Mistakes I made when I started growing

• Thread starter Hedonisticpsycho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hedonisticpsycho

Hedonisticpsycho

Disclaimer: I understand that like everything in life there are varying degrees of proficiency and varying degrees of results. I’m coming from a place where my goal is “good to great bud” for a negligible cost” as I imagine most new growers are aspiring to. So below are some of the things I learned by making mistakes.

Mistake #1 Wrong soil.
There are maaany options. You could easily over think this. I grew my first in miracle grow. She grew big and strong but I learned quickly that MG is not a good option for many reasons. I settled on PROMIX VEG AND HERB SOIL. Great reviews on this forum and easily available and not expensive. I just planted my next batch of auto flowers in to a product called 420 mix I purchased from Terra also given good reviews especially for auto flowers. So... you don’t need complex and expensive soil to grow great weed.

Mistake # 2 Nutrient Deficiencies.
My first girl grew big and strong in veg phase but when I switched her light cycle to flower I cheeped out and tried a DIY fertilizer mixture and I’m certain that is what did her in. She was beautiful. 11 strong cola sites ready for big buds. Her leaves were all spotted and yellow and her buds stopped growing. Nutrient deficiencies were completely avoidable if I had only decided to buy a $50 nute package that would last me for 30+ plants. Seriously.... at $1.50 per plant buying a good quality nute product is a no brainer. My latest 4 girls are all lush and green with big buds growing...all due to the nutes they are getting. DONT CHEAP OUT. You invest so much love and time into growing your girls don’t lessen their potential by not giving them good food to grow big and strong.
Mistake # 3 CONCERNS OCER SMELL
K. So everyone in my home knows I smoke weed. Heck we all do. My wife and my 2 girls in university all smoke so I’m not exactly concerned about smell during flower. My 4 White Widows finishing week 5 of flower barley smell. They definitely don’t stink up the whole house. They are kept in a basement office under 2 Mars leds. A couple of fans on 24/7 and a dehumidifier and they are HAPPY. I know some strains smell more but I can’t smell them as long as I keep the door closed. My wife’s mom was over yesterday and she didn’t smell anything. So....if you can, just grow in a rarely used room in your home block out the window so you can control total light and get some fans and a dehumidifier and some good lights and your off to the races.
Mistake # 4 Watering.
I started keeping a journal when I started growing. I tracked everything. I quickly learned that watering will depend on many environmental factors and that the only really good way to determine when my girls need water was by feeling the weight of my pots. Sure you can shove your finger into the soil and check for moisture but once you learn the “dry” weight of a pot you will know when it’s time to water. I have never over watered or under watered since. BTW weed plants don’t mind living in dry soil. I mean if you miss a day and the pot is really light it’s ok. The plants will do better with occasional dry periods vs occasional wet periods.

Mistake # 5 thinking I need a “special” room or tent to grow in.

Simply false. You need to control the light, air flow, humidity, water, nutrients and ph. I’m growing in a basement office
My Total Investment:
2 Mars 2000 lights for 4 plants. $500 these lights will last almost forever as leds usually do
2 fans $40 will last forever
Dehumidifier i already had one but you can get for $100 mine is 5 years old and still sucking
Ph up and ph down kit $25 will last 20 crops of 4 plants.
Nute product $45 will last 10 crops of 4 plants.
Seeds $60 for 5
Soil $35 for 4 6 gallon pots
Pots $25 for 10 fabric pots

So bottom line is I’m gonna spend about $4.20 oz vs $150 an oz.

I will recoup my initial capital costs by the time I grow my first 1/2 pound.
Lmao. I am going to have to start smoking more or I won’t know what to do with all my Ja

Hope this helps at least 1 first time grower. Have fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom