Michigan medical cannabis laws,

• Thread starter 67 broward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

67 broward

The medical marijuana industry in Michigan has had a rough go of it over the past year, with scores of dispensaries closing shop under intense pressure from local and state officials.
Blame it on a controversial appeals court ruling that determined the state’s MMJ law doesn’t specifically permit the sale of medical cannabis at storefront dispensaries (or anywhere else, for that matter). In other words, the court said dispensaries are illegal.
But that wasn’t the final word on MMJ in Michigan.
This week, the Michigan Supreme Court began examining the issue,hearing oral arguments on Thursday tied to the appeals court’s decision.
The state’s beleaguered medical marijuana industry is hoping the court will overturn the previous ruling, which would breathe life back into the MMJ business in Michigan. If the Supreme Court upholds the ruling, however, Michigan’s remaining dispensaries could be forced to close down.
Now that the ball is rolling, a decision on the matter could come by the end of the year or even earlier.
The court will essentially decide whether dispensaries can exist despite the fact that the state’s medical marijuana law is extremely vague when it comes to how the drug is to be distributed. Medical marijuana advocates argue that dispensaries should be allowed because a) most patients have no other way to get cannabis because the rules are so vague and b) the MMJ law doesn’t specifically ban them.
The law allows individual caregivers to grow a limited number of plants for a handful of patients. But finding a caregiver can be difficult, and many patients don’t have the time, skills or resources to grow their own.
State lawmakers are also trying to clear up confusion over Michigan’s medical cannabis program and are considering new regulations.

S

swisscheese

Thanks for the useful and informative post 67 I appreciate when this type of info is shared with the community, its good to know what's going on. Is there anything regular people can do to try and swing the supreme court in patients and caregivers favor?

67 broward

No .. Michigan Supreme Court case is about the storefront dispensaries. Clearing up the confusion about them..However the good in this is that when they hand down there ruling it will ethier open more or close them all. I;m looking for a favorable ruling to grant more storefront dispensaries.As for helping out the cause..Just spread the word.

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Thats a good point kooter. (Whats up my freind?) Reclassification is another issye on a totally diffrent level. Thats one that will be pushed by states.voting medical and rec use in. Eventually the Feds will have to fold. The "war on drugs" is an obsulete idea that failed WONDERFULLY. Its a damn shame the continue to push it.
But!!! As the old, wrinkley, conservative traditionalists, who were brainwashed with propaganda, are retiring, dying off or moving on, and our generations begin to gain controll, we can see the countries evolution.
The battles are getting easier to win. Patience is, and alwayz has been the damn virtue. Power to the PEOPLE!!!
Quest

P

Pluribus.Maximus

I agree with you too koot, the only way to truly move forward is to reverse Richard Nixons perverse lawmaking putting marijuana in the same category as herion. Didn't he get impeached? DUH....... My mom is near 80 years old and she stands behind me in my efforts to improve my quality of life. She know what path I took when I was diagnosed with rheumatic fever and rhumatoid arthritis at age 15 and it wasn't a life of taking opiates to alleviate pain. I take antibiotics for infection and medicate for pain and remain sane the only way God intended.

Latest posts

Top Bottom