mold/fungus on bottom of container?

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

so im not sure what this is, ive decided to reuse my peat from last run and mix it with some organic soil and compost and just make a home brew soil which the plants are doing very very nice in...but when picking up the pots, at the bottom drainage holes where the soil protrudes, i have clusters of small white balls, theres nice white roots too, but these clusters look like some sort of mold or fungus and im not sure if its good or bad for the plants...

i dont have any pics but i found some online that look similar

and before anyone says anything about bugs, i know i dont have any, im experienced in that area, less in the mold/fungus area

Copy of mold on grassjpg
straincreation

straincreation

Idk man you sure its not beneficials. The mold your showing is on vegetation you say you have them in root/soil area. U using trays, run to waste? Keeping soil sogggy? How do your plants look you say theres roots how do they look?

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

i didnt add any benniies, but i reused by canna coco from last run and mixed it with some "3 in 1" compost soil and some other compost with bone meal mixed in....a very simple mix that works, but i have this white mold spores on the bottom of the containers only where the holes are and soil is..

plants and roots look fine, nice white thick roots comming out the bottom...plants are about 3 weeks in veg

as for drainage i will admit it could be a bit better at the bottom of the containers...

one thing i must say, is from last run after cutting my plants, i just left the buckets in the room to dry out...(was pure canna coco)..as i was planning on reusing the coco anyways...about a month or so later when i wanted to start this run, i started to mix my soil, and thats when i noticed that when breaking apart some of the coco it had thes clusters of white "mini mushrooms" that were less than 1/2 1mm...really tiny but in large clusters...when i seen it i threw that coco away and only reused the coco that looked fine and uniform...and now this is happening on the bottom of the containers only where the soil comes out

i did use caps bennies last run with the coco, but seeing as how i let the containers dry out and sit for over a month, then when i mixed it with new soil i let it sit and cook for just over 2 weeks

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

and ya i see thats on a blade of grass, its the first pic i seen that looks similar to what i see

WeedGod

WeedGod

and ya i see thats on a blade of grass, its the first pic i seen that looks similar to what i see
Does yours look more yellow? I used to get that in bails of sunshine4 but never figured out wut it was

straincreation

straincreation

Any shrooms near your grow you may have gotten some spores in there. If indeed they are tiny mushrooms. Im stumped bro I dont grow coco. ive seen this kind of stuff in welll cooked soil packed with micro life but if your sterile then idk. Imo if its not hurting your girls it should be ok. I understand you want to stop a problem before any start. maybe let some coco guuys shine in and spit some knowledge on the subject.
Happy farmin;)

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Are the plants looking unhealthy? It can take 14+ days to get fruiting bodies after a fungus has started growing in the medium, I've been seeing some pretty wild stuff in my media the last month or so (trying a different watering technique that's working almost too well) that I've never seen before fungus-wise, not seeing any sort of harm to the plants if anything they seem healthier.

canadaseed

canadaseed

This happens to a lot of planting mediums if you leave them long enough in the same container Because you re-used the peat and coco (without rinsing) there is microbial life still in there. I don't believe it is dangerous however... i would (as safely as possible) wash the bottom of those containers and afterward try to discourage any light from reaching the base area of the pots. tricky i know. What color are your pots and the ground they are on?

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

ok cool, well so far no bad signs in the plants, their doing great and about to flip, was delaying the flip cuz i didnt want unhealthy plants to be flowered, but they look fine..

as for the other 140 that will need to be planted, ive decided to rinse and wash each bucket in a large water/bleach container...also throw out the rest of the coco and go back to what works best

T

toquer

Awe I'm sad to read that last post. You have found/cultured a beneficial fungus that like your plans and medium. Keep it. It is very valuable to your environment. It takes some work to get fungus to thrive like that.
Now what it fixes is the question...
I don't have the slightest clue how to determine that but I'd gamble on saying P (Phosphorus). Because that's likely what it survived on before going into spore form from lack of moisture. Having reintroduced bone meal gave them a great source of food.
Do you mind unearthing one from the pot and looking at the mycelium network in there? Should look like thick white network of webs similar to roots and your roots should be covered in hairs. Do this a day after watering as they won't be visible if it's wet.
Over watering will kill the network but fungi are awesome creatures.

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

If your plants aren't showing any signs of ill health, then its probably not a harmful fungus. I usually see fungi in soils as a sign of good soil health.

AfricanHaze

AfricanHaze

What are those clusters growing on - on the roots or on the medium you're using? If the latter, then it indicates it's probably saprotrophic and therefore probably not harmful (though still could be).

Did you touch the little balls? If slimy, then they could be a slime mold (not harmful).

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

no spores are growing on the medium its self, not the roots, and no i didnt touch them...

either way ive kept this room as is to flower but have changed my mix for the other roomto what i know gives the best results

Top Bottom