Mini-split fan blades collecting weird stuff

• Thread starter PButter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
HeyO, I had noticed the mini split hadn't been throwing as much air flow and shut it down to have a look.
I started cleaning it off before I thought to take a photo so the stuff you'll see has been sprayed and is not the full coating that it was when I started cleaning. I can't get a sample under a scope or anything but wonder if someone else has experienced this and what it might be. It almost seems like a moldy type of growth but again, I can't be sure.

Mini split fan blades collecting weird stuff

Natural

Natural

Dust..minerals..or mold/mildew. If it's mildew..I would expect more varying colors..but it certainly doesn't rule it out. A prisitine cleaning and a new filter is the obvious. Hope you get it figured out!

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Hmm. I don't have a humidifier- sealed room, needs dehughey mostly....

Yeah, I just got done cleaning the thing- pain in the ass- and I'm leaning towards dust/some sort of mold. Mostly it came off very easily with a stream of water- the hard parts gave up to q-tips. Might keep an eye on it and when I start to see build up try a spray of H2O2?

Thanks for the thoughts

Natural

Natural

Sounds like a plan! The added humidity won't help out much unless it's in hood-off cleaning mode..I wonder if an expensive UV light would help? I would inspect that condensate line if it has one..make sure it's 100% clear. Clean the drip pan well if it has one..and make sure the unit has a slight tilt towards condensate line. A commercial dehumidifier is gonna be your ticket to help with the water...as I'm sure you know already. Expensive, but will kick on less for less heat.

deacon1503

deacon1503

It would be nice if there was a mini split that had an indoor unit that was easily disassembled for cleaning purposes. Or any AC unit for that matter. Maybe someday...

Latest posts

Top Bottom