Mites in the soil.

• Thread starter Creep420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Creep420

Creep420

Hello all. I just started my second grow yesterday. All new seedlings popped into cups and growing nicely.
This morning I went to check on them, and I noticed tons of little white/gray mites walking about the soil. I used to keep arachnids and other insects as pets, and would often notice grain mites in new soils which were more of decomposers in the enclosures. My question is would they harm the seedlings? Also how can I get rid of them??
Thanks in advance!

T

The Canadian

One way to deal with them is a Hydrogen Peroxide solution. However be cautious and look up the proper mixture, as well your local grow store or garden center may have some safe organic or inorganic products that deal with them.

Creep420

Creep420

Thank you!
I will look up the Peroxide method.
I used Diatomaceous Earth which I’m reading is a good killer and shouldn’t harm the plants. So far I am already noticing a decrease. The damn soil must have been loaded with mites, I just potted them yesterday

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Thank you!
I will look up the Peroxide method.
I used Diatomaceous Earth which I’m reading is a good killer and shouldn’t harm the plants. So far I am already noticing a decrease. The damn soil must have been loaded with mites, I just potted them yesterday

Yes DE works well, but it has to be dry to work, so just make sure to apply a generous layer over the top of the soil, after you water it. You can also dust the leaves to kill any bugs living there.

Creep420

Creep420

Thank you for the reply.
I noticed the first thin layer clumped up a bit, as these are tiny seedlings, I kept the soil somewhat damp. So I also put some DE around the cups where it is dry and if any mites leave or go into the cups they will have to walk through it. They are definitely decreasing, but I’ll keep dressing the top layer as the week goes on.
Im new to growing so I’ll be definitely treating the soil next time before I pot or repot.

T

The Canadian

Not sure what your situation is but maybe try getting better quality soil from a reputable place a few days before you need it so that it isnt sitting around getting infested in a poor storage area. Then you will have nice fresh clean soil to start with and maybe dip your clones as well to kill anything around the leaves and stem...Once you get a Fungal or insect problem once it likes to stick around for future grows in my experience.

Creep420

Creep420

Thanks for the advice! I would definitely prefer to buy soil from a reputable seller. What sites would you recommend for the next go?
I use seeds, so Idk about getting clones apart from creating my own in the future. I have read about issues continuing in the next grows as once they are introduced they are a pain to rid of the growing area.
Is there a way to treat soil before you pot the plants to be safe that you know of?

Creep420

Creep420

I have some photos and a video of a mite I isolated. It doesn’t appear to be a spider mite. Possibly a type of predacious or soil mite? I am hoping so as they are considered beneficial from what I am researching. They aren’t on the plants themselves that I can see but throughout the soil. (60x Eye loupe)

C8556B20 D128 4CB1 96B3 1CE3CB5D7D83
0F2B847D 804A 494E BD56 7863E74367D8
CE1AD967 9BB4 4787 B842 EF82820099E9
EA89A90E 709F 4E63 96AC AE32F7F8A69F
22FE4078 557A 48C3 8C64 C184F6998CB7
291ABE9E C2E6 4C89 8C07 BA650D80A729
7CE9377F 5DE5 49C1 99BC 0123E2A607A0
C.RunningFst

C.RunningFst

Looks like maybe a lil root aphid but that's just a guess because idk lol

Neem seed meal when mixed into soil keeps my soil pests gone.

I second DE like someone said too, and also nematodes are good to use.

I blend in a bit of Neem to my medium and I havent had to use nematodes since.

Neem is hot though, got a lot of N, so don't use too much, I think I mixed it a 1/4 cup per 3gal pot

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom