Milky mineral deposit on leaves from humidifier

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Andy

Andy

Hi all,

I have an issue that I’ve just identified - my humidifier had been depositing a layer of milky deposit over the leaves of my plants that is making them suffer. I realise this is the minerals in the humidifier’s water supply & I could stop this happening by using RO water in the humidifier which I might do from now on.

For now, though, I have to get this white mineral deposit off the leaves - which is the best way? Should I just wipe them down with a cloth? Or should I dip the plant upside down into a bucket of water to rinse everything off? Thanks - and here’ a photo of what the deposit looks like & the damage it’s doing:

Milky mineral deposit on leaves from humidifier
Milky mineral deposit on leaves from humidifier 2
Milky mineral deposit on leaves from humidifier 3
BigCube

BigCube

Assuming it is mineral deposit and not WPM, just spray them down with ro water. A good rain should wash them down good. Make sure you do it with enough hours of light left to dry them.

Might have to do it a few times to get it all. Leave a couple days between "rains" to let it dry out good.

If it's not mineral and is in fact white powdery mildew, doing anything like that would make it worse.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes use ro water for sonic humidifiers or calcium dust will spray all over everything.

I didn't know when i used to use one. I even had to vacuum out my carbon filter.

Andy

Andy

Thanks guys, I’ll wash it off - I’m pretty sure it’s not WPM. I wonder if I can use a demineralisation cartridge filter - that way I can avoid having to use a whole RO setup just for the humidifier..

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It sounds like you have very hard water and using a misting humidifier which transfers the minerals... the evaporative humidifiers don't cause the minerals to be deposited on the surfaces. I would check to see if it can be rinsed off with plain water, although it might take a little Ph manipulation to make them dissolve depending on how they react to plain water. The reason I said that Ph adjustment might be needed is that some of the minerals might need slightly acidic or alkaline properties to dissolve the minerals if they on't come off with plain water.

Andy

Andy

Ahh I think you’re right - this might be harder to get off than simply washing it off. Its an HR50 humidifier which i think is an impeller type, which does indeed deposit calcium etc. The background EC of the mains water recently went from 0.4 to 0.9 for some reason which is quite shocking and is probably responsible. I think I might be forced to go to RO or filtered water.

My problem then is to work out how to get the damn stuff off the leaves while damaging them as little as possible. As you say, maybe a simple PH change would do it. I’ve looked around and people get it off their kit with vinegar but they have to scrub & wipe to do so. I’d have to be a lot more delicate with the plant’s leaves.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

You have to use RO with humidifiers, otherwise it A) Kills the filters or B) Crop dusts your room

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Thanks guys, I’ll wash it off - I’m pretty sure it’s not WPM. I wonder if I can use a demineralisation cartridge filter - that way I can avoid having to use a whole RO setup just for the humidifier..

Demineralization happens by introducing salt. Ocean grown ;)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ahh I think you’re right - this might be harder to get off than simply washing it off. Its an HR50 humidifier which i think is an impeller type, which does indeed deposit calcium etc. The background EC of the mains water recently went from 0.4 to 0.9 for some reason which is quite shocking and is probably responsible. I think I might be forced to go to RO or filtered water.

My problem then is to work out how to get the damn stuff off the leaves while damaging them as little as possible. As you say, maybe a simple PH change would do it. I’ve looked around and people get it off their kit with vinegar but they have to scrub & wipe to do so. I’d have to be a lot more delicate with the plant’s leaves.

Should dust right off.

Andy

Andy

Thanks MIMedgrower, helpful as always 👍.

Do you mean without water? So just wipe with a dry cloth?

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I guess it might wipe off if it was dry when it was deposited. If it was wet or damp, it might have solidified into something mineral like. If you can't just wipe it off, a very slightly acidic solution might neutralize it, like vinegar... but be very careful not to get too acidic and burn your plant. Changing the watering Ph won't help as it needs to be sprayed on the leaves. On another side of things... you might be OK with just letting it alone and it might just outgrow it without any ill effects. Any new growth shouldn't be affected unless the coated leaves die and it stunts the plant.

Andy

Andy

Actually I think I’ll follow that advice and let the plants be. As you say the new growth won’t be affected and I won’t stress the plants by washing them down. I’m getting an RO
unit for the humidifier tomorrow, which I should have done ages ago anyway. Thanks all for the advice, this forum is a life saver.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks MIMedgrower, helpful as always 👍.

Do you mean without water? So just wipe with a dry cloth?

If i remember right it was easy to blow off with a fan. I guess if the humidity was high and the leaves are wet it could need more work. Like a lightly damp paper towel or cloth to wipe it off.

If it doesnt wipe off easy it might not be the humidifier dust. I really dont remember it being tough to clean up. I used a vacuum hose for most of it. But my circulation fans kept most of it off the leaves.

CannaTech

CannaTech

I have this happen with my RO water supply using an IDEAL Air 75 pint. So clearly using RO water is not the solution. RO water still has some minerals in it and apparently 15ppm water will cause it to happen too. I have not yet tried distilled water, but what use is it to have a 1/4 water supply line to a device that you cannot use..

Top Bottom