Milwaukee PH meter?? Any Good??

• Thread starter Rootbound
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I have decided to invest in a new ph meter. I have been using the pen style for a while. Recently my pen started acting up. The one I am interested in is the Milwaukee SM101, It is not the pen style but is portable. Does any one have any experience with this one or any Milwaukee ph meters? Here is a link to the one I am lookin at. Thanks RB

P

pigfarmer

I've been thru 3 of the SM101's & a friend has been thru 2.. They work great for 4-6months b4 they will not calibrate correctly. New probe doesn't seem to fix them either..

I've found all the $80-100 Ph meters to last about this long. Been thru thick & thin with most every brand of meter out there a time or 2...

If your looking for sumthing that will last, I'd go with a ISFET meter. More costly but is not built to be a throw away meter & will be cheaper in the long run. No Glass bulb tip & the probe can dry out w/o causing harm.

O

Outlaw Grower

Breeder
Supporter
i been using a milwaukee sm802 for a couple years now works great but probe needs replaced every year unless your totaly anal about cleaning it and storing it. shitty thing is the repacement probes are like $80

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Thanks for the replies!!! I will look into the ISFET meter. Anyone else??

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
How long did it take to get a stable reading with the sm101?? RB

P

pigfarmer

Its pretty quick unless trying to measure R/0 with minimal amounts of nutes.. I'd say about 5seconds and it would be done jumping around.... I really liked the Milwaukees, just got tired of them flaking out over time. :headbang

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Thanks again PF!!! I hope Santa is good to me! I put the ISFET on my X-MAS list. RB

B

Buzz

I have used tons of meters for ph the reality is they break.
i use a simple chemical test for 7 bucks and it always works 100%

F

Finalopagus

Tri meter from Nutradip.
I have used em for 3 years, clean and calibrate once a month
good to go

S

Stackin Paper

Essentials ph tester, had a bluelab 1 but seems to have the same problem as the 1 described, after 4-6 months it wouldn't calibrate and the replacement probe didn't wanna work either.

The essentials 1 is the easiest ph pen i ever used.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Thanks all!!! Where do you get an essentials from Stackin? Thanks RB

S

Stackin Paper

Im not sure but its made by a company called hydrogarden, they are a big company so shouldn't be hard to get hold of.

Just had a look and can only find them on uk sites man, might not be able to get them if you're not in the uk unless you wanna pay shipping.

R

RansacktheElder

I've never used one, but speaking as a fairly skilled tradesman, Milwaukee makes some of the highest quality tools out there.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

sorry to revive a old thread but i found it actually via google as i just had the same issue with this same unit. purchased a new probe and within 3 weeks the meter was all over the place again. i borrowed a nutradrip tri meter and sure enough both probes are fine. i emailed Milwaukee and complained maybe they will respond. regardless im off to buy a cheapo replacement for the time being and i will figure out which to buy surely not that IQ one that's stainless and can be stored dry its $665! its awesome but im not spending that much i'd go back to drops first.

S

Socolkid05

i have the sm 100 and i think it is the greatest ever i think these guys arent takin care of there shit...anything only works as good as you treat it...Milwaukee is one of the best in my head. fuck oakton

B

brncow

Milwaukee is crap....Oaktron not much better....maybe Hanna or HM Digital's PH-200

S

smokestack23

Frick man...I buy the 5 dollar yellow ones (same housing as Milwaukee) from Hong Kong from eBay. I bought one about a year ago and after about a onth it was reading sporadically so I emailed the seller. He sent a replacement. The first one started working fine again.
I have to calibrate them about once a month. I clean them with a toothbrush about that often too and I don't store them in anything. As soon as one finally packs it in I'll order two more.
I keep a bottle of aquarium pH tester around too just for the occaisonal confirmation that these cheap hunk of junk meters are telling the truth and...they do.
they even come with calibration solutions and free batteries. Heck..gotta be 6 bucks worth just in those 3 little watch batteries. At LEAST.

So for the price of an $80 replacement probe I can buy 7 of the cheap meters which should last me about ten years. Even if they only last for 5 years...or three..or even two...I still figure I'm ahead. I can almost GUARANTEE though that 15 of the 5 dollar meters will last a good 5 years.

As was said...even the more expensive ones don't last forever.

T

tree king

idk about that dog i have a bad ass milwaukee 802 love this meter

venom i found 2 different 802's. do you have the green one or the white one? heres the 2 different ones i found
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Ins...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1319582535&sr=1-1

http://www.eseasongear.com/miinmwsmphec1.html

i originally wanted to get the bluelab gardian but the tds only goes up in increments of 50 at a time, what type of crap is that. i love my oakton hand held meter but they dont seem to make a continuous one which is what im looking for. im thinking Milwaukee now cause ive heard alot of bad things about hanna

Top Bottom