Mixing Microbes?

• Thread starter Saint Skinny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Howdy Doody Rowdy Booties!
I'm getting a little deeper into the microbiology rabbit hole, and I have come up with a little question when it comes to packaged micro beast innoculants.

Alot of innoculants have more than one type of micro beasties, Oregonism XL for example has the following:
Glomus aggregatum
Glomus intraradices
Glomus mosseae
Pisolithus tinctorius
Scleroderma cepa
Scleroderma citrinum
Trichoderma harzianum
Trichoderma koningii
Azotobacter chroococcum
Bacillus azotoformans
Bacillus coagulan
Bacillus licheniformis
Bacillus megaterium
Bacillus pumilus
Bacillus subtilis
Bacillus thuringiensis
Paenibacillus polymyxa , Pseudomonas aureofaciens, Pseudomonas fluorescens Streptomyces griseus
Streptomyces lydicus

While some have just a single species, like Botanicare Hydroguard which has Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens.

I've done a little research on a few of the species in Oregonism but I have a lot more to do. Anyway, back to my question.

Do these microbes work best together, like a "more the merrier" type thing? Or could mixing bennies have some sort of negative impact?

I know that in nature, these types of things tend to equal each other out, like if there are too many rabbits in a certain area, foxes or coyotes or whatever would usually bring the population down to a more manageable level. But if "the master of the universe" was constantly or regularly throwing in extra rabbits, it may be more difficult to control the population. This may not translate to microbes but I thought it was worth the shot

Im asking because I have a few products on hand that I considered adding to my phos guano tea a an hour or so before feeding (I know that alot of the species need roots to live, so I make sure to add them either an hour before feeding or just before feeding. I know some people will consider using them in almost any way, aside from putting some in the transplant hole, a waste, but I'm trying to figure out what works for me)

I have:
Oregonism XL (Myco, Tricho, Scleroderma, Glomus)
Hydroguard (Bacillus)
SLF-100 (enzymes)
Diamond Black (Humic Acids)
(Would Diamond black be enough feed the microbes? I don't have any molasses right meow and $ is tight)

Any help is appreciated!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Since we are still in a bit of an infancy with regard to working with microbes, I say throw it all in. That said, I personally do not recommend adding them to nutrient teas. Not a factual thing, but I believe that the concentration of nutrients may depress numbers, especially with regard to P.

Also, don't stay married to molasses. It's a sugar, that's it. Use sugar. The less processed the sugar the more minerals you get in it, but if all you have is white table sugar, it'll feed the microbes for you just fine.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Since we are still in a bit of an infancy with regard to working with microbes, I say throw it all in. That said, I personally do not recommend adding them to nutrient teas. Not a factual thing, but I believe that the concentration of nutrients may depress numbers, especially with regard to P.

Also, don't stay married to molasses. It's a sugar, that's it. Use sugar. The less processed the sugar the more minerals you get in it, but if all you have is white table sugar, it'll feed the microbes for you just fine.
What about a straight microbe tea?
Maybe:
Oregonism XL
Hydroguard
SLF-100
Sugar?
Bubbled for an hour then on to the roots? Would diamond black do any good or nay?

I personally never used molasses but I've kind of been attempting expanding my horizons a bit so to speak. More or less trying to keep my hands busy and my mind on my plants and my keep head less busy worrying about what I can't control.

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

I was that weird kid who hung out in the back yard playing with bugs,sticks,and "junk piles" to take stuff apart and see how it worked. I can distinctly remember the diff molds i see growing in diff area's of the farm on diff things entirely and became interested in what they were doing. Never seemed to want to understand the technical terminology for the molds i was looking at i just went by colors and odors, learned early that leaving them alone is best and they are possibly one of the most important methods by which my local forest floor works with fungi to break the seasons debris up to make it more readily available for the plants to uptake through theirs roots if i am not mistaken. I agree with seamaiden, i dont have your understanding of all that nomenclature but i have yet to run into a bad mold in my gardens.....So far ive been blessed i guess, and yes im knocking on wood as i type.! Great question though. I actually have a sativa leaning plant right now in active mold containers.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

I just pictured you knocking on a moldy chunk of wood lol I remember finding that glow in the dark mold at my grandparents house, it blew my mind when I saw it glow the first time

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What about a straight microbe tea?
Maybe:
Oregonism XL
Hydroguard
SLF-100
Sugar?
Bubbled for an hour then on to the roots? Would diamond black do any good or nay?

I personally never used molasses but I've kind of been attempting expanding my horizons a bit so to speak. More or less trying to keep my hands busy and my mind on my plants and my keep head less busy worrying about what I can't control.
IIRC, the Oregonism is mycos, right? IIRC they need about 24hrs to build/grow more fungal hyphae. I don't know what bubbling the Hydroguard will do, I thought it was an enzyme, and I don't know what the SLF-100 is at all, same with Black Diamond (can you tell? I spend exactly zero hours per year in a hydro shop.)

If it were me, I would take whatever shows cell counts and/or species, and bubble that with sugar and maybe some baby oatmeal for 24hrs. Or just worm castings. :)

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

will natural fruit sugars be usable in leiu of molasses?
The sugar in fruit is a monosaccharide called fructose, a type of carbohydrate. Table sugar, in contrast, is a disaccharide known as sucrose. Although most fruits have the same type of sugar in them, they don't all have the same amount of it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I honestly don't see why not. I haven't used fruit sugars, unless you count stuff like agave or coconut sugar (which is derived from.. the nectar I think, I can't recall, but I do know that coconut sugar is very high in minerals and that's why it's not good for making kombucha and certain other ferments). I wonder if palm sugar is considered a fruit sugar. I've used that, too.

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

Figs seem luxurious for a reason: One cup of raw figs has 27 grams of sugar, or about as much as a candy bar. Unlike candy, though, figs come with hearty doses of fiber and potassium.
I wanna experiment with some diff types of brews towards mid-late flowering in an effort to induce flavor profiles. i may be outa my mind also though.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I seriously love figs. Figgity figgity FIG!

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

IIRC, the Oregonism is mycos, right? IIRC they need about 24hrs to build/grow more fungal hyphae. I don't know what bubbling the Hydroguard will do, I thought it was an enzyme, and I don't know what the SLF-100 is at all, same with Black Diamond (can you tell? I spend exactly zero hours per year in a hydro shop.)

If it were me, I would take whatever shows cell counts and/or species, and bubble that with sugar and maybe some baby oatmeal for 24hrs. Or just worm castings. :)
- (From their site) Oregonism XL is a custom blend of seven endo/ecto mycorrhizae species, two types of Trichoderma, and thirteen species of beneficial bacteria, as well as yucca, humic acid and soluble kelp.

So that should be bubbled for 24 hours before using?
-Hydroguard is bacillus (a species that isn't in Oregonism, I checked it out)
- slf-100 is a mixture of enzymes/micro beasties, some people Use it instead of hygrozyme

-Diamond Black is Humic Acids from General Organics, but since oregonism XL has some in it I may forgoe this

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, I'd do 24hrs, give 'em time to reproduce. Looks good!

Top Bottom