Mites from the dispensary ?

• Thread starter Bubblehaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

So I found this dispensary by my house. The medicine is decent and dried right so I have been going there. The other day 4 days after going there the first time I noticed spider mites on a few plants. The same plants I caged the day I went for meds. I have never bought clones from there all the cuts I have are from members of this site and have been pest and disease free.I bombed the room as soon as I noticed and am actively spraying with an organic pesticide (organicide) because I am 2 weeks into flower. It seems to have worked for now. When I went back to the the dispensary I asked if they sell clones there to see if it was possible that I got the mites from there . There are no outside sources where I can suspect except there. They said they were out but yes they sell them. I began to tell him about my pest problem when he informed me that they have a major mite problem and that in fact I was standing in the room next to there grow.

Is it that easy to get mites ?

Whats the chances I brought them home from the dispensary ?

This is my first encounter with mites.All soil and products I use are sterile. I guess no more med trips and then going into my room until changed and showered. Damn dispensary is like a whorehouse I need a body condom to go there safely I guess. Just an FYI for the people who still have to buy meds while waiting on there harvest.

I

IVIars

Good chance it came from there. I was talking to the grower at a dispensary in pueblo that's pretty good. They didn't have clones out and I asked if they offered them and he said yes but they don't put them out because who knows what people have on them pollen, mites, pm, etc... and he didn't want the clones to be affected by it. Might be bs but it seems logical

P

paulycali

From clubs with clones to hydroponic shops full of sloppy growers its definetaly very possible you got your mites from the dispensary. Good luck on getting rid of those and hope all works out well

B

BoCo Buds

over the holidays, saw one place that had an mmj plant in the lobby dressed up as an xmas tree... only the frost spray was thousands of tiny mite holes. pretty sure they spread those around quite a bit over the season... lmao

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
god damn hitchhikers bro

thats why its recommended you have garden clothes to change into - shoes and the works that you only wear in your grow area

T

TyKaycha

Not mentioning any names but there is a grower on this board who puts up some nice pics and seems to know a lot but a couple of people who I've talked to about the clones this grower has provided - all have had either pests, disease or pm.

But I'm not one to stir up trouble. Word will get around. Hell it already is.
Damn ICMaggers

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

I am purchasing a paint suit full body one for the room. I am the only one that really goes in there so I hope that helps I bombed and sprayed the plants and it seems to have worked. I am sending my wife to the dispensary from now on. I'm glad I found them before it was a major problem.

P

pilot error

Rules of thumb an old grower told me to stay pest free was

1.) Never wear clothing into your grow room that you've worn previously outdoors.
2.) Never let your pets, if they go outdoors, into your grow room.
3.) Quarantine all incoming clones until they are treated and sure they're pest free.

I've followed these and (knock on wood) I've stayed free of pests.

pilot

R

Rednick

Mites are found every summer outdoors in Colorado.
Now there are colonies being produced that keep hoping from house to house the last few years that are probably stronger than normal.

Best advice is keeping up on your veg, changing clothes, and regular spraying/atomizing.

They do seem to develop resistance to the bombs over time...Gassing is great for knocking out a large, developed population.

But the real challange is getting the 1% that survives and reproduces.
Azadiractin is the concentrated active ingredient in Neem oil (works to stop feeding, reproduction, and state development (pupal to larval, ect.).
Pyrethrins are from the Chyrssanthium flower. (They kill the mite.)
Forbid, Avid, Floramite are commercial strength kill-alls.

Also, mite metabolize by evaporation through their 'skin'. So, wind, heat and humidity plays a big role in their ability to gain strength and numbers.
And when a plant is thirsty or dehydrated, the sugars become more concentrated and nutritious for the mites (and your plant is also stressed). Double Whammy!

W

WomBat

Best Answer Ever!

I figure any shop with plants has mites
thats is why i am only growing seeds from here on out i bomb moved and spray chems so bad paint came of the wall and i didnt get rid of them till i went seed only

E

EuDiesel

1.) Never wear clothing into your grow room that you've worn previously outdoors.
2.) Never let your pets, if they go outdoors, into your grow room.
3.) Quarantine all incoming clones until they are treated and sure they're pest free.

This. And

DO

NOT

TRUST.

It's way more common than you think. And once you see it, it's too late.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Spray Avid once weekly until harvest. Then proceed to beat your plants senselessly and shop vac each top cola until most of the mite eggs and carcasses have removed and most of your trichomes are gone. Probably better to just spray one last time with Avid or Floramite once you harvest, so the mites don't eat your buds while drying. Then it is best to light a massive gasoline fire in the center of your growroom, burn all your medium, stalks, and root balls, and let the fire just burn almost to the point that you have a hole in the drywall. If you have a piece of enriched uranium, throw it into the fire also, so you will irradiate your walls. Then extinguish the fire using sulfur particles soaked in Avid, Floramite, Bleach, and Physan 20. To put out the smoldering ashes, unload about a dozen 200 lb. CO2 tanks in the room. These are the careful steps you should follow and you will be on track to a mite free commercial beasters harvest in no time!

Personally, I like to hand out mislabeled clones covered in PM to everyone! I keep a web of spider mites in my hair and beard, so right before give away a clone, I scratch my beard profusely over it. The real reason is so the sulfur in the dandruff in my beard kills the PM, but the trade off is spider mites!

And oh yea, you might want to peak at the TOU about talking about trading clones.
:anim_09:

Venom818

Venom818

Spray Avid once weekly until harvest. Then proceed to beat your plants senselessly and shop vac each top cola until most of the mite eggs and carcasses have removed and most of your trichomes are gone. Probably better to just spray one last time with Avid or Floramite once you harvest, so the mites don't eat your buds while drying. Then it is best to light a massive gasoline fire in the center of your growroom, burn all your medium, stalks, and root balls, and let the fire just burn almost to the point that you have a hole in the drywall. If you have a piece of enriched uranium, throw it into the fire also, so you will irradiate your walls. Then extinguish the fire using sulfur particles soaked in Avid, Floramite, Bleach, and Physan 20. To put out the smoldering ashes, unload about a dozen 200 lb. CO2 tanks in the room. These are the careful steps you should follow and you will be on track to a mite free commercial beasters harvest in no time!

Personally, I like to hand out mislabeled clones covered in PM to everyone! I keep a web of spider mites in my hair and beard, so right before give away a clone, I scratch my beard profusely over it. The real reason is so the sulfur in the dandruff in my beard kills the PM, but the trade off is spider mites!

And oh yea, you might want to peak at the TOU about talking about trading clones.
:anim_09:

careful homie u never know someone might take you serious

Tripsick

Tripsick

Nothing like sitting in a dispensary while the owner walks around in full gear spraying for mites. If you get mites... buy the 3 pack of miteicide on ebay and be done with it..
Hotshot no pest strips in your quarantine area for clones and a treatment of avid to welcome all new clones... Plus you may as well get some Eagle 20 to kill any PM you may run across.... Pop seeds you will be better off...

Plus Mophos tips on a clean grow area are spot on.

mr. bojangles

mr. bojangles

I agree, enriched urainium is da bomb.

( betcha that gets flagged by HLS :evilgrin0040:)

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Funny thing is the only plants that had mites were from seed the clones I got are clean. I fogged, sprayed and threw the plant that I think had there mite condo on it away its been a week and I haven't seen any survivors. None of the plants in my uc or in my Groudan got them only 2 soil that were separate from the rest maybe I got lucky after the room is cleared I will bomb it and try to unleash a whole tank of co2 before reusing the room.

S

SoCoMMJ

I believe that the CO2 death fog is a myth. Do the math on the ppms you will get by doing that and then understand that very high levels are needed for toxicity. You may kill the living ones if you get it high enough for long enough, but i don't think it will kill the eggs.

From Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

Prolonged exposure to moderate[clarification needed] concentrations can cause acidosis and adverse effects on calcium phosphorus metabolism resulting in increased calcium deposits in soft tissue. Carbon dioxide is toxic to the heart and causes diminished contractile force.[53]
Toxicity and its effects increase with the concentration of CO2, here given in volume percent of CO2 in the air:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

• 1% [10,000ppm]can cause drowsiness with prolonged exposure.[5]
  • At 2% [20,000ppm]it is mildly narcotic and causes increased blood pressure and pulse rate, and causes reduced hearing.[53]
  • At about 5% [50,000ppm]it causes stimulation of the respiratory center, dizziness, confusion and difficulty in breathing accompanied by headache and shortness of breath.[53] Panic attacks may also occur at this concentration.[55][56]
  • At about 8% [80,000ppm] it causes headache, sweating, dim vision, tremor and loss of consciousness after exposure for between five and ten minutes.[53]
Due to the health risks associated with carbon dioxide exposure, the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration says that average exposure for healthy adults during an eight-hour work day should not exceed 5,000 ppm (0.5%). The maximum safe level for infants, children, the elderly and individuals with cardio-pulmonary health issues is significantly less. For short-term (under ten minutes) exposure, the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and American Conference of Government Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) limit is 30,000 ppm (3%). NIOSH also states that carbon dioxide concentrations exceeding 4% are immediately dangerous to life and health[57] although physiological experiments show that such levels can be tolerated for some time.[58]

So my point is, if this is the effect on humans, what little effect would there be the invincible borg.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

...unleash a whole tank of co2 before reusing the room.

I was only joking dude! CO2 in an empty room won't do shit, except for maybe scare all your mites into your veg room! LOL! CO2 and bug bombs don't work, especially in an empty room. You can kill some of the mites with CO2 if you have me in there late in bloom. But its all just a waste, IMO! Also, I wouldn't do no pest strips, bombs, or CO2 in general in a home grow. You have to sleep there, why spread the cancer? Treat your moms with systemics and your clones, vegglings, and blooming girls will be okay. Just keep a clean environment. Mites aren't breeding outdoors at the moment, you should be able to knock 'em out indoors. The only time it gets bad is in the summer!

Top Bottom