Might mix LED and HPS. 40 lights. Input?

• Thread starter chi_weezy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chi_weezy

I’m about to start a room up with a buddy and we are used to HPS. We had 26 lights but at 5x6 footprint. We want to expand to 40 lights, have plenty of room. But want to keep power down and not add a ton of heat. So the idea is to alternate LEDs with 1k HPS. Save on electricity as well as cooling, and get some experience with LEDs.

Anybody do this and have a good suggestion for layout? Bad idea? Been wanting to flower with LEDs also so this maybe a good transition. Medium will be Grodan blocks on 1G coco bags, drippers, Aroya, all the good stuff. Any ideas or experience appreciated.

C

chi_weezy

Well my friend is running alternating HPS and LeD. He recommends it. He does say he notices different plant tendencies like more leaves and foliage on the LEDs, and rounder bud shape. But nothing so noticeable that the flower needs to be separated. He says the power and heat savings are great. Will report back for anyone else who’s interested

T

tonythc

I’m about to start a room up with a buddy and we are used to HPS. We had 26 lights but at 5x6 footprint. We want to expand to 40 lights, have plenty of room. But want to keep power down and not add a ton of heat. So the idea is to alternate LEDs with 1k HPS. Save on electricity as well as cooling, and get some experience with LEDs.

Anybody do this and have a good suggestion for layout? Bad idea? Been wanting to flower with LEDs also so this maybe a good transition. Medium will be Grodan blocks on 1G coco bags, drippers, Aroya, all the good stuff. Any ideas or experience appreciated.

T

tonythc

Hi, i found mixing them gave me awesome results, on par with the hps but there is a learning curve to get through. i found that you dont save on power as what you take away with hps in terms of watts you still have to add with led to maintain the same yield but controlling room temp is way easier. I grew northern lights x hase and another strain (dont know the name of) both strain produced the same within a couple ounces (6.5 LBS per plant). i Use coco mixed with perlite as a medium and run to waste method of watering.

C

chi_weezy

Hi, i found mixing them gave me awesome results, on par with the hps but there is a learning curve to get through. i found that you dont save on power as what you take away with hps in terms of watts you still have to add with led to maintain the same yield but controlling room temp is way easier. I grew northern lights x hase and another strain (dont know the name of) both strain produced the same within a couple ounces (6.5 LBS per plant). i Use coco mixed with perlite as a medium and run to waste method of watering.
Thanks. Ya I’m gonna run with it. Just trying to find some good budget or second hand LEDs for a 5x4’ footprint. Gonna get UC lights as well. Hmm well instead of 40 HPS that use 4-5amps @ 240v I’m gonna use 20 and then use 20 LEDs that use I think 2.6 amps so nearly half the amperage

Top Bottom