• Thread starter MIMedGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
newh

newh

Oooops!

I have been letting all the pots dry out an extra day for a few weeks now. Seems i was overwatering the new to me soil mother earth groundswell which has tons of perlite in it. It tricked me.

All has been fine with very little leaf drooping but it has been much hotter last few days and i have not started air conditioning yet and i did not expect.........

This.

View attachment 871025
So I didnt want to fertilize on dry soil as the ec will already be high due to the lack of water so I poured in a half gallon of fresh water slowly and let her absorb it a while.

Then i mixed a medium dose of pure blend pro grow and slowly in steps poured in a gallon of nute mixture.

Buds seem unaffected. The top most leaves had only drooped half way.
View attachment 871026View attachment 871027

Wait and hope I guess. I figured about 2 more weeks to harvest.

On the plus side. With the bti from the mosquito dunk water. The yellow sticky cards and the much drier pots i only see one or two gnats now. And i never discarded the infected soil. I actually kept using it.

I wanted to prove to myself gnats get out of control from overwatering plants.

Im sure now.
Im down to just a few remnant gnats myself,the bt works

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Im down to just a few remnant gnats myself,the bt works

It was not effective for me until i dried out the pots more. Seems to work but the flyers keep laying eggs all around. So the gnats would seem to die down a while then come back with a vengeance!

Im thinking i have had infected bags of soil before but they never got hold because of my long dry cycle.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Good info on rehydrating the soil before adding the nutes.

Maybe this is why I see buds swell with the drying of the soil medium, the concentration of nutrients in the water increases and the plants get a bit of a boost.

It is because of what you said in the other thread. The roots are getting more oxygen and they uptake better on the dry to moist side.

FTCG

FTCG

Makes perfect sense to me, just adding water leaches nutrients from the soil.

I only add water, and I am going to this crop just to prevent any issues, but I am going to experiment with some of your method adding nutes later on in the flowering cycle.

My dirt beds may be deceiving me, and when the root growth slows or stops nearing harvest, my plants probably need supplementation to compensate for the roots no longer stretching out for more minerals.

Lots learned over here, thanks.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

A few hours later she started coming back

FEF5D025 88C7 493F BF72 91AFA70BE731

Whew!

Ina

Ina

And why do you mix mediums?
Why really?All of my friend started to add coco in the mix?!Of course they have wonderful results but.... to add bricks of coco outdoors in Bulgaria?!!!!:D I find it pointless,i mean unnecessary....:)Also many BG brands that produce good soil mixes started to add it recently (and they were better with only zeolites and perlite and a touch of warmcastings,much better,than they added more strange amendments).Or I personally just cant manage it right may be... Messing with my watering and I don't see any benefit from the coco ,mixed with the peat,it cant be substitute for perlite as some of my friends tell me,it even retains moisture differently than peat...…O,well I don't want it in the mix haha

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Why really?All of my friend started to add coco in the mix?!Of course they have wonderful results but.... to add bricks of coco outdoors in Bulgaria?!!!!:D I find it pointless,i mean unnecessary....:)Also many BG brands that produce good soil mixes started to add it recently (and they were better with only zeolites and perlite and a touch of warmcastings,much better,than they added more strange amendments).Or I personally just cant manage it right may be... Messing with my watering and I don't see any benefit from the coco ,mixed with the peat,it cant be substitute for perlite as some of my friends tell me,it even retains moisture differently than peat...…O,well I don't want it in the mix haha

It sure is popular. Fox farm and pro mix both offer peat with coco added.

But in this case the coco is amended and it would need different amounts of lime and such for balance than acidic peat.

If a company mixes it at least the proportions should be correct. But on forums i see 50/50 mix by growers and no mention of other ratios like lime. They are just guessing about it all.

Phylex

Phylex

Just to play devils advocate without any real knowledge of how this came to be; hypothetical

This may have started out as an experiment to see if there was a better option then one stand alone medium. Maybe the thought was trying to combine two mediums in an attempt to get the benefits from both. Similar to the idea/experiment of breeding an indica with a sativa or two different strains in an attempt to get the best qualities out of both and trying to put them into one plant.

1. From my understanding, plants grow bigger/quicker in straight coco than they do in soil. Maybe the thought was to increase the growth of the plant. While not nearly as much as coco alone, but more than just plain soil.

2. Again, from my understanding, coco needs to be watered multiple times per day due to its inability to retain water and nutrients. Maybe the thought on this was to carry over the water and nutrient retention so it only needs to be watered similarly to soil.

3. With the soil choice of FFOF, which is known to run hot, maybe cutting/diluting it with coco was an attempt to get the medium from being so hot.

4. FFOF is often amended with additional perlite due to it's poor drainage. Adding coco may have been an attempt to assist with the drainage. Along with the added perlite.

Some things we do started out as accidents, or an idea someone had, tried, and ended up proving to have some sort of benefit. Other ideas have miserably failed. This probably isn't any different. Someone had an idea and tried it. Is it better? Does it work as intended? I couldn't tell you. It's all I've used so far, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But I do know the person I got this from, who's since stopped running this combination, said while they've ran it this way for a long time, they had difficulty keeping all of the plants happy from start to finish. It always seemed to them like they were dealing with a deficiency at some point or another during their grows. So they've switched back to straight soil.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just to play devils advocate without any real knowledge of how this came to be; hypothetical

This may have started out as an experiment to see if there was a better option then one stand alone medium. Maybe the thought was trying to combine two mediums in an attempt to get the benefits from both. Similar to the idea/experiment of breeding an indica with a sativa or two different strains in an attempt to get the best qualities out of both and trying to put them into one plant.

1. From my understanding, plants grow bigger/quicker in straight coco than they do in soil. Maybe the thought was to increase the growth of the plant. While not nearly as much as coco alone, but more than just plain soil.

2. Again, from my understanding, coco needs to be watered multiple times per day due to its inability to retain water and nutrients. Maybe the thought on this was to carry over the water and nutrient retention so it only needs to be watered similarly to soil.

3. With the soil choice of FFOF, which is known to run hot, maybe cutting/diluting it with coco was an attempt to get the medium from being so hot.

4. FFOF is often amended with additional perlite due to it's poor drainage. Adding coco may have been an attempt to assist with the drainage. Along with the added perlite.

Some things we do started out as accidents, or an idea someone had, tried, and ended up proving to have some sort of benefit. Other ideas have miserably failed. This probably isn't any different. Someone had an idea and tried it. Is it better? Does it work as intended? I couldn't tell you. It's all I've used so far, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But I do know the person I got this from, who's since stopped running this combination, said while they've ran it this way for a long time, they had difficulty keeping all of the plants happy from start to finish. It always seemed to them like they were dealing with a deficiency at some point or another during their grows. So they've switched back to straight soil.

It is added for drainage. Its probably cheaper than perlite. It is neutral and cant hurt anything. Unless it is already ph’ed and ammended coco.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thing is coco is sustainable amd peat is not so it is used to help the environment.

Not helpful if peat is added.

And conversely coco is not adding the organic benefits of peat.

But is it really a compromise or even better?

Phylex

Phylex

It is added for drainage. Its probably cheaper than perlite. It is neutral and cant hurt anything. Unless it is already ph’ed and ammended coco.

Like the one I use. lol

Thing is coco is sustainable amd peat is not so it is used to help the environment.

Not helpful if peat is added.

And conversely coco is not adding the organic benefits of peat.

But is it really a compromise or even better?

After sending you that screen shot, what I use is apparently blonde sphagnum peat moss mixed with coco fiber and ph'd with limestone. I truthfully had no idea what I was buying. I literally walked into the hydro shop, and asked if they had any coco. Ironically they had just received a major order of this stuff they pointed me to. It had just arrived from Denmark. The order was literally filling 60-70% of their warehouse. They said all of the dispensaries in our area were switching to this as their new medium. They talked it up, as you would expect a salesman would. I had only mentioned coco in my conversation as did they. So being inexperienced, that's what I figured it was. Just coco. lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Like the one I use. lol

After sending you that screen shot, what I use is apparently blonde sphagnum peat moss mixed with coco fiber and ph'd with limestone. I truthfully had no idea what I was buying. I literally walked into the hydro shop, and asked if they had any coco. Ironically they had just received a major order of this stuff they pointed me to. It had just arrived from Denmark. The order was literally filling 60-70% of their warehouse. They said all of the dispensaries in our area were switching to this as their new medium. They talked it up, as you would expect a salesman would. I had only mentioned coco in my conversation as did they. So being inexperienced, that's what I figured it was. Just coco. lol

Hey you are making it work so it works.

I tried mixing soils before. I think i went wrong adding too much worm castings but never tried again.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Did some more topping on the stretchiest Toxic Blue branches. Trying to make bushes and deter the wild branching of their mom.

B406B8E4 5991 43AF A54E 57FE2BE93ABD
21B6D4EB 3ABC 4998 A258 53080C85301A
4B123C4A CF85 4BB1 9BEF 3CCD83D1C3F6

And the little Herijuana x Jack 33 s-1 is growing fast. This was the last watering in the cup. She will need the one gallon pretty quick now.

Axel Rose

Axel Rose

That toxic blue really needs that... Wild and outta control. I still cant believe the yield and time frame that strain is pushing out... I can see why you keep it around. Veg tent is looking clean and you plants look happy and ready to spread out into an uncontrollable bush again, nice job👍🏼

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That toxic blue really needs that... Wild and outta control. I still cant believe the yield and time frame that strain is pushing out... I can see why you keep it around. Veg tent is looking clean and you plants look happy and ready to spread out into an uncontrollable bush again, nice job👍🏼

Thanks man. I actually only cloned her because my seed order was cancelled by the breeder with no warning.

Every seed resulted in those big bushes. I only cloned the one i had. I didnt even select her. I have seen the pheno or a very close one and this is how i ran the cutting for tests a couple years ago.

Im going to pick a few more ch9 plants to keep running as i am running out of seeds and after almost 5 years of loyalty to him i will try new stuff.

Problem is i am not set up for regular seeds. I have been doing a seed at a time feminized this whole time growing.

I need to re think veg and the 3x3 wont be enough space.

Axel Rose

Axel Rose

Thanks man. I actually only cloned her because my seed order was cancelled by the breeder with no warning.

Every seed resulted in those big bushes. I only cloned the one i had. I didnt even select her. I have seen the pheno or a very close one and this is how i ran the cutting for tests a couple years ago.

Im going to pick a few more ch9 plants to keep running as i am running out of seeds and after almost 5 years of loyalty to him i will try new stuff.

Problem is i am not set up for regular seeds. I have been doing a seed at a time feminized this whole time growing.

I need to re think veg and the 3x3 wont be enough space.
Right on I remember you posting on that... Thats a bummer but now that you know what you were looking for, you got a good chance of keeping a good assortment of high quality strains you found from your own seeds. That's gotta be the beauty of running your strains for years. It's going to be interesting to she how fast they kick back into veg compared to feminized seeds.

Is there no more femenized options from him?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Right on I remember you posting on that... Thats a bummer but now that you know what you were looking for, you got a good chance of keeping a good assortment of high quality strains you found from your own seeds. That's gotta be the beauty of running your strains for years. It's going to be interesting to she how fast they kick back into veg compared to feminized seeds.

Is there no more femenized options from him?

I dont know what happened to him. He just got weird and paranoid and its not the first time.

What do you mean by kicked back to veg compared to feminized seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom