mini-split and A/C in a sealed room

• Thread starter bass ackwards
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bass ackwards

mini-split and CO2 in a sealed room

I will be building two sealed rooms and have a mini-split in each room. Do I need to worry about condensation from the coils forming and dripping water into the room?

For CO2 I intend to run a tankless water heater outside of the rooms and duct the exhaust (CO2) into the rooms. Will I experience back pressure problems when forcing CO2 into the room? It seems to me that a sealed room cannot take the influx of CO2 without raising air pressure inside the room,forcing air out in some manner. I will also run a scrubber inside the rooms recirculating the air inside without exhausting it. It seems to me that i will need to exhaust air from the room to add CO2 into the room.

I'm probably making this too complicated,and could use some direction from those of you who are running sealed rooms. If needed I can set up an exhaust system to run intermittently to aid in supplementing CO2. I could exhaust into an additional room,scrub the air again and the exhaust the air from this room out of the building through the chimney.

Any advise you can offer will be gladly accepted,any questions will be answered to the best of my ability, THANKS.

Respect bass

D

darookie2000

Do you mean the a/c from one room is in the other room?

U

ugmjfarmer

I really doubt that you will get that much back pressure increasing your CO2 to 1500ppm. That's not enough gas to make that big of a difference in room pressure at all. Just seal up your room/lights so there is little to no air leak otherwise CO2 becomes much much more expensive to use as you will be loosing more of it.

REMEMBER, Co2 is heavier than air, so cracks in the floor are the first leaks you want to fix. Pond liner and heavy heavy duct tape.

B

bass ackwards

darookie2000,yes in a mini-split system the compressor is generally located outside the building,as it is in a central A/C unit for your home. The freon lines are then routed to a evaporator in the areas to be cooled.

ugmjfarmer,you are probably right about negligible back pressure,it just seems to me that there has to be some leakage as the air pressure inside the room equalizes with the surrounding area. That is why I thought of exhausting into another room in an effort to control any release of odor.

J

Jalisco Kid

Make a plentum around your generator and draw air from your room and dump it back into your rooms.JK
I would have just mounted it in my room. There is not that much heat especially if you have the right a/c. JK
I would not bother going over 1200 ppm.

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

I am using the instant hot water heaters as co2 gens and I just put them right in the room. they are small, you want the smallest one you can get. In 250 ft^2 room my 30K btu unit runs may be an hour or 2 a night. To me the ability to put it in the room and just pipe in water and propane is a major advantage. I'd put it right below your A/C - they are more efficient when cooling warmer air so you will get better efficiency directly cooling the co2 exhaust than letting it mix in with the air than cooling that.

Good luck, sounds fun!

gwg

B

bass ackwards

Jalisco Kid,I will have one heater supplement two separate rooms. I will use an inline duct fan and two baffles to direct the flow into whatever room is calling for CO2.
Still concerned about odor leaking out of the rooms.
Any thoughts about condensation from the mini-split?
Right now I'm considering a 36k BTU dual system for 3600w/room. I figure that will just be large enough. I haven't seen anything larger.

Respect bass

B

bass ackwards

girlwondergrows,thanks for the input. I could probably duct the CO2 close to the mini-split. Everything is still in the planning stage at the moment. Also thinking of running the water that runs through the heater through a heat exchanger connected to the ducting and then into the heater thereby cooling the CO2 as it leaves the heater and before it enters the room. But as JK has mentioned the heat might not be that much of a problem. Still the cost of a heat exchanger is not too much.

Respect bass

J

Jalisco Kid

GWG you run your lights at night correct, some might think you run c02 during lights out.JK

B

bigyieldsonly

i have a sealed room. and i run a co2 burner at 2000ppm at week 6and up. i have no intake or outtake. i can open the door to let all the air out if you want also you can turn up the ppms of the co2 to 3000 to kill anytye of pest(shouldnt get pests with sealed rooms). i fill up a regular propane tank and i run it for about 2 hours a day and the co2 will stay in the room as long as the room is sealed right. i also have a braun5000 thermostat you can control the ac more efeciently . i run my room at 83 degrees and set the ac to go down to 76 and then it switches back on at 83 degrees this is all inn a nut shell hit me up if you wan t more info

Top Bottom