More Magnesium During Veg?

• Thread starter Gamechanga12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gamechanga12

Hello everyone,

When my plants are in veg I add CalMag to every feed. In flower I add calmag plus I add around 5 TBSP of magnsium sulfate powder. Should I be adding the powder in veg also ?

Skovi

Skovi

Why are you adding cal-mag, do you have a noticeable calcium or magnesium deficiency? Or are you just adding it because you heard you should?

Calcium and magnesium need to be kept in the proper ratio in order to be completely available to the plant. Calcium deficiency is common in soil grows during flowering. But if you add calcium.. you also must add magnesium. That's why calcium and magnesium are usually sold together in a mixture.

Are you growing in soil? If that's the case, you should add cal-mag during flower, because herb has a higher calcium requirement than the average plant that your fertilizer/soil mix is for. Add it during veg ONLY IF the plants show deficiency.

Every hydro fertilizer has enough calcium and magnesium already in it, but some factors can make certain nutrients less available to the plant.

Are you growing in hydro and using tap water? If that's the case, you probably have too much calcium in your water. Too much calcium means magnesium isn't completely available to the plants and you may show mag deficiency. Some hydro fertilizer mixes have a "hard water" version with less calcium. The other solution to the tap water problem is to add more magnesium in the form of magnesium sulfate. But NO cal-mag-- you don't want any more calcium than you already have. Standard application rate for magnesium sulfate is 1 teaspoon or 4.5 grams per gallon. I would also do this for the entire length of the grow, seedling+ veg + flower.

Overall: you should only add calcium or magnesium if the plant is showing signs of deficiency. Common causes for magnesium deficiency are high pH and too much calcium. Calcium deficiencies can happen on their own, but whenevet you add calcium, you should always add magnesium, too.

Last edited:
Mr.X

Mr.X

Calmag + contains extra N, i would only use this in veg and early flowering. I think calimagic works better and after the 4th week of flowering i use mg sulphate in the form of epsom salts. I imagine your growing in coco, right? If so the coir will slowly release it back later. Good luck.

Top Bottom