Mineral deficiency caused by calcium lockout ?

• Thread starter Ites
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Ites

Greetings community !
Great website. I visit often.
So I'm in Cali and were in a wicked drought. I live in a community that has a private well. It's usually in the 150 ppm range and I was just using a tall boy. At the end of the summer, as the well gets closer to the bottom because the rain hasn't hit yet, the ppm goes up. Last year went up to 250. I first started to see purple stripes on stalks and purple stems and didn't trip too hard because several people on here believe it's just a sign of some purple strains. Mine is thin mint which is purple so I waited....started to see a lot of yellow and some dead spots and knew something was definitely wrong.(dead spots more on older growth, but yellow everywhere even brand new growth. Checked the ppm of my tap on a hunch and it was 400 ppm ''!!!!!!flushed for 2 days, fed once. Went and bought an ro and my Ppm are down to below 10. Flushed with the RO. (That's 3 flushes in a week but 2 of them were with 400 ppm . I haven't had the water tested so I guess I'm a bit blind, but calcium is the most likely culprit ? So , now I'm not sure.....I've been all over looking at pics of deficiency and it looks to me like a bit of everything. Looks like phosphorous def. -purple hard stems calcium def.? Yellowing looks like magnesium def. to me . Dead spots look like calcium deficiency and I even have some red / purple hues on the leaves that look like molybdenum def. .....oh! And it's only one plant but looks like iron def. because of a few leaves that look bleached white!
So I guess my question is twofold. I've looked at molders mineral wheel and understand the antagonistic properties that some minerals have with other minerals......I'm trying to find how to test my tap water cuz I'm curious, but have an RO now, so it might be moot, but I'm curious. Anyway, some people have told me to go crazy with cal mag, 10 ml per gallon. Good friend told me about cutting edge mag amp and I'm using it as a foliar only ,for 3 days now. ( magnesium sulfate instead of mag nitrate just to cut down on nitrate room). I'm wondering if it sounds like I have multiple deficiencies because of too much calcium ? And what to do about it. I'm seeing all these signs of deficiencies and I'm dying to do something about it, but am worried that it all started because of too much calcium and might make things worse.
Btw, my ph is great. 5.8 everyday without exception. Air is great 75 degrees all the time. Co2, water temp is between 69 and 70. I use mostly GH, and cal mag. Carboload and great white beneficials. For thin mint, I have gotten the best flavor from gh , cal mag,and carboload.
If anyone cares to comment, I'm also trying to understand why gh puts 5% calcium in their micro.....everyone that uses gh seems to also use cal mag,but when I look at the labels it seems like there's already Aalto of cal and mag in their three part......

urban1026835

urban1026835

not to be redundant but could you post a pic please? Would really help get your problems diagnosed.

I

Ites

Leaf from lower middle of plant ImageImage

I

Ites

Image Image
So first pic is lower half of plant. Yellow. 2nd is purple striping on stems. 3rd is leaf all the way at bottom of plant with dead spots. 4th is the purple reddish on leaves I mentioned. I'm gonna upload one more of leaf more toward upper area of plant with dead spots. Brand now growth looks little better. Still not as dark green as I'd like. But no dead spots,

N

nightmarecreature

Greetings community !
Great website. I visit often.
So I'm in Cali and were in a wicked drought. I live in a community that has a private well. It's usually in the 150 ppm range and I was just using a tall boy. At the end of the summer, as the well gets closer to the bottom because the rain hasn't hit yet, the ppm goes up. Last year went up to 250. I first started to see purple stripes on stalks and purple stems and didn't trip too hard because several people on here believe it's just a sign of some purple strains. Mine is thin mint which is purple so I waited....started to see a lot of yellow and some dead spots and knew something was definitely wrong.(dead spots more on older growth, but yellow everywhere even brand new growth. Checked the ppm of my tap on a hunch and it was 400 ppm ''!!!!!!flushed for 2 days, fed once. Went and bought an ro and my Ppm are down to below 10. Flushed with the RO. (That's 3 flushes in a week but 2 of them were with 400 ppm . I haven't had the water tested so I guess I'm a bit blind, but calcium is the most likely culprit ? So , now I'm not sure.....I've been all over looking at pics of deficiency and it looks to me like a bit of everything. Looks like phosphorous def. -purple hard stems calcium def.? Yellowing looks like magnesium def. to me . Dead spots look like calcium deficiency and I even have some red / purple hues on the leaves that look like molybdenum def. .....oh! And it's only one plant but looks like iron def. because of a few leaves that look bleached white!
So I guess my question is twofold. I've looked at molders mineral wheel and understand the antagonistic properties that some minerals have with other minerals......I'm trying to find how to test my tap water cuz I'm curious, but have an RO now, so it might be moot, but I'm curious. Anyway, some people have told me to go crazy with cal mag, 10 ml per gallon. Good friend told me about cutting edge mag amp and I'm using it as a foliar only ,for 3 days now. ( magnesium sulfate instead of mag nitrate just to cut down on nitrate room). I'm wondering if it sounds like I have multiple deficiencies because of too much calcium ? And what to do about it. I'm seeing all these signs of deficiencies and I'm dying to do something about it, but am worried that it all started because of too much calcium and might make things worse.
Btw, my ph is great. 5.8 everyday without exception. Air is great 75 degrees all the time. Co2, water temp is between 69 and 70. I use mostly GH, and cal mag. Carboload and great white beneficials. For thin mint, I have gotten the best flavor from gh , cal mag,and carboload.
If anyone cares to comment, I'm also trying to understand why gh puts 5% calcium in their micro.....everyone that uses gh seems to also use cal mag,but when I look at the labels it seems like there's already Aalto of cal and mag in their three part......

IMO, Calcium and Magnesium need a ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 to offset each other. It keeps them from antagonizing each other.

I dont care what anyone says, my plants demand 3-5ml of Cal/Mg per gallon, every feeding or they get messed up. That is in RO water.

My guess is that you overfed and locked it out. Flush and give it about 400ppm max nutes to allow it to recover. Put it under 24hrs of light. GSC is a low feeder. You can tell what a plant needs by looking at the top new growth. If the new grow lightens, feed more but slowly up the ppm. If the top growth is green, dont increase the ppm. If its dark, drop the ppm.

Last edited:
I

Ites

IMO, Calcium and Magnesium need a ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 to offset each other. It keeps them from antagonizing each other.

I dont care what anyone says, my plants demand 3-5ml of Cal/Mg per gallon, every feeding or they get messed up. That is in RO water.

My guess is that you overfed and locked it out. Flush and give it about 400ppm max nutes to allow it to recover. Put it under 24hrs of light. GSC is a low feeder. You can tell what a plant needs by looking at the top new growth. If the new grow lightens, feed more but slowly up the ppm. If the top growth is green, dont increase the ppm. If its dark, drop the ppm.
Yes,I'm figuring I'll have to up my cal mag now that I'm on RO, so I'm beginning to learn about the ratio. I see many suggest that 3:1, 4:1 ratio. CalMag is only 2.5:1 ratio though.....so checking into the list of where most general hydro derives their ingredients from I found that first of all gh micro has 5% calcium, and I see magnesium in their bloom at 1.5% and in their gro at .5%. How do I take that into account when dialing in my ratio? Especially because depending on life stage, those ingredients change ratios themselves. Any info would be awesome! Oh! Also..... On the antagonizing tip, phosphorous and calcium antagonize? Or is it phosphorous and magnesium? Any insight on that relationship would be wonderful also. Thanks a budnch !

N

nightmarecreature

Just use General Hydro Calimagic and use 3-5ml per gallon. Dont worry about whats in the 3 part base.

T

Taylor Smith

Yes,I'm figuring I'll have to up my cal mag now that I'm on RO, so I'm beginning to learn about the ratio. I see many suggest that 3:1, 4:1 ratio. CalMag is only 2.5:1 ratio though.....so checking into the list of where most general hydro derives their ingredients from I found that first of all gh micro has 5% calcium, and I see magnesium in their bloom at 1.5% and in their gro at .5%. How do I take that into account when dialing in my ratio? Especially because depending on life stage, those ingredients change ratios themselves. Any info would be awesome! Oh! Also..... On the antagonizing tip, phosphorous and calcium antagonize? Or is it phosphorous and magnesium? Any insight on that relationship would be wonderful also. Thanks a budnch !
calcium and phosphorous react to form tri-calcium phosphate basically rock phosphate this is why fertilizer always comes in separate parts or sometimes no calcium , products like "mammoth P" are very good a liberating both phosphourus and calcium from insoluble forms

Latest posts

Top Bottom