Molasses Problems

• Thread starter diesel23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

diesel23

So I've been hearing and reading alot about people using molasses during flowering so I decided to try it. Did I make a mistake??? I boiled some water added in the blackstrap molasses and stirred until it desolved. I poured it into the rez and everything seem fine. UNTIL my pump started making noises and I went to check it out. I was horrified. It was packed with gunk. The airstones were covered in a jelly like substance. Is this normal????

R

Rabbi

Does the jelly like substance taste like molasses? Lmao molasses is mostly cheap sweetener/Carbo for soil grows

C

CAPO

I've never used blackstrap(unsulphered?) molasses, I use Humboldt's organic honey. It dissolves nicely in water, stays mixed up with no heating necessary. Did you try to mix a sample with water first before 'cooking it'?

My reason for using it soley lies in feeding my beneficials.

J

Jalisco Kid

What was your rate? I use 1 tsp/gal, only in flowering. JK

D

diesel23

I mixed 1 cup into 1.5 gallons and poured everything into a 70 gal Rez.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I have never heated it. I've heard some people boil it, but I never have. I don't use too much though- 4-6 tbsp per 75-gal rez. I always dissolve it in a 5-gal bucket of tepid water first; half a dose in each of 2 buckets. Never had that problem. I'm wondering if it didn't cause a chemical reaction and the goo is a precipitate. These form when nutrients aren't diluted enough when introduced to the reservoir. (sorry if I'm saying anything you already know). Peace

P

purpleblockhead

ive been using molasses as long as i can remember, ive tried many ways and kinds, the best all around mollasses is heavy weight by nutrilite by all around i mean size, cost, and quality, you get a gallon for 20 dollars i was told its the same as humbolt honey just 3 times cheaper, i never liked mixing my own 2 much messy work!!!! go 2 the hydro store and get heavy weight if you want quality for cheap

P

purpleblockhead

opps 4got!! i allways get a lil slime you need a pump going in your res 2 keep it stired up!! i use 1000 ml per 100 gallon res weeks 3-7,8,9 depends on strain and its never cloged my pump not once, it was probly the brand of molasses you used some consterated is like glue

B

BayArea

I like Earth Juice Hi-Brix. Like $16 per galln. Solid formula - plant appropriate Molasses and it dilutes at room temp with no issues after a little mixing.

- guess I'm not to sure as to it's hydro application - but it mixes excellent -

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
It happens. Covers the stones and builds up. gott change ur rez more often and rinse with hot water. Sucks! I would cut it out of the program.

J

Jalisco Kid

I pay 24 bucks for 5 Gal ($4.80/gal) at my local feed lot. JK

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

It happens. Covers the stones and builds up. gott change ur rez more often and rinse with hot water. Sucks! I would cut it out of the program.

Don't cut it out unless you replace it with another carbo boost / sweetner. It really gives the micro-organisms (and thus your plant) a kick in the pants. Try not boiling it and using way less, before you decide to eliminate it. Or try a different brand, half-strength. Even 2 tbsp in the entire rez will add a little something for your myco...

J

Jalisco Kid

That is only 1/2 tsp/gal. I have many friends who use it at 1 tbs/gal with no problems.
Curious what size pump? Though you should have been able to just pump that 1.5 gal mixture of yours through most pumps. The slime is natural. What you have to watch out for if you have a colony of bad bacteria. Once you feed them you can create a monster.JK

justiceman

justiceman

I honestly wouldn't use molasses in a rez. Its organic and contains more then just carbs it has som organic matter to it as well as minerals and vitamins. I would probably use something more refined like Sweet from botanicare for a rez.

For me it would be:
hydro Reservoir: Botanicare sweet
Soil, soil-less, drain to waste: molasses

homebrew420

homebrew420

How much does 1.5 cups come out to be in tsp? I know when I used it, it caused root rot. huge plants in smealler buckets and I used too much. I am in soil now and the plants don't really take too much notice. Imo. have not noticed any real difference. Though I will keep trying. good luck hope your dosage wasn't tooo much and everything just needs a rez change.

Peace
HB

justiceman

justiceman

How much does 1.5 cups come out to be in tsp? I know when I used it, it caused root rot. huge plants in smealler buckets and I used too much. I am in soil now and the plants don't really take too much notice. Imo. have not noticed any real difference. Though I will keep trying. good luck hope your dosage wasn't tooo much and everything just needs a rez change.

Peace
HB
1.5 cups is 72 Teaspoons(360ml) or 24 Tablespoons.
Molasses alone I don't believe causes root rot. It would have had to have acted as food for anaerobic bacteria conditions that must have been present already. Its not so much as a plant booster. More of a soil biology booster witch should in turn help out your plants health and vigor. So if you plant is already healthy and vigorous you probably won't see much difference, but you are at least ensuring high brix levels, as well as enough food for your first line of defense. A diverse population of warriors(bacteria/fungi) will ensure that pathogenic, and or anaerobic bacteria are out competed for food.

Rez change def.

Latest posts

Top Bottom