Mini Split efficiency vs air cooled reflectors

• Thread starter asmitty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

evlme2

I had a very bad experience with Kingersons. Their customer service is non existent and they offer no support whatsoever. Kingersons is where I bought my first mini split.
As for the YMGI, it is no different really than any other no name brand that uses an brand name compressor. See, the compressors are the most reliable part on them. Toshiba, Hitachi, Panasonic, Sanyo-Those are the compressors you'll usually see on those off brand unit. While one brand compressor may be slightly quieter than the other, they're all pretty reliable. Thats why they all have 5 year warranties on the compressors.
It's the electronics in them that are the Achilles...
If a Mitsu is too expensive, I would give the Lg a close look. They offer a 3 year parts, 5 year compressor warranty and you can get one the same size as that YMGI for the same price.

E

evlme2

One more important tidbit before I hit the sack; When shopping for a lineset for your mini split know that most manufacturers precharge the units for a 25' lineset. And according to factory specs, if the lineset is longer/shorter than 25' then freon needs to be added/subtracted. Otherwise they won't work as efficient. Some people run shorter than recommended linesets without issue but I stick to factory specs. Running too long a lineset is the equivalent of not having enough freon in the unit.
And adding/subtracting r410 is not so easy because it's added/subtracted by weight.
So...make sure the lineset you get matches what the factory calls for.
See, buying a mini split over the internet is a gray area because unless it's a diy unit then no factory will honor a warranty if the unit was not installed by a certified tech. And some like Mitsu and Fujitsu will not honor a warranty of any unit bought over the internet period.
Goductless/Acwholesalers will help you get around that by having Mitsu/Fujitsu parts in stock warehoused.
But honestly, if you learn to install a mini yourself then they kinda become disposable because they're so cheap and I can pay for a new one with 2-3 plants worth of bud:RastaBong:

A

asmitty

Looks like I have to go mistu...those lg's only go down to 6500btu. Have to save it elsewhere....Looking at the one from goductless. So, I was going with a 15ft lineset. It will sit right outside the room which is built inside the garage. By the way, which accesories did you purchase beside the line set and fusible pull out box? Can't tell what else is optional....

Thanks again

A

asmitty

By the way, if you need to get some sleep no worries; i don't need this info today. thanks

E

evlme2

Looks like I have to go mistu...those lg's only go down to 6500btu. Have to save it elsewhere....Looking at the one from goductless. So, I was going with a 15ft lineset. It will sit right outside the room which is built inside the garage. By the way, which accesories did you purchase beside the line set and fusible pull out box? Can't tell what else is optional....

Thanks again
Theirs two types of disconnect boxes, fusible an non-fusible. Get the NON-fusible one. It is only a service disconnect so a tech could work on the unit an know the power is interrupted. A few friends had the fusible ones but you have to keep extra fuses around then...
Other than a line set and the drain hose, theirs nothing more you'd need.
Any power cable you may need can be bought at HD/Lowes for much cheaper than the websites. They come with a remote control.
The lineset...I understand you'll have your units close together, mine is also just on the other side of the wall, but the lineset HAS TO be a certain length REGARDLESS of how close they are to each other. I may be wrong about the exact #'s but I believe 15 ' is the shortest allowed by the factory.
If you look at the name brand units they all have a minimum and maximum lineset recommendation. And they all say they're charged for exactly 25' of line.
I think it's very irresponsible for some companies to sell linesets at will and not follow the manufacturer's advise.
So yeah, even though the units are not 25' apart, get that lineset. What you do is leave coiled up what you don't use and fasten it to the wall. Or like my buddy did, he left it coiled up in the attic.
Also, it is very tedious to add/remove r410 so it's just easier to get the correct length lineset.
Most units have a max of 65' of lineset (the Lg is 50' I thinmk) that can be used, but you'll have to add a lot more 410. If I'm confusing you on that subject let me know and I'll explain it differently :)

This Lg cools down to 3000btu.
I would absolutely buy the Lg over the YMGI.

A

asmitty

Hey evlme2. Thanks for taking the time to check on that. The problem I have with that one is it does not qualify for the federal rebate; so the Mitsu would be cheaper for me after the rebate.

How did you get that cooling range info though? LG sucks at making detailed specs hard to find. This lg does qualify for the 30 percent rebate....

but, I thought I already checked and it only went to 6500? However, now I'm thinking I read it wrong. If the aformentioned unit goes down to 3,000 also that'd be the way to go......

Hey by the way; I found these through the energy star website looking for units that are eligible for the credit......

Dont know the compressor, but at least their U.S, and they back the circuit board, etc...I think they bought Amcor. Anyway, the 12,000 can be had for 1200.

Also harbor point has some units I can get for 1200. They only go down to 6500btu though.
http://harborpointac.com/wall-split...5v-cooling-heating-wall-split-ac/prod_13.html

Curious what you think. Thanks

L

lime6161

evlme has hit 10 nails on the head for you.

Here is one more. Mr Slim rocks. Its a game changer for sure.

Spend the long dollar now and save every heat/cooling assache you could ever conjour up. Even the monthly power is a no brainer.

Every dollar you spend in this secnerio will pay you back at least 10-1 overnight,if not 100-1 in a year.

I cant say enough good things bout Mr. Slim, not putting one in is plain crazy talk.

A

asmitty

Lol, Thats the one I want, trust me. Just don't know if I can justify an extra 500 bucks.... I am poor right now, and my costs are already up there.

I am considering saving on lights and going without air cooled reflectors until summer( my second grow). to help reduce the expense though....

L

lime6161

Imo your steppin over 100 $100 bills to pick up a fiver.

you also need to consider the production side. with Mr Slim lots and lots of big buds follow. perhaps even a few more than your used to.

once you go Mr Slimm you never go back.

E

evlme2

Hey evlme2. Thanks for taking the time to check on that. The problem I have with that one is it does not qualify for the federal rebate; so the Mitsu would be cheaper for me after the rebate.

How did you get that cooling range info though? LG sucks at making detailed specs hard to find. This lg does qualify for the 30 percent rebate....

but, I thought I already checked and it only went to 6500? However, now I'm thinking I read it wrong. If the aformentioned unit goes down to 3,000 also that'd be the way to go......

Hey by the way; I found these through the energy star website looking for units that are eligible for the credit......

Dont know the compressor, but at least their U.S, and they back the circuit board, etc...I think they bought Amcor. Anyway, the 12,000 can be had for 1200.

Also harbor point has some units I can get for 1200. They only go down to 6500btu though.
http://harborpointac.com/wall-split...5v-cooling-heating-wall-split-ac/prod_13.html

Curious what you think. Thanks

Pridiom is Amcor, just rebranded.
Amcor went out of biz and left a lot of customers hanging with warranty claims. Then they started selling the EXACT SAME UNITS under the name Pridiom.
STAY AWAY FROM ANY PRIDIOM MINI SPLIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE THE CHEAPEST PIECES OF GARBAGE MINI SPLITS EVER MADE!!!!!!
As for the Lg info,
Click on the blue link that says Service Manual PDF. The first page gives you the specs.
Trust me asmitty, I feel your pain when it comes to $$$. It took me two years to buy my first mini split (Amcor) and thankfully I have made enough with every harvest to either repair or replace every crappy mini split I bought until I got my Mitsu.
But even if Mitsu's, Fujitsu's etc are out of your price range, you can pick up a cheap unit (one better than Amcor) to get you by until you have the $$$ to upgrade.
Do remember if I asked (I'm on several mj boards and sometimes it's hard to keep up lol!), do you plan on installing a mini yourself?

*EDIT* Within the next two weeks I will be installing a 14k btu Mitsu for my buddy. I will take pics of the whole install process and post it up in a separate thread for all to see. Stay tuned:icon_spin:

E

evlme2

Imo your steppin over 100 $100 bills to pick up a fiver.

you also need to consider the production side. with Mr Slim lots and lots of big buds follow. perhaps even a few more than your used to.

once you go Mr Slimm you never go back.

So true!!!!!

E

evlme2

Here's a pic of the shitty Amcor I had...
IMG 2311

F

f1ydave

We thought we could get away from A/C in a basement build with air cooled hoods. Took the rooms 1 hours to go from 70 degrees to 85+ with a 720 CFM fan on 2kwatts

We have a portable a/c in each room that cost $400 each, get the Mini Split, it will save you lots of headaches. Shave on the closed hood or inline fan.

A

asmitty

Ok, no more fucking with the split, I'll just spend the bills. Will it be cool if I just wait on air cooled hoods ? Then just make the holes and buy the right reflectors later and hook them up for the second grow(summer in cali)?

Check this fujitsu out

.....Same 1500 at goductless as the Mitsu.. It has 25 SEER/14.5 EER, goes down to 3800 btu in cooling mode. Has a dry mode; but I don't believe it will auto switch into that mode....still, could go turn it on before lights off.......
Also it has an ionizer in addition to the same catechin filter as the mitsu; this would help supplement my carbon scrubber to a large degree. I'm salivating... I've read good things about these. What do you guys think, do they get the Ok as well?

A

asmitty

Hey, by the way, I am going to install the unit myself. I would love to see the process...

I was going to have a local HVAC guy come out for the final step before I add anything to the room; found someone how ill do that for 120 bucks.

A

asmitty

By the way. Is there a spec that would tell me how much power that unit uses in dry mode without having to test the amps its pulling at at that time?

Thanks

C

ClimateControl

If You Buy That Fujitsu, you wont have a warranty

before you blow your money, if you buy that one online, it voids the warranty.
Just seems like it would just throw money away. All the brands I carry still have a factory warranty if you buy online.

A

asmitty

I was told Goductless.com helps one get around this. Plus I'd be paying a certified local hvac company 100 for their time to check everything and vacuum the lines anyway. Are you sure about that, i'm a bit skeptical?

p.s.- don't know if that final step is referred to as vacuuming or not?

A

asmitty

so its down to that fujitsu or two mistu units.....

found a good spec sheet on all the mitsus

think its worth paying the extra 170 to go from the MSZ-GE12NA to MSZ-FE12NA?

thanks

Top Bottom