Motha Fukin Gnat Larvae ?

• Thread starter bongzaway
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bongzaway

bongzaway

I started a shit load of seeds ...in paper towels...grew tails...put in soil. NO pop. Fuck !

so goddamm dug in the soil and found motha fukin tiny white worms eating the tap roots and eating the inside of the seeds. Tiny little squiggly fukers all over the seeds. At first I thought it was some weird type of roots growing but once i saw the fuckers wiggling,, I flipped my bonnet. WTF ! Fungnus gnat larvae. The seeds are toast. I had a first batch planted from the same soil 2 weeks ago..some seedlings are thriving but most are not....acting like they are overwatered but not. I suspect these are infected or soon wil be.

So..i think everything Ive grown out could be infested and the seeds that got eaten are fucking wasted. A shitload of money down the drain and I hope to save the others.

What soil you ask ? Light Warrior (Fox makes it) but I used their fuckin soil for years and never a prob ( been growing 15 years or so). I'm fukin smokin pissed. I've heard of guys heating their soil in ovens to kill shit like this but I;ve never done. I will now.

I've battled a lot of bugs and stuff over the years but this is a first. I lost some high dollar strains. My treatment options for the survivors are hydrogen peroxide drenching of the soil ( 1 part HP to 4 parts water)
I'll try and get some DE in the solo cups and pack sand on top (1/2 layer) to keep mature gnats from getting out. No signs of any mature gnats flying around. just tiny motha fucking worms eating my seeds and fresh roots of others.

Anyone ever find these attacking their seeds ? What methods did you use to get rid of them and keep em from coming back ?

for the fukin record..this thread aint bashing Warrior starter soil cuz from what I've read and heard every commercial soil has fuking bugs in them..ya just roll the dice. I been using this soil for the past 5-6 years or so and never had any probs. Cook your soil guys or get burned !

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Always soil drench prior to planting, with BTi then a layer of DE You can also use tanglefoot at the base of your stalks to keep the crawlers from reaching the canopy. Sticky traps for the flyers.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Bagged soil is typically kept in garden areas ( with high pest pops) and when stored long term they become a haven for hitch hikers as the bags have air holes and they can gain access via the breathing holes in the bags. Even during the processing of the raw materials prior to bagging can introduce all sorts of nasties!!!

m8ty

m8ty

Man I can feel your pain, is how I felt when I found out I had gnat larva in my rootballs, I thought I was over feeding, under feeding, thought the pH was off, turned out to be gnat damage in the rootball.

So what I did at first was to use BTi to battle w/ some success, but they would always come back because this area has a heavy gnat population and them tiny fucks always find the soil. After a while I covered the pots with pantyhose and that help keep the gnats from outside from getting in the rootballs, but I would find gnats that came in the soil bags thriving under the pantyhose

So I decided to stop using soil and started using perlite and vermiculite instead of potting soil mix and the gnat problem was solved, no more gnats, they freaking hate the stuff, no more gnats living rent free, basking in the light, feasting on my roots like it was a free Chinese buffet. And you can use perlite right in the potting containers, or like me you can use hempy buckets, they work great.

bongzaway

bongzaway

thanks peeps ! fuckin a..is always something. but yeah from now on, i'll treat soil beforehand. lesson learned huh?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
As always a ounce of prevention is worth a pound o bud!!! Way easier to keep them out from the beginning rather than go to war later!!!!

bongzaway

bongzaway

thanks all..still in shock and pissed. lol. these were for my outdoor grow (organic/soil) so im scrambling for options. sometimes i prefer to just start the fuck over..maybe find some clones but shit most clones from peeps are too risky..thats why i dig starting from seed. but time is of the essance.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
thanks all..still in shock and pissed. lol. these were for my outdoor grow (organic/soil) so im scrambling for options. sometimes i prefer to just start the fuck over..maybe find some clones but shit most clones from peeps are too risky..thats why i dig starting from seed. but time is of the essance.
Hey now don;'t get too discouraged. You can go with clones for making up some lost time, but with that said yes it is risky taking on someone else's snips, but just be sure to quarantine and treat as if they are infested even if you don't spot anything with nekked eye or scope. :eyepiece: Never can be too safe taking on snips from outside your grow. Do this and you should be golden..........

Northern LED

Northern LED

I started a shit load of seeds ...in paper towels...grew tails...put in soil. NO pop. Fuck !

I have been having a battle with these little bastards, I've tried cinnamon , Diatomaous earth, Hydrogen peroxide,sand, nematodes and garlic...oh and lots of sticky yellow and blue bug catchers ....I think the garlic (5 0r more cloves) whizzed up in a nutribullitt and water down into 2x 5 litre containers worked amazingly well ,I only water from the bottom of the pot so the top stays dry to discourage them laying there eggs with a healthy layer of DE has got rid of most of them , I'm going over to hydro to see if this gets rid of them.
I'm just hoping my bud doesn't taste of garlic !!

so goddamm dug in the soil and found motha fukin tiny white worms eating the tap roots and eating the inside of the seeds. Tiny little squiggly fukers all over the seeds. At first I thought it was some weird type of roots growing but once i saw the fuckers wiggling,, I flipped my bonnet. WTF ! Fungnus gnat larvae. The seeds are toast. I had a first batch planted from the same soil 2 weeks ago..some seedlings are thriving but most are not....acting like they are overwatered but not. I suspect these are infected or soon wil be.

So..i think everything Ive grown out could be infested and the seeds that got eaten are fucking wasted. A shitload of money down the drain and I hope to save the others.

What soil you ask ? Light Warrior (Fox makes it) but I used their fuckin soil for years and never a prob ( been growing 15 years or so). I'm fukin smokin pissed. I've heard of guys heating their soil in ovens to kill shit like this but I;ve never done. I will now.

I've battled a lot of bugs and stuff over the years but this is a first. I lost some high dollar strains. My treatment options for the survivors are hydrogen peroxide drenching of the soil ( 1 part HP to 4 parts water)
I'll try and get some DE in the solo cups and pack sand on top (1/2 layer) to keep mature gnats from getting out. No signs of any mature gnats flying around. just tiny motha fucking worms eating my seeds and fresh roots of others.

Anyone ever find these attacking their seeds ? What methods did you use to get rid of them and keep em from coming back ?

for the fukin record..this thread aint bashing Warrior starter soil cuz from what I've read and heard every commercial soil has fuking bugs in them..ya just roll the dice. I been using this soil for the past 5-6 years or so and never had any probs. Cook your soil guys or get burned !

Homesteader

Homesteader

I like to start my seedlings in a peat and rice hull 1:1 mix. This gets my plants up safe without biology and then can go in a mix after a week from sprout give or take.

Top Bottom