molybdenum? ammonium nitrate?

• Thread starter organikn8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

organikn8

just got some free samples of nutes from my local hydroponics place , one of the bottles says foliage will contain molybdenum which is toxic to reminent animals , this just sounds like a no no . I am organic but like to do side projects , should i avoid use of this all together?

another fert also contains ammonium nitrate as well as ammonium phosphate im thinking this would kill soil life am i right?

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

In normal ratios they will not kill the life in the soil.
It should feed them an the plants.

Love my chem Nutes!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
just got some free samples of nutes from my local hydroponics place , one of the bottles says foliage will contain molybdenum which is toxic to reminent animals , this just sounds like a no no . I am organic but like to do side projects , should i avoid use of this all together?

another fert also contains ammonium nitrate as well as ammonium phosphate im thinking this would kill soil life am i right?
Molybdenum is a necessary element, in very small quantities. If the NH4NO3 and (NH4)3PO4 are at sufficiently high saturation points, yes, they'll kill the microbes. I personally wouldn't use it, but then I personally don't typically shop hydroponic stores. I personally am also very into organic, closed-loop type growing, when and where ever possible.

O

organikn8

thanks guys
what is closed loop style growing , im very interested in refining my ways

squarepusher

squarepusher

Ammonium type fertilizer is kind of garbage, mostly to be used in strictly outdoor dirt situations. Putting it in a hydroponics formula is basically cheaping out

Hermitian

Hermitian

Ammonium type fertilizer is kind of garbage, mostly to be used in strictly outdoor dirt situations. Putting it in a hydroponics formula is basically cheaping out

Other than air, Nitrogen is available to plants in four basic forms: ammonia, urea, nitrate, and organo-protein. In true (soil-less) hydroponics there are no soil microbes to break down the urea form or most of the protein forms. This leaves you with choosing from the ammonia forms, the nitrate forms, and blood meal. Most manufacturers will use a mixture of the first two in part to balance the acid-forming nature of the nitrate, but also for compatibility with other mineral nutrients in the formula. There are also water-soluble products whose nitrogen component is mostly blood meal with relatively small amounts of the ammonical and nitrate forms, for example the popular 16-16-16 and 4-26-26 with dehydrated seaweed extract. These are excellent formulas for Cannabis in either soil or hydroponic applications.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What's the N form found in blood meal?

Hermitian

Hermitian

What's the N form found in blood meal?

The "blood meal" I'm referring to is the products licensed for sale as fertilizer in the U.S (although it is available in other countries, I'm just not sure of their licensing). This will be primarily from slaughtered beef and pork. It typically undergoes a two-step dehydration process to insure (a) sterilization, (b) solubility, and (c) uniformity of nitrogen content.

So, provided those things have been done the Nitrogen will be almost entirely in the water-soluble organo-protein form -- meaning a carbon-nitrogen-ammonia. Seamaiden - I believe you recognize that the "organo" in "organo-protein" refers to the presence of carbon in the molecule. In a healthy hydroponic or soil environment, the blood meal will be introduced to an acidic environment in the presence of other minerals. Because of this, both the water-soluble and slight amount of water-insoluble will be readily available to the plants. This is why fertilizer-licensed blood meal is considered one of the few fast-acting sources of nitrogen for "organic gardening". It is also a good source for "less than organic" applications too.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I decided to get bone meal instead, because it smells like chicharrones. <winky of absolution> (and for the P sans high alkalinity)

What's the molecular structure of this highly available N? It's not NH3/4, it's not NO3 (is it?), and with my perfunctory Googling I'm not getting anything other than "highly available." This is more to satisfy my curiosity at this moment than anything else, except I also know that such satisfaction can often be used later down the road (assuming I remember).

Hermitian

Hermitian

I decided to get bone meal instead, because it smells like chicharrones. <winky of absolution> (and for the P sans high alkalinity)

What's the molecular structure of this highly available N? It's not NH3/4, it's not NO3 (is it?), and with my perfunctory Googling I'm not getting anything other than "highly available." This is more to satisfy my curiosity at this moment than anything else, except I also know that such satisfaction can often be used later down the road (assuming I remember).

At the intuitive level, consider that the nitrogen (among other things) in blood are part of a circulatory delivery and recovery system. Whereas the nitrogen in flesh is part of a semi-permanent structural system. Assuming you've had some O-chem or Bio-chem, the blood contains protein chains with ammonia-like radicals. These differ from proteins present in flesh where most of the nitrogen is bound up in covalent structures.

O

organikn8

wow im interested but totally lost at the same time , u guys are smart :)

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
hay man

The "blood meal" I'm referring to is the products licensed for sale as fertilizer in the U.S (although it is available in other countries, I'm just not sure of their licensing). This will be primarily from slaughtered beef and pork. It typically undergoes a two-step dehydration process to insure (a) sterilization, (b) solubility, and (c) uniformity of nitrogen content.

So, provided those things have been done the Nitrogen will be almost entirely in the water-soluble organo-protein form -- meaning a carbon-nitrogen-ammonia. Seamaiden - I believe you recognize that the "organo" in "organo-protein" refers to the presence of carbon in the molecule. In a healthy hydroponic or soil environment, the blood meal will be introduced to an acidic environment in the presence of other minerals. Because of this, both the water-soluble and slight amount of water-insoluble will be readily available to the plants. This is why fertilizer-licensed blood meal is considered one of the few fast-acting sources of nitrogen for "organic gardening". It is also a good source for "less than organic" applications too.

you seem to be in the know on organics and chelated nutes is this statement true?

chemical chelated ferts will kill off beneis?
hydro is a sterial system no beneis?
organic is where beneis really are needed?
so buying beneis for hydro waterworking systems is like feeding your plant carbs a waste?

Top Bottom