Mini split vs 2 portables? Help

• Thread starter Buzz5980
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Buzz5980

So I'm trying to decide if I should just go with 2 portable ac instead of a 2 ton mini split?I already have 1 portable 14000 btu... The btu will equal the same.

Running 6 1k magnetic and a wing reflectors.

Also have a buddy running the same thing but he has 2 rooms so a total of 12 1k and he wanted to know if he bought a mini split. 2 ton with 2 air handlers would he be able to control both room with it if one room the lights were on in the morning and the other on during the night..
Thx

S

seebobsled

From info you could be closer to 3 ton if ballasts and non air cooled hoods are in the room. And poor insulation and south facing room will add lots in summer time!!
What is your buddy running for ac and are you in same area? Is it working for him? Chillville has BTU output calculations for your room in this forum "how to size your cooling system" There is more that the light btu you have to add to get total btu load. Portables is easy install, not for efficiency on pocket.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

you need at minimum... 3.5k per 1k of lighting. So figure in from there.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Hardly a question here, go with the split for sure. You can invest up front, or pay even more to the power co over just a few months time. All but the most expensive portables leak some stink, and they all bleed you with inefficiency (even a boxed window banger is way cheaper to run). I wasted too much $ figuring this out..

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

You need a 3 ton mini split. Put the portable you already have on craigslist in June. Those things are useless.

blazer

blazer

Yep mini-split all the way bro u wont regret the extra cost.you'll wonder why you ever question a mini-split to a portable!lol

Yes they do sale multizone systems example 1= 2 ton condenser and 2=1 ton evaporators!

B

Buzz5980

K thx for the input I'm getting a mini. The ballast aren't gona be in the room so do you really think I would need to go with a 3 ton. Thx for all the help I didnt think these posted

opt1c

opt1c

yeah... if you're not air cooling especially... and if the room is sealed... i got only about 7-8k in a room and a 36,000 btu mini split can't handle it all... i live in the middle of a desert and everything is in one room; ballasts, chillers, veg, moms, flower, etc...

bigger is always better; difference between setting it at 75 and never getting below 83 and setting it at 75 and getting it to 75

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

While 3500 btu cools 1k watts, you also have to take ambient temperatures into account. If you live in an area that is fairly mild then you should be ok, whereas if you live in an area that heats up a LOT during the summer months then you may want to go a little bigger than 2 tons.

Mini splits are definitely the way to go. Especially if you are running a sealed room. Otherwise you will be paying out the nose for co2 as the portables suck it right out of the room.

B

Buzz5980

Got the 3 better sAfe then sorry!! Having her installed tomorreo!!!

G

Get HI

Buzz, that's cool. Do you have any pics that you can share? How about brand and seer rating of the unit you ended up going with.

dumpstergrower

dumpstergrower

so what about 3 600 in a 4x8 tent using a portable to cool that is that ok it's a 10,000 btu just wondeing thanks for the help

Latest posts

Top Bottom