Mother buck

• Thread starter jack the reaper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jack the reaper

hey ya'll!
im starting to plan a mother/nursery/veg system, does anybody have any good links or ideas? i thought i remembered somebody had a really sweet mom setup but i couldnt find it on here.

point me in the right direction if you can please.
thanx, jr

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
I have some pics of my new mom set up in the hydro section, The growth is insane in the buckets...After 3 weeks they have passed up my plants in COCO that are 2 months old, Both are under Magnum XXL 1000 watters..JACK

J

jack the reaper

for a warehouse?:itwasntme

not for a warehouse.
i need to produce 11 vegged, and i can have a max 19.
overnight i conceptionalized a 4'x8' setup that i think will do nicely. it will hold 18. this would allow me to maintain an extra 7 plants to take cuts from.

a critical feature for me is the ability to run topfeed with drippers till they have roots coming out the bottom of the netpot. then i would like to switch to the dwc mini system AT THE SAME SITE--- and "i think" i got it figured out. more in the weeks to come...

meanwhile...
JACK- on my way to find your thread, "hydro" section you say?
post a link on here to make it easy for your mpb buddies to find your mother buck system please.

and now that you all have a little better idea of what the parameters are, feel free to throw out some ideas, i need all the food for thought i can get!

cheers,
jr

E

easypleasie

Hey jtr, a system similar to mine will fit the bill as far as vegging clones the way you're wanting. Just a bunch of 5 gallon veg buckets on a tray with a drain to a res. It switches from top feed only to top feed/rdwc just by plugging up holes at the bottom of the bucket. Definitely 1ks in magnum xxxls ...those things kick ass!

As far as mothers, I keep mine in coco for the simplicity. Also cause I don't need them to grow super fast. Still new to hydro so I don't yet trust myself to have my moms in hydro. I might experiment with a cutting. I only take 8 or 9 cuttings each run and keep the best 5 for the mpb room, so keeping the moms small work better for me. lol if I was running hydro for moms, I think they would get too big! My 8" cutting shot up to 34" in 17 days...over 4 feet in a month! Ideal if you need tons of clones, though.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

As far as mothers, I keep mine in coco for the simplicity. Also cause I don't need them to grow super fast. Still new to hydro so I don't yet trust myself to have my moms in hydro. I might experiment with a cutting. I only take 8 or 9 cuttings each run and keep the best 5 for the mpb room, so keeping the moms small work better for me. lol if I was running hydro for moms, I think they would get too big! My 8" cutting shot up to 34" in 17 days...over 4 feet in a month! Ideal if you need tons of clones, though.

Not that I know shit from first hand MPB experience yet, but that was exactly what I was thinking. :pimp:

For feeding a small setup, I can't see how I could keep up with a MPB momma running at top fuel speed. The amount of clones generated would be unfathomable. Besides, I would think that you would also eventually rotate to new moms sooner than later, or root prune, just to keep a good flow in the tubs, due to root growth in an elongated growth period in the tub.

I wonder if you pulled back on the nutes and lighting intensity, could you slow her down enough to just to supply a small setup?:thinking

J

jack the reaper

well, i only need 11 starters, the way i see it is i can keep 18 spaces full with 11 of the same variety, the mom (easy to get 20 clones off of one mom in a "supercharged" setup) and have space for another mom for backup and a couple other varieties to experiment with.

i have run moms in the past in a similar setup and it only takes 400 watts to have vigorous growth per 8 plants. my setup had 4x400 over 32 sites in a 8x8foot footprint. the moms grew like gangbusters on very little nutes, sometimes pure h2o, a 16 hour day and i would have to prune between cuttings of clones or they would get too crazy. i also rootpruned to keep the system clean AND inhibit growth.

i plan to illuminate with a pair of xxl magnums and 1K blues. i want to be able to control zone lighting (1/2 table at a time) and i also want to be able to get super vigorous growth as the plants get ready to move into the main room.

moms can be pruned, trained, and transfered out to flower on a regular basis and replaced with a clone to become the new mom, no problem there. i have read in the past about a phenomena wherein the repeated taking of clones from clones from clones results in a weaker plant, but that is not my experience. my sensi Hashplant seemed to get stronger and stronger as the years went by, granted my skills have been improveing, but i cant say i notice a decline when cloneing clones.

so now in this MPB thread we are focusing on miniaturizing and slowing down the growth rate as opposed to supersizing and supercharging i guess.

i like the ability to do a drip topfeed, mpb and flood/drain in ONE system, that might be helpful in slightly retarding the growth.

i still think i would rather idle along at a moderate pace and if the plants got too big then just cut them to the size i like and plug them into the flowering bins.

C

CAPO

A quick word before I politely bow out of your thread as I'm not experienced in MPB or UnderCurrent systems. I also aspire to rock some tree in a set-up like Jack's someday. Following along on a lot of these type grows I've come to realize that the consensus of top feed drip is pretty much the same. I have seen some with fried up plants trying to get the roots to drop from the baskets in vain without topfeed. The pros on the other hand seem to be selling the idea that top feed trains your roots to become ropey and the optimal way is to rise your water level with bucket adjusting. Of course I am not certain if this would hinder such a veg garden as yours, being you may only have them in the system to drop roots.

J

jack the reaper

i guess to me it appears that when the plant drops roots from a 10L mesh basket it is saying "im ready for the next level" which would be the water level raised to the bottom of the mesh basket.

i am not sure yet if i want to veg in the 3 gals or 5 gals, but i might lean towards the 3 gals just because i want to minimize water used, nutes, etc. i have grown MONSTERS in about 1/2 gal of space before. the 3 gal buckets would hold about 1 gal in MPB mode, i imagine the 5 gal bucks would hold about 3 gal of solution in mpb mode. . .

so, yes, the goal is to get her to drop roots, then build a solid root mass that i can transfer into the system. i will have 8 to 10 weeks to go from cutting to flower room. that should be plenty of time.

2 weeks clone time
2 weeks to drop roots
4-6 weeks veg/ train

Top Bottom