Modified WaterFarm Systems

• Thread starter altitudefarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Ok, I inherited a ton of WaterFarm systems- the idiots who set up this mmc grow had no clue how to grow efficiently. They originally were using bamboo stakes and un-modified waterfarm systems to produce a ton of 1-3oz, hideously overfed, unflushed, disease and pest-ridden plants. It was more of a mite ranch and bacteria culture operation.
Now I had to make the best of a bad situation; we're doing our best with what we have to work with. I removed several of the systems in order to grow larger plants, drilled extra holes in the bottom of the 'net pots', so the roots could reach easily down to the nutrient solution, and added airstones to each bucket. This was my best attempt at turbo-charging the waterfarms.
I also purchased the extra-large tomato cages at Ace Hardware- in bulk they were $4.50 each. (a real bargain when you think about what a PITA trellis can be...). I cut the bottom stakes off the cages, and the bottom ring slipped right around the 'net pot' and locked right into place. As I'm watching these girls develop, I am guesstimating at least 4 oz per plant; some will yield 5-6 oz.
Also, this many waterfarms would be a huge PITA to flush on a weekly basis, so I switched to H&G nutrients because their "Drip Clean" offers a continuous flush- no need to flush every week at rez change. I did have to tweak their feeding schedule due to N-sensitive strains, but I am very happy overall with the results so far.
The lights will eventually be moved closer together to give the top canopy more lumens, and other changes will be made as I have the time. This project was a vast undertaking- the grow was filthy, bugs everywhere, and generally just a total failure by some guys who thought that a couple semi-successful closet grows qualified them to grow on a large scale for sick people. We are now pathogen/pest-free, clean, and the girls are loving life. My work is just about to hit the top shelves of the shop- just waiting on my say-so that the cure is complete.

Here's a couple shots of one of the bloom rooms:

DSCN3012.JPG

DSCN3011.JPG

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

man that sounds like exactly what i started with
i had to deal with a wicked p.m. issue and 3 different types of mites. root rot. no a/c, no fans, no chiller. and i have 4 rainforests i cant get rid of
looking back, i learned a shitload cuz of it

looks clean as hell, keep up the hard work

Aligee

Aligee

Nice job bruh... somebodies gotta do it !!! you turned it completely around any before pics ? !!!

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Very nice work bud! Everything is looking fresh and clean... :cool

M

midnightrider

very good job ,,,, i like the tomato cage idea ,,,, thanks i am gonna use it

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

i had to deal with a wicked p.m. issue

Word. I wish I was smart and read before I purchased this system. Nothing but problems until I did a little modification. This thread should be read first before purchasing an 8 pack.

C

calicoli

Very nice!! My waterfarm is loud, can't imagine what a ton of them sound like!!

U

ukbigbud

hi what is the system actually called because waterfarms and aquafarms are stand alone arent they??? thanks

U

ukbigbud

thanks, if u go on thru the europe website its not there. also have u seen the mega farm , that system is defo the one!!!!!!!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I'd highly recommend the larger system! Even then, I'd drill more holes in the 'net pot' so the roots have room to explore, and add an airstone to the individual reservoirs. It has helped TREMENDOUSLY with yield and overall plant health.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hell no. I'd take a UC any day over the waterfarm. I'll post up some things I've had to do with my wf systems, in order to make them work better. I just have to grab some photos- I'll do it tonight.

G

gettogro

I switched to H&G nutrients because their "Drip Clean" offers a continuous flush- no need to flush every week at rez change. I did have to tweak their feeding schedule due to N-sensitive strains, but I am very happy overall with the results so far.[/img]

Drip clean works well with other brands as well. I have used Drip clean with Advanced for a couple runs with great results...

Looks great btw

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Drip clean works well with other brands as well. I have used Drip clean with Advanced for a couple runs with great results...

Looks great btw

I appreciate the heads up. I will give it a shot with some other nutrients.

Shane20

Shane20

What are your mix rates with the H&G? Waiting for your pics with your other mods also. Looking good!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Sorry about the delay.

So I finally have a minute to update this thread. I only have one photo, but I'll explain in detail the modifications I made to the waterfarm systems. I'm not claiming to know more than the R&D dept at General Hydroponics. I am just going to explain what I did to modify systems I was forced to use. I am very confident that the yield per plant (ypp, haha) is going to be increased by at least an ounce. The former grower struggled to produce 3 zips/plant. Possibly from an EC of 3.9, not flushing at all during bloom cycle, bamboo stakes for support (fail), a pH of 6.4, and all different varieties of cannabis in the same systems. A testament to the will-to-live and durability of the cannabis plant. Oh, and harvest every 8 weeks on the nose, no matter what strain was run... and bugs (just discovered root aphids. fml)
But back to the systems.

For starters, I noticed the 'net pots' had holes in the bottom, but they are all 'raised' like pimples. this would cause the nutrient solution to pool maybe 1/16-1/8" in the bottom of the pot. I don't want any stagnant water in my system if possible, so I drilled many of them out with a 1/8" drill bit. I also added a few extra holes so the roots could grow down into the bottom bucket, instead of being cramped in that net pot. The water is circulating, but it is very slow, so I also added an airstone to the bottom bucket. This will boost the O2 content in the solution; the roots that grow through will appreciate it.

DSCN3030.JPG

As you see in the photo, these tomato cages (Ace Hardware) fit perfectly around the buckets, and lock into place. We only broke one weld when snapping them on to the buckets. The cage still works, with a little wire repair. The salts on the buckets and some ht are from previous grows, and they are more stain than deposit. Love that Drip Clean.
I cut 2" off the feed tubes (the air pump assembly) so I could bury the drip ring deeper into the hydroton. My intent was to have a top layer of hydroton that was completely dry and would block light. I'm not trying to cultivate algae or any other growth in my systems.

So far, excellent. H&G nutrients all the way, minus shooting powder. Currently flushing the first yield off the new systems. Looking forward to comparing results.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
shit way you dewscribe that other guys grow he was lucky to get 3 zips per - lol

seems like some good common sense upgrades - awesome find on the form fitting mater cagers

P

potberryfin

I am not a big fan of waterfarm systems, they need too much modifying..but you have done an amazing job

Top Bottom