Mixing LED with HPS. Anyone doing it?

• Thread starter tonythc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tonythc

I have been interested in led lights for a long time but i have been very sceptical about using them as i dont seem to see very many great quality crops with people using them.
So instead of taking the leap and fitting my whole room out with led i decided a mix between both hps and Led. Im only 3.5 weeks into the grow cycle and im already starting to notice slight differences first being slow growth, im currently running 550 ppfd to the sides and the top of the canopy and plant temperature is 80 degrees °F / 27 °C. Has anyone else tried doing this before as i would like to know your experience

Last edited:
HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

A friend and me switched from HPS 250 W to Spiderfarmer SF-2000 200 W 2 years ago.

We re growing 8 plant in SOG 6 L pots in 90x60x180 (2x3x6)

We need to veg longer with the LED than with the HPS before switching to flowering (a week or two more)

Plant look less impressive with the LED than with the HPS in most case but yield is slighty higher with the LED and there a tendencies for less larfy buds bottom of the canopy than with the HPS

T

tonythc

A friend and me switched from HPS 250 W to Spiderfarmer SF-2000 200 W 2 years ago.

We re growing 8 plant in SOG 6 L pots in 90x60x180 (2x3x6)

We need to veg longer with the LED than with the HPS before switching to flowering (a week or two more)

Plant look less impressive with the LED than with the HPS in most case but yield is slighty higher with the LED and there a tendencies for less larfy buds bottom of the canopy than with the HPS
That does not surprise me at all, from what i can tell atm i looks like i will be in veg for around another week longer also.
Thats good to hear that the yield was slightly higher as that would make up for the time lost.

T

tonythc

Just a update. Im at 9 days into flower now and i have noticed a couple differences using a mix of led with hps. 1st is the plants definitely grow slower as i extended my grow by 10 days and they still did not get as big as they usually would but i turned them over to flower any ways. 2nd the bud development is also a little slower, although i have had plants develop buds slow before with no difference in yield, so this may mean nothing.

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
I used to run 1000w mh/hps systems.... I made switch to LED... my last harvest was 2lbs off 4 plants under medicgrow EZ 8...

I also run a phlizon fd6500 In a tent and I've had 1.75lb harvests under that light....

I have found great quality led lights and find its a lot easier to control your environment... one thing tho LED cause a lot of calmag deficiencies...

I've had a Gdp that took 14-16 week to fully flower but got 11.92oz off her alone....

20230925 183834
20231121 191312
Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Nice experiment OP!! How many Watts of total lights are you running there?

I think that Leds just need a bit of learning curve and the right strain.....thats it....the power savings are HUGE compared to HIDs rooms as far as light itself and cooling power needed...
Leds grows need more heat more humidity and more nutrients but is also important to lower the temps to normal in the last weeks of flowering....during the swell, it will retain more terps.......some strain that do well under HIDs dont do the same under LEDs...
Led rooms allow you to go sealed instead of vented with less money givin you the benefit of a complete control over environment and pests...and be stealth
Thats what i learned in this years...
My first two led runs were litterally dogshit because of light intensity and too much heat during the last weeks.....then once i started understanting the beast and found a good strain i kept pulling 1.6 gpw of high quality nugs....

Seems that cannabis flowers LOVE that reddish spectum of HPS doh...maybe in the future we will see orange spectrum leds like 2700K with more far red too more common than full spectum ?!?!

3cats

3cats

I have been interested in led lights for a long time but i have been very sceptical about using them as i dont seem to see very many great quality crops with people using them.
So instead of taking the leap and fitting my whole room out with led i decided a mix between both hps and Led. Im only 3.5 weeks into the grow cycle and im already starting to notice slight differences first being slow growth, im currently running 550 ppfd to the sides and the top of the canopy and plant temperature is 80 degrees °F / 27 °C. Has anyone else tried doing this before as i would like to know your experience
I ran a 1000w hps for 20 years then I got an sf1000, a 100w led .I vegged under it for 2 months then flipped under my hps and it came out beautifully. My next adventure with Led's was with an SE3000 I bought shortly after my harvest and I vegged under the sf1000 and flipped under the sE3000. i WAS SO IMPRESSED WITH MY GROW i'VE BOUGHT 2 MORE, (fkin cap lock) Se3000 lights and I've retired my hps. I did one grow with my hps over 4 plants and an SE3000 over 3 in the same space, different strains grew differently but I couldn't see any size or bud quality difference. I'm sold on led's but in winter months I have to add a heater that I didn't do with my hps

C

chi_weezy

Bringing this back to life. I’m about to start a room up with a buddy and we are used to HPS. We had 26 lights but at 5x6 footprint. We want to expand to 40 lights, but keep power down and not add a ton of heat. So the idea is to alternate LEDs with 1k HPS. Save on electricity as well as cooling.

Anybody do this and have a good suggestion for layout? Bad idea? Been wanting to flower with LEDs also so this maybe a good transition. Medium will be Grodan blocks on 1G coco bags, drippers, Aroya, all the good stuff. Any ideas or experience appreciated and may make my own post actually now that I think about it

Latest posts

Top Bottom