More air stones? Better pump?

• Thread starter SamRD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SamRD

SamRD

So from my research more air is better but at some point there is an oxygen saturation point and there are no more benefits. This is the bucket I bought https://indoorgrowingcanada.com/col...ulture/products/alfred-dwc-1-plant-system-kit

The pump https://www.hydrotekhydroponics.com...hydroponic-air-pump-1-outlet-108l-h-3w-145011

https://www.hydrotekhydroponics.com/alfred-airstone-cylinder-1-7-x-1-7-145550

I'm guessing the standard pump and stone is as cheap as it gets and it does not reach that saturation point. Do you recommend investing in a good pump with more than one outlet so I can have multiple stones running there? Any recommendations for quality pumps and stones?

I'm also wrapping the thing in reflectix for insulation, is this the best option available?

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

If the water doesn't get too warm it should be fine. A second redundant pump can't hurt. You want 80 to 100 gph of air per bucket @72F to stay optimum.

SamRD

SamRD

If the water doesn't get too warm it should be fine. A second redundant pump can't hurt. You want 80 to 100 gph of air per bucket @72F to stay optimum.

It's a closet grow and it's 86 to 90F in summer and right now with cooler temps it's 78.8F. Might go lower. I can't get a chiller, that's why I'm asking about reflectix to help and more stones

Ponky

Ponky

It's a closet grow and it's 86 to 90F in summer and right now with cooler temps it's 78.8F. Might go lower. I can't get a chiller, that's why I'm asking about reflectix to help and more stones
You will have to either add hydrogen peroxide everyday or use some beneficial bacteria if you can get a bottle. The water temp needs to be 74F or below otherwise the water will get root rot. So it's either peroxide frequently or colonize with bacteria. Air stones can only do so much. Water that's too warm can only hold so much. It's the balancing act. I've had plants where one was given peroxide. And one wasn't. Same grow. Same clones. Same food. And it was hot so the water was close to 80f. And the one with no peroxide died and lost all its roots in one night.

A method I use that people may hate is when there are nice roots I'll let the water level get really low to let the roots have some air time. And with peroxide they stay nice and white. And my clones have the fine roots and the big tap root looking roots aswell.
And it's with simple food. A drill operated pump is what I use to suck out the water and change it.
I use a small handheld laser thermometer to keep an eye on my water and hot zones. Good cheap investment. Anything that keeps the water cool is great.

SamRD

SamRD

You will have to either add hydrogen peroxide everyday or use some beneficial bacteria if you can get a bottle. The water temp needs to be 74F or below otherwise the water will get root rot. So it's either peroxide frequently or colonize with bacteria. Air stones can only do so much. Water that's too warm can only hold so much. It's the balancing act. I've had plants where one was given peroxide. And one wasn't. Same grow. Same clones. Same food. And it was hot so the water was close to 80f. And the one with no peroxide died and lost all its roots in one night.

A method I use that people may hate is when there are nice roots I'll let the water level get really low to let the roots have some air time. And with peroxide they stay nice and white. And my clones have the fine roots and the big tap root looking roots aswell.
And it's with simple food. A drill operated pump is what I use to suck out the water and change it.
I use a small handheld laser thermometer to keep an eye on my water and hot zones. Good cheap investment. Anything that keeps the water cool is great.

I have a bag of recharge I want to add to colonize, but damn it died in one night? I'm scared now, would rather not use peroxide but at least it's safer and measurable, my bag of recharge I'm not sure, what if I don't add the right quantity or make some mistake and wake up to a dead plant 🙁

Ponky

Ponky

Yeah man. It was less than a week from being done. All the leaves died and the roots went brown and came off the stalk. Peroxide is all I can get. Or I'd use enzymes. Quality ones. If you smell eggs or anything foul it's bad news. It wasn't a disaster as I wanted to have a control plant that didn't get anything. But I thought since it didn't get sick sooner I didn't need anything. So it's good it died. Made me 100% sure you need to use something. Or change water daily until you can get something to put in the water.

SamRD

SamRD

Yeah man. It was less than a week from being done. All the leaves died and the roots went brown and came off the stalk. Peroxide is all I can get. Or I'd use enzymes. Quality ones. If you smell eggs or anything foul it's bad news. It wasn't a disaster as I wanted to have a control plant that didn't get anything. But I thought since it didn't get sick sooner I didn't need anything. So it's good it died. Made me 100% sure you need to use something. Or change water daily until you can get something to put in the water.

May I ask what is the concentration and feed schedule/quantity of peroxide you use daily?

Ponky

Ponky

May I ask what is the concentration and feed schedule/quantity of peroxide you use daily?
When temps are high I mix 60 ml of peroxide into my top up jug. Which is 2 gallons. And top off. Or I mix a fresh 5 gallon and add 60 ml to that with the food. Apparently it's pretty forgiving. When temps are 70F or less in the bucket I don't always use peroxide. But I bought a case so I don't run out. The grow store jugs are stronger and cheaper. 12% or something like that. Use way less.

So far my favorite food is MaxiBloom. No supplements. With my water it stays at 6.0 without adjusting. KoolBloom on some runs.
I find less is more. I'm using about 50 grams of the maxibloom powder per 5 gallon bucket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom