Mini Split Condenser In Locations With Below Freezing Temps

• Thread starter jcom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jcom

jcom

I'm struggling with planning the AC situation for my next 12 light setup as it will be in an area that can get to -10F or colder in the winter months. Most condensers on mini splits I've seen are rated to 5F minimum operating temp. I'm quite certain I'll have freezing problems if the condenser is outdoors. I plan on running the main room sealed with co2. The only option I've been able to come up with is to build an insulated micro closet near one of the rooms windows and insert a plywood piece in a portion of the sliding window (with a bar in window to prevent entry, of course) and cut two holes for exhaust and intake.

I know a lot of you out there are growing in freezing climates. I'd appreciate any and all input/suggestions/examples on how you're dealing with AC in these environments. Thanks in advance.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Low ambient pressure kit for the unit needs to be installed. It's not simple I would suggest a hvac technician do the install.

jcom

jcom

Thanks for the replies guys. I will ask my HVAC tech his thoughts as he's 420 friendly and I'm sure he's either dealt with it and/or had the question asked to him. One other person told me they have a Tyvec insulation "mini frame" than can be slid over the condenser itself. It's a great idea, but I'd be concerned about the time that the unit is sitting idle while it's sub-zero outside. My hope is that the refrigerant in the unit is rated well below zero, even though the unit itself is only rated to +5F.

Top Bottom