Mini split condenser inside garage?

• Thread starter Wanderlust
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I'm helping a friend build a small 4k 10x10 sealed stadium within his two car garage (roughly 20x20x9). Its a rental and he wants to keep any modifications to the garage itself at a minimum. I have an extra 2ton mini split I'm going to give him, and I would like to ask any AC experts out there if I could keep the condenser INSIDE the garage so we don't have to drill any holes in the walls to place the condenser outside. There is also the fact that there is nowhere to really hide an AC condenser outside this garage, and building a housing for it is really not an option either. There is attic space above the garage where I can theoretically vent air through a easily replaceable trap door. Any opinions on how well the condenser would function inside the garage?

blazer

blazer

Wouldnt recommend it will have to have enouh air changes.probably will end up with more probs in summer time exspecially.all the heat they (condensor) put out is the heat your removeing from your garden and dumping in garage will have to remove it feom garage and bring enough fresh air to keep condemsor cooll enough to rum properly.

blazer

blazer

The whole for your small copper lines and drain would be a smaller hole then any trap door large enough to bring in and out enough exhaust air for a indoor condensor.run lines through attic down eave down the wall. would be easiest so you dont make holes in wall.outdoors will save you hassles down the road.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I have serviced a 1 ton condensing unit in a garage. It was 60F outside but 90F inside (may have been even warmer). So don't do it.

bobby

bobby

Don't do it. It will not work well. The units are designed to work outside. But if you wanted to put the condenser inside, you could bring in outside fresh air by venting the entire warehouse with the appropriate CFM intake and exhaust vans. Or you could build an appropriately sized box around the condenser and vent he box with intake and exhaust fans.

N

noone88

Get one of those big 2-3 feet floor fans and place it next to the condensor and it will help with the air circulation problem. It's not the ideal setup, especially during the summer, but it will work.

I currently have a 3-ton condenser unit and a 1hp water chiller inside of a warehouse. It's hot inside the warehouse (90 degrees), but having lights-on during 9pm to 9am helps as well.

W

Woj

I am in a similiar situation, about to set up a 4k grow thats in a "box in a box" in my garage. I am planning on insulating the box with r13 all around. I do not want to place my compressor unit outside, would it work to build a box say 5x5x5, leave the bottom open so it sucks up the coldest garage air. I would put an 8-12" fan on the top exhausting out a window (it is not possible to fit a window unit out the window, it is composed of 12 panes, each one measuring 10"x12" or so. Will this set up work to keep the condenser cool in the summer? It can get as high as 100 degree's in the garage itself during the really hot days here in mi. I plan on running my lights from midnight to noon to avoid the heat, plan on using a bottle of co2 and air cooling the hoods w. outside air.

The grow doesnt get started until sept 1st. I am hoping that the heat will have subsided by then, and plan on putting a pool outside for next year w. 3 or 4 radiators inside the garage to help get some of the garage heat outside. Would it be smart to dig down a field of pex lines under the pool for additional cooling? (IE use the ground as a giant heat sync)

Tony69

Tony69

I've installed a LG 22,000 BTU mini split indoors. I had custom duct work made that was 24" diameter to 24" squared. Cut a hole in the side of the building and installed a grate and camo it. Works excellent. I have to bring in fresh air from another vent to replace the out going air.

N

noone88

FYI for people growing in rental houses and warehouses. Landlord and property managers are catching onto people using their property for grows. They are looking for suspicious ventilation outlets or condenser units. a FOAF had to shut down a 30k grow op because the property manager saw the units on the roof and threatened them with an inspection.

Be careful folks.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

+1 at it can be done with proper ventilation (cfm requirements of condenser at the minimum) or better... its better to put it outside but it can be done.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Put the condenser unit in the attic and ventilate the attic, should keep temps and air circulation good enough to keep the condenser working properly and all you will need are 2 4 in. fans and 2 vents in the attic which can be taken down and replaced relativly easily. hope this helps. Take it easy

Top Bottom