Mites on soil - friend or foe?

• Thread starter ItsAllMedical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

I have some dark caramel coloured mites on my soil grow. They run very fast and it's hard to identify them because of that. There's even a possibility they're baby spiders; I can't get them to hold still for a closer look.

Thoughts? There's no leaf damage; plants are young but look healthy. They seem to be making their home on the soil surface rather than the plants because they scurried about when I watered.

ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

Fast creepy-crawlies are often predators rather than plant eaters.
Thanks, I think you're right! It's hard to be certain because they move so fast, but I think they could be Hypoaspis miles. They look like they have a couple of antennae that they twitch a lot. Never had them before so they must have come in my soil.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Pics or it didn’t happen. Lol jk
But if you can get a pic of the plant so we can see and maybe even a video of the little buggers that would help too.

ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

Fast creepy-crawlies are often predators rather than plant eaters.
Thanks, I think you're right! It's hard to be certain because they move so fast, but I think they could be Hypoaspis miles. They look like they have a couple of antennae that they twitch a lot. Never had them before so they must have come in my soil.
Pics or it didn’t happen. Lol jk
But if you can get a pic of the plant so we can see and maybe even a video of the little buggers that would help too.
There's no way in hell I can capture these guys on my cheap Xiaomi 🤣 It's not much better than my eyes. Plants look good, no damage so I'm just going to have to assume they're not doing any harm.

Top Bottom