More questions about watering in coco?

• Thread starter Rickcin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rickcin

Rickcin

I’m growing in coco with 30 % perlite and the pots are definitely moist on the day after watering so I continue to water but give them a small amount so I do get some runoff. I’m fertilizing every other day and using calmag & UC root treatment and adjusting the ph to 5.8.

Here are my questions;
Is it better to water every day even when moist or just give less water if moist while maintaining some runoff?
And
Im checking the PH in runoff water and it’s reading about 6.7, what’s up with that? Thanks

Happy 4th of July!

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

I’m growing in coco with 30 % perlite and the pots are definitely moist on the day after watering so I continue to water but give them a small amount so I do get some runoff. I’m fertilizing every other day and using calmag & UC root treatment and adjusting the ph to 5.8.

Here are my questions;
Is it better to water every day even when moist or just give less water if moist while maintaining some runoff?
And
Im checking the PH in runoff water and it’s reading about 6.7, what’s up with that? Thanks

Happy 4th of July!
Hello fellow farmer!!
I'm an avid coco grower and my suggestions would be:
For our veg plants we water every 2-4 days depending on how dry the substrate is. We use 3.5gallon or 5.5gallon airpots and have never run into any issues whatsoever with this process.
Regarding the pH at 6.7, do you check the pH prior to watering? If so, we typically like our pH for veg to be at around 6.0 before watering the plants.

Hope this helps!!

Rickcin

Rickcin

Hello fellow farmer!!
I'm an avid coco grower and my suggestions would be:
For our veg plants we water every 2-4 days depending on how dry the substrate is. We use 3.5gallon or 5.5gallon airpots and have never run into any issues whatsoever with this process.
Regarding the pH at 6.7, do you check the pH prior to watering? If so, we typically like our pH for veg to be at around 6.0 before watering the plants.

Hope this helps!!
I’ve been adjusting the ph in my watering to 5.8 since Im aware of the runoff being 6.8 but nothing has changed yet ! Thanks

RonnieB2nd

RonnieB2nd

Here are my questions;
And

Happy 4th of July!
I grow in coco loco, I don't know the perlite percentage, I think its 20% bu tI water mine every 3 days and I water on the light side. I've never had any wilting, drooping or yellowing leaves and huge root masses in my containers after the grows. I am at day 25'ish on my grow now and I just started giving them 2 liters in 5 gallon pots yesterday, and 1 liter in my 3 gallon. I will revisit in 3 days and repeat

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

I grow in coco loco, I don't know the perlite percentage, I think its 20% bu tI water mine every 3 days and I water on the light side. I've never had any wilting, drooping or yellowing leaves and huge root masses in my containers after the grows. I am at day 25'ish on my grow now and I just started giving them 2 liters in 5 gallon pots yesterday, and 1 liter in my 3 gallon. I will revisit in 3 days and repeat
Interesting. For our 3.5gallon pots, we water with a 1/2 gallon of water. For our 5.5gallon pots, we water with 1 gallon of water. Typically we need to water the 3.5gallon pots every 3 days. The 5.5gallon pots we water every other day, depending on how much the plant is drinking of course.

Rickcin

Rickcin

Meanwhile I’m coco with 30% perlite, 7 weeks out and my girls take 1.25 liter’s every day. Water with UC root treatment one day and then fertilized water the following day and my two girls are stunning ❗

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Meanwhile I’m coco with 30% perlite, 7 weeks out and my girls take 1.25 liter’s every day. Water with UC root treatment one day and then fertilized water the following day and my two girls are stunning ❗
Pics 👍 what pot size are you in?

RonnieB2nd

RonnieB2nd

Interesting. For our 3.5gallon pots, we water with a 1/2 gallon of water. For our 5.5gallon pots, we water with 1 gallon of water. Typically we need to water the 3.5gallon pots every 3 days. The 5.5gallon pots we water every other day, depending on how much the plant is drinking of course.
I'lll put my grows in the ring with anybody's, not saying that to sound boastful or badassery but to see if my theory is correct. I think plants in dryer medium spread out more, and grow more, and faster. I believe this means more nutrients uptake because there's more roots...I can't prove a word of this, but the last 10 days of my grow I cut my plant off from everything. How does a cannabis plant protect it self? Trichomes, right? If you trigger those responses just enough you can get lots of extras, I also water flowers slowly with ice water when in full flower

Rickcin

Rickcin

I'lll put my grows in the ring with anybody's, not saying that to sound boastful or badassery but to see if my theory is correct. I think plants in dryer medium spread out more, and grow more, and faster. I believe this means more nutrients uptake because there's more roots...I can't prove a word of this, but the last 10 days of my grow I cut my plant off from everything. How does a cannabis plant protect it self? Trichomes, right? If you trigger those responses just enough you can get lots of extras, I also water flowers slowly with ice water when in full flower
You could be right by saying if I water less my plants might do better, however I’m only growing two so there is no way for me to experiment.

I thought the basic rule for growing in coco/perlite was to come with 20% +/- of runoff and I’ve been watering everyday until I get some runoff. Perhaps not 20% but something!

tbd100

tbd100

I thought the basic rule for growing in coco/perlite was to come with 20% +/- of runoff and I’ve been watering everyday until I get some runoff. Perhaps not 20% but something!
Yes, it is. Coco is hydro. It's just nuted water passing through an inert media that is woven with hungry roots. Keep doing what you are doing.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'll do a side by side with ya. I'll keep my media 90% saturated at all times. Not sure of your timeline but I should be ready in about 3-4 weeks.

DanC520

DanC520

Not to try change anyone's mind. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That said, I've had success with high frequency fertigation which is what Aqua Man's often referenced post is about. Here is a non forum style type explanation (or additional external support).

Top Bottom