Microwave Cannabutter?

• Thread starter Hellno187
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hellno187

Hellno187

I've got lots of trim and so I'm trying my hand at making cannabutter for the first time. I made a small test batch (because it's my first time) in a sauce pan on a stove. However it didn't come out right smell and taste wise, I think I may have got the pan too hot and burnt it slightly. With my next small test batch I was thinking why not try the microwave since a have a low 700 watt one. So before I do it I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone (probably most everyone) had done it before, and if so what were the results and how did you do it?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If your microwave has variable power, I'd use a lower setting. Honestly though, I think something like a crockpot would work better because it's designed to maintain a certain temperature for a certain period of time, whereas the microwave doesn't have temperature control, only power control.

I've never done it, I don't do medibles. You can also use a rice cooker I'd be willing to bet, it's what I use to make oil.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
P.s. microwaves will Potentially destroy all the cannabanoids in the product.

How? I often read and hear people saying don't use them because they'll destroy, but I have yet to find anything conclusive or that discusses the issue with specificity. I'm always up to learn more!

straincreation

straincreation

Well you figure that at anything over boiling point 212f* will begin combustion. So esentially vaping your weed. Or product. Like you stated above there no control. And we have no idea what the actual microwave does on a molecular level to the thc. It may do nothing, it may morph, we dont know. All i kmow it you cannot keep a micro wave at less than 200 degrees for 8 hours. So in the end you are either over cooking or not cooking anough to properly extract. Every cannabanoid that is avalible. Via under cooking.

Dont get me wrong its worth a try but to be honest in this situation if it aint broke dont fix it.

Call me bias but it just seems that it wouldnt be sufficiant.
Happy farmin;)

Hellno187

Hellno187

OK so crock pot seems to be the consensus so I bought a thrift store crock pot and that's what I'm going to use. I read add an ounce per pound of butter with 2.5 quarts of water stir every now and again and let it stew on low for 24 hours. Now the water thing is what I'm not sure about because recipes vary between 1 cup, 4 cups and no water at all per pound of butter. I believe the water is there to counteract evaporation, but just how much if any is really necessary? What have you all used for good results?

Last edited:
Hellno187

Hellno187

Correction water is not for evaporation but is there to reduce the marijuana taste in the butter right? Also my crock pot lid doesn't sit completely flush (we're talking less the a 16th of an inch of gap space), where you can teeter the lid a little. Is this going to be a major issue? Sorry about all the questions, I like being really thorough down to the smallest minutia as you can tell lol.

straincreation

straincreation

Correction water is not for evaporation but is there to reduce the marijuana taste in the butter right? Also my crock pot lid doesn't sit completely flush (we're talking less the a 16th of an inch of gap space), where you can teeter the lid a little. Is this going to be a major issue? Sorry about all the questions, I like being really thorough down to the smallest minutia as you can tell lol.
All is good. Your gap should be fine. Water is there to do both counter act evap and making so your butter doesnt keep so much chlorophil. These are my assumptionw. So what i do is fill it with herb top off with water about an inch above material. Then add my four sticks of butter. Be aware that you will occasionally have to top off with water due to evaporation. But this will be only once or twice. Slow and low. And you got some butter. Strain threw cheese cloth. Put in fridge it will seperate from the water and your good to go. I like to drizzle some olive oil or cocnut oil or grape seed oil in there with it. Its a better catalyst than the butter on the fats molecular levEl.

Happy farmin
time for 4/20 poker night. Ill be back tommorow. ;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
OK so crock pot seems to be the consensus so I bought a thrift store crock pot and that's what I'm going to use. I read add an ounce per pound of butter with 2.5 quarts of water stir every now and again and let it stew on low for 24 hours. Now the water thing is what I'm not sure about because recipes vary between 1 cup, 4 cups and no water at all per pound of butter. I believe the water is there to counteract evaporation, but just how much if any is really necessary? What have you all used for good results?
Yes, water is there to pull the green nasty ganky shit. Use coconut oil instead of butter, its fats make a better transporter of THC.

You can "wash" the budder, too, if it comes out too green. Melt it, mix with water for a while at cooking temp, then cool and pull the budder.

Hellno187

Hellno187

Cool, one last question, there isn't any chance of the crock pot burning my butter is there? I bought an old one at the thrift store like I stated before and it has two setting low and high, I've got it on low of course. Oh and I'll try coconut oil next time Seamaiden because I already have butter in there. However with coconut oil I'll have to find different ways to use it, because I can't really bake it in things such as cookies like I can butter right?

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I'm guessing here.
The water you had in there evaporated. Leaving the leaves exposed to air and the sides of the crock pot. Cooking the leaves.

Next time just add more water or keep adding a little at a time

Hellno187

Hellno187

Yeah I'm thinking water was my problem (or lack thereof), so I'm drowning the shit next batch lol.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Yes, water was the issue. I find after about 12-16 hours of cooking I need to add a fair amount of water. The idea behind the water is to also have an even cook an all the material, without overheating. (besides the reasons mentioned above)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Cool, one last question, there isn't any chance of the crock pot burning my butter is there? I bought an old one at the thrift store like I stated before and it has two setting low and high, I've got it on low of course. Oh and I'll try coconut oil next time Seamaiden because I already have butter in there. However with coconut oil I'll have to find different ways to use it, because I can't really bake it in things such as cookies like I can butter right?
Sure you can!

seaslug

seaslug

A month ago, I made cannabutter for the first time. I used a Westbend (metal) slow cooker, unsalted butter and plenty of water to let it slowly bubble overnight. The chlorophyl taste is still there but what I love is no "crunchies" that I always used to get with Mexican brick weed, even screened.

I bought coconut oil from amazon for next time. It is a semisolid (unless you buy the liquid type) so think of it like Crisco. Amazon suggested a nice big straining bag to go with it--nice! I'm using cheese cloth right now (paint department).

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

To get rid of the taste. Take your solid butter and put it back in the crock pot with water.
Freeze. Dump water. Scrape the foamy gunk and toss it.
If you repeat this process you will have a less weed tasting butter which I can't stand.

seaslug

seaslug

I put most of my butter in the freezer; I was thinking of clarifying it as you suggest. It was ruining the taste of foods I love (whole wheat english muffins, pancakes) so I've been waiting to make cookies or something.

I went with the standard recommendation of an ounce of bud per pound of butter and I'm glad I did. Why do kids do ecstasy and molly? I get the same effect (without the dialated pupils) from bud.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom