Mini Split In A Rental

• Thread starter legaleyes13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Is this a terrible idea? I have never ran a mini split, have no idea what installation requires, and have no idea how strange it would look to have a dual zone 3 1/2 ton unit installed in a basement. I'm sure it's not typical but I'm also confident I can come up with a believable story, but if it's too suspicious, I'll just find a way to run 3 or 4 window units... I haven't moved into this new place yet...

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Mini would work but requires a hole(3"usually)for the lines to run to compressor from cooling head,If you could use one of the basement eggress windows you could use a piece of plywood with a hole in it and not cause any damage,sure would be cheaper and better to run 1 mini vs. 3 or 4 window units,quieter and more down low too.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Mini would work but requires a hole(3"usually)for the lines to run to compressor from cooling head,If you could use one of the basement eggress windows you could use a piece of plywood with a hole in it and not cause any damage,sure would be cheaper and better to run 1 mini vs. 3 or 4 window units,quieter and more down low too.
Would I be able to have some one uninstall it and take it with me when I leave? And how strange is it to have an hvac guy come over and install a mini that large in one room?

I would have it installed before I started working on setting up the room, and I guess I could tell him and my landlords that I'm gonna be running computer servers down there that need cooling and blah blah blah...
But I do think the window units would fly way under the radar, no one would be able to see em. And do you have any idea how much install would be on a 3 1/2 ton unit?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Yes you could easily take it with you,I dont think its that unusual,just tell them its a game room or something.If your in SoCal area PM @CannabisJohn on this board for install help,certified and trustworthy.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Yes you could easily take it with you,I dont think its that unusual,just tell them its a game room or something.If your in SoCal area PM @CannabisJohn on this board for install help,certified and trustworthy.
Cool, thanks... Not anywhere near SoCal though. As long as it's not too weird, I'm not worried.

R

rascali

there are alternate installation locations that can solve some of your problems. if your climate isn't summer all the time, you could mount the compressor inside a garage, attic or shed. it might require additional venting, passive or mechanical, but it is an alternative...

S

Seed Buyer

You could hide the outdoor unit by painting it to match the siding. Can you not put the outdoor unit in the back yard away from prying eyes? You could always park something in front of it as well. Recycling cans, wheel barrow, stack some fire wood.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

I'm pretty sure I could put the compressor behind the house where no one would see it... I don't know that I'd want to put it in a garage if that requires too many modifications to the garage, but it's definitely an option I'll look into. I was never too worried about anyone seeing the compressor, I was more worried about the HVAC guy thinking something was fishy.

S

Seed Buyer

Buy a vacuum pump and oil, a set of gauges, pour over some mini split install videos on youtube, and do it yourself. Your gonna want and need to know how the system operates in case you have issues in the future. If you can get it done you will be able to beat your chest and grunt with more bravado.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Hvac guy isn't going to know if you rent or own the house.
All he cares about is getting the dolla dolla bills.

Oldmanstoner

Oldmanstoner

Don't most come with loaded lines as in almost plug n play?

S

Seed Buyer

All mini splits have pre charged line sets but they still need to be vacuumed down to remove any moisture.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Don't most come with loaded lines as in almost plug n play?
All mini splits have pre charged line sets but they still need to be vacuumed down to remove any moisture.

There is a difference between a pre-charged lineset and a charged system,A pre charged lineset is supposedly ''pre-charged'' negating the need to vacume the lines(Not the best choice) while a normal charged system contains the refrigerant in the compressor unit and after you install and vacume/leak check your connections you release the charge into the system/lineset.
A pre-charged lineset is sealed with refrigerant inside and when you tighten the fittings it breaks the seal but you still get some air in the system and your screwed if you dont get the connection right the very first time(leaks).There is no way to to vacume a pre charged lineset prior to breaking the seals.With a normal lineset you can vacume and check your connections BEFORE you release refrigerant into the system.
There is no easy way around installing an AC correctly,It can be done by a novice if you follow instructions correctly but it does take an investment in the right tools/vacume pump etc and you would still need a tech if you needed to weigh in/out refrigerant as it isnt generally available to the public.

Oldmanstoner

Oldmanstoner

I don't know but can't imagine it's all that difficult. Plus refrigerant is easily acquired at most any home store. An vacuum a pre charge line, doesn't sound so hard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom