be implemented in three counties that have not yet been determined, the Associated Press reported Friday.

Welfare recipients or applicants suspected of drug use will be required to take a drug test. Anyone who refuses to take the test will be suspended from welfare benefits for six months.

If a person tests positive for drugs they will be referred to a treatment program and required to submit periodic drug tests. Refusal to participate in the rehab program will result in a termination of welfare benefits. But benefits can be restored after a person submits a clean drug test.

Mr. Snyder said that the program is intended to help people get clean so they can get good jobs.

“We want to remove the barriers that are keeping people from getting good jobs, supporting their families and living independently,” Mr. Snyder said in a press statement, AP reported. “This pilot program is intended to help ensure recipients get the wrap-around services they need to overcome drug addiction and lead successful lives. We’ll then have opportunity to assess effectiveness and outcomes.”

But opponents of the program say that similar efforts in other states have not been successful, and cost taxpayers more money.

The Senate Fiscal Agency estimated a statewide program would cost nearly $700,000 to $3.4 million, but would only save taxpayers between $370,000 and $3.7 million in caseload reductions, the Associated Press reported.

Other groups, like the American Civil Liberties Union argue that drug testing welfare recipients discriminates against poor people who don’t use drugs at a higher rate than the general population.

“We give out tax credits to schools, we give out tax credits to students, we give out tax credits to police and fire (departments),” Sen. Vincent Gregory, D-Southfield, said earlier this year on the Senate floor, AP reported. “And yet the only (group) that we are now saying is subject to drug screening are the poor — the poorest of the poor."

Such bullshit... I sincerely hope no one who needs MMJ is effected by this bullshit.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

If it costs more money, then get rid of it. However, the scum bags that stay on government assistance and do drugs should be taken off the program forever. I didn't work my entire life to have my money split up amongst low lives.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
If it costs more money, then get rid of it. However, the scum bags that stay on government assistance and do drugs should be taken off the program forever. I didn't work my entire life to have my money split up amongst low lives.

I agree drug users who use the money or food stamps to trade for drugs should be banned from the system, WITH THAT SAID,,,, Florida i believe it was did this bullshit and they only caught 1% of users, BROKE PEOPLE CANT AFFORD DRUGS :P Plus they need the stamps to eat and shit..

Its a misconception to think all welfare users are abusers.

sixstring

sixstring

I think if a person has a mmj card or even a doctors approval for pain meds, script ect they should be fine.they should be looking for illegal drug use only.but I bet thats not how it works lol.i will say im for this, too many abuse the system instead of using it as help to get back on their feet.welfare should be more for sick/disabled folks, single parents, and the elderly and less for lazy bums.seems like I see alot of able bodied men use those damn bridge cards in stores these days.
had a good friend who collected unemployment for years, when that ran out he got a bridge card, think he still has it . I tried to get him to work for me a bunch of times, dude just got lazy and always had his excuses. They made him un-employable imo.and I know he got alot of beer with that damn card :o

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Well welfare in michigan is not a prolonged thing from my understanding you get i think 26 weeks of support then your expected to have a job by then and able to support your self, tho there are extensions and such you can file for, Michigans pretty hard on welfare, they make you go look for jobs and prove then you've been filling out applications and such.

Look at the residents of detroit for example they need help, BAD! and who would be as humans to turn our back and not try and help. Tho i agree a limit needs to be set on how much and how long the help is given after all people do have two feet to stand on. Swallow the pride and take whatever job puts food on your table and a roof over your head. Problem is some of welfare recipients see the hand out as a way to game the system, Those need to weeded out and jailed for any fraudulent offences.

But that also puts a burden on tax payers to pay for there housing and food while in jail, Pay to foster the kids if they have them ect ect,

sixstring

sixstring

I think your talking about unemployment when you say 26 week limit? That is correct but then yes, you get state extension and then the big one....99 wk fed extension :o my buddy did all that, then went for the welfare or should I say bridge card (food stamps, rent ect.)
my brothers daughter is on the latter, once you have 3 kids and still single you can be on it a long long time.now she is just flat out lazy cause my bro will babysit if she wanted to work but shes content to just sit around and collect . meanwhile the father of 2 of those kids pays child support, works his ass off, and takes better care of the kids, even the child that aint his lol.it makes me sick just typing this. And my bro just gives her a free pass so in my mind he's partly to blame.
but she dont do drugs so ill give her that lmao.

Tony69

Tony69

I'm glad at least gov. snyder is trying something to solve an on going problem of generational poverty. I know someone who was able to stay on unemployment for 3 years, yes 36 months of receiving a check without working. In my line of work I see way too many able people gaming the system. Start off by not working, apply for immediate help at your county office, DHS. They will give you cash assistance. They will help you fill out the paper work to get housing. Some people call this section 8. MSHDA is the dept. this will get you a lifetime of free housing, yes free. They will review you once a year, don't worry about it because you'll conform more in a year with all of the goodies coming yet. When you're at DHS your case worker will also fill out your paper work for a Bridge Card. You'll receive $600.00 for a family of 4, but you'll want to add a few more people to the list even though they are not related to you, 6 people in the household will get you just north of $800.00, turn around and sell it for .50 cents on the dollar. The Michigan Bridge card program costs you the tax payer 2.6 billion dollars a year. I love seeing some overweight person wearing pajama bottoms at the gas station buying pop and candy with the bridge card and then pulling out cash to pay for the cigs and beer.

symbiote420

symbiote420

It would be nice if they drug tested the politicians and end corporate welfare.
No need to hand a company making millions or billions a check for more millions.

You hit the nail right on the head homie! WTF??? If this ain't the pot calling the kettle black..... before they go out testing welfare recipients who are getting handed mere crumbs off the table why not test these big wiggers who are responsible for the country's $$$$/laws...... I mean if you want somebody who's getting $600 worth of food stamps to get tested before somebody that could push the red button, etc. then the priorities of this country are even more f'ed up than I thought! This is yet another way to attack the poor, the only drug that stays in your system long enough to catch on a drug test is MJ, most of the hard drugs aren't detected 24 - 72 hrs. after using.

Start up a petition for politicians to get drug screened and watch the shit hit the fan! You can bet your sweet ass they don't want that.

symbiote420

symbiote420

More jobs with better/equal pay that'll get more than half the peeps off welfare. Hate to see the idea passed along that peeps on welfare don't wanna work or are stone cold junkies cause that's a buncha bs, they are willing to work, they (the gov) says the same about us too but I know more MJ smokers with 9 - 5's than I do without one!

shesatoker

shesatoker

LittleDabbie said:
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signed new legislation Friday to enact a drug-testing program for adult welfare recipients.

The one-year pilot program will be implemented in three counties that have not yet been determined, the Associated Press reported Friday.

Welfare recipients or applicants suspected of drug use will be required to take a drug test. Anyone who refuses to take the test will be suspended from welfare benefits for six months.

If a person tests positive for drugs they will be referred to a treatment program and required to submit periodic drug tests. Refusal to participate in the rehab program will result in a termination of welfare benefits. But benefits can be restored after a person submits a clean drug test.

Mr. Snyder said that the program is intended to help people get clean so they can get good jobs.

“We want to remove the barriers that are keeping people from getting good jobs, supporting their families and living independently,” Mr. Snyder said in a press statement, AP reported. “This pilot program is intended to help ensure recipients get the wrap-around services they need to overcome drug addiction and lead successful lives. We’ll then have opportunity to assess effectiveness and outcomes.”

But opponents of the program say that similar efforts in other states have not been successful, and cost taxpayers more money.

The Senate Fiscal Agency estimated a statewide program would cost nearly $700,000 to $3.4 million, but would only save taxpayers between $370,000 and $3.7 million in caseload reductions, the Associated Press reported.

Other groups, like the American Civil Liberties Union argue that drug testing welfare recipients discriminates against poor people who don’t use drugs at a higher rate than the general population.

“We give out tax credits to schools, we give out tax credits to students, we give out tax credits to police and fire (departments),” Sen. Vincent Gregory, D-Southfield, said earlier this year on the Senate floor, AP reported. “And yet the only (group) that we are now saying is subject to drug screening are the poor — the poorest of the poor."

Such bullshit... I sincerely hope no one who needs MMJ is effected by this bullshit.
What a waste of money for only 80,000 people. They could spend the money in a more responsibe way like giving homeless people place to live, or funding education, feeding seniors so they dont have to eat cat food. oh wait maybe single payer health care.

donmekka

donmekka

Ok I get pulled in two directions on this topic.

1) I believe people on welfare should be getting there lives on track not getting drunk or high<all that fun shit comes after you can support yourself/family.

2) Is who the fuck is the government to tell ME what I can and cannot do with my own body? I believe in freedom so this is ultimately the one I stand behind.

Tony69

Tony69

The law does not go after people with Bridge cards. They are looking at people who are on welfare and illegal drugs. People who have a medical card will not have an issue.

When you apply for a job, most employers require a drug test. You are asking to come to there business, exchange your time for a set amount of money. That is what most people encounter for work, or a career.

Welfare people are asking for money, without working, and don't want to be tested for illegal drug use.

I want people who truly need help to receive it, what ever it takes to get them back on there feet. The tax payers are asking the government to hold people accountable, to make sure the money gets to the people who truly need the help, with housing, heat, and food.

K

kolah

The people who hand out free money can make the rules. I think initially welfare ( like workers comp) was set up to actually help people and sadly it got abused. I'd rather see welfare set up like unemployment insurance, collect for a year or so and that's it.

And why not even the playing field by having random drugs tests for cops and politicians.

Top Bottom