Mite/RA Predators discussion

• Thread starter QLTYlab
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QLTYlab

QLTYlab

couldn't find much on here when searching about predator options for mites and aphids so thought I'd start a discussion. I have been more interested lately in not applying any type of spray pesticides when possible while still being able to effectively control unwanted pests. I have read that mantis and ladybugs aren't always that good and depends on species. I found these 3 for spider mites specifically and was wondering if anyone has experience with them. I found one video on here about the phyto predator but not the others. please post up experiences/opinions.

Wide Temp Range, Moderate Humidity:
Phytoseiulus persimilis
Temperature Range: 55 - 105+ F.
Humidity Range: 55 - 90%

Moderate Temp Range, High Humidity:
Neoseiulus californicus
Temperature Range: 55 - 90 F.
Humidity Range: 60 - 90%

Widest Humidity and Temp Range:
Mesoseiulus longipes
Temperature Range: 55 - 105+ F.
Humidity Range: 45 - 90%

Coir

Coir

All three will work. Match them to your specific room temp and humidity but also be aware that some mites diapause under short daylight hours so make sure you get one that will not at 12/12.
Also, as with all predators, you need to apply more of them than there are of the enemy. Early detection and early release are key!

symbiote420

symbiote420

I've recently started drenching my plants with 1/4 - 1/2 cup per gallon with neem seed meal that's steeped or brewed for 24 hrs ....the mites seem to have migrated to the plants I have in late bloom that haven't been treated! The ones brave enough to stay aren't looking too good lol not as much movement! I hate spraying my leaves with anything but water so this seemed like the feasible method for me!

QLTYlab

QLTYlab

awesome thanks for sharing guys keep it coming! would they work without any signs of mites or would they just leave if nothing present? @toquer @Coir @symbiote420 which neem do you use?

Coir

Coir

I use slow release A Cucumeris as a preventative. They will leave the plant looking for food if nothing comes along. Thrips are their preferred food but will eat all types of mites and other things when they are hungry!
I don;t use any neem products or spray anything on my plants at all.

T

toquer

The andersoni come in breading sachets which hang on the plant, I continue to apply whether I have a problem or not. If I see mites they're dead already and the leaf underside has webbing infested with more andersoni. This is the only time I see the predators.
I spray a compost tea, nothing more.

symbiote420

symbiote420

awesome thanks for sharing guys keep it coming! would they work without any signs of mites or would they just leave if nothing present? @toquer @Coir @symbiote420 which neem do you use?

I use Ahimsa Organics Neem Cake! I've also found some friendly invaders in the grow come of late ....Hypoaspis Miles, seems every year around this time I get mites 1st then these guys. I researched em a few years ago and found they were a natural predator to fungus gnat larvae but I also noticed em going up unto the plants and eating spider mites and their eggs!!!

Added bonus with the neem meal, my roots have grown faster/better than with any rooting product I've tried ...Roots Exel, Mykos, GW, etc., I can't wait till my original mix finishs cooking because it's got coir in it, I ran out this round so the girls are in a substitute mix I made with mostly peat.

indonesia

indonesia

preventative is the best option. bleach everything between cycles. I use organic ladybug spray for the mites, i believe it works for a couple other species as well. I used azamax couple years ago, it works but its pretty hardcore. it was an emergency. wouldnt use it otherwise

Top Bottom