Mother nature’s curve ball

• Thread starter BoboGrower0813
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BoboGrower0813

Mother nature threw me a curve ball last night. It snowed.

The covering of white stuff made the nighttime hours light up almost as bright as daytime on a cloudy day. And the plants growing in my greenhouse were exposed, and will continue to be exposed to these excessive light levels during their 12 hour dark period until the snow melts, probably at least a week down the road. They are in their last few weeks of flowering.

Does anybody have any experience or feedback about this situation? It is virtually impossible to keep the light out of the greenhouse and off the plants. Any suggestions, or is it already too late, the damage is done.

I know the plants can deal with light levels the equivalent of a full moon, but this seems brighter than that, and it is not something the plants would experience in a natural setting growing outdoors, as they wouldn’t be trying to survive a January snowstorm. Any ideas?

B

BoboGrower0813

flamethrower to the snow.

curtains

fire

?
Too much snow to torch, and besides I don’t have a flamethrower.

Thought of draping a curtain to block off the side of the greenhouse that the plants are growing, but that would also block their heat, the source of which is on the other side of the greenhouse.

Fire. Same problem as with flame thrower.

so I am still at the ?.
At this point, if it’s going to screw things up, it already has. And any moonlight is going to be accentuated and amplified by the snow cover. Snow ain’t going anywhere as temps are forecast to be below freezing for the for seeable week.

My original question was just wondering if that amplified light would be enough to disrupt the 1212 cycle.
So I guess no one has ever come across such a scenario?

Observationist

Observationist

Too much snow to torch, and besides I don’t have a flamethrower.

Thought of draping a curtain to block off the side of the greenhouse that the plants are growing, but that would also block their heat, the source of which is on the other side of the greenhouse.

Fire. Same problem as with flame thrower.

so I am still at the ?.
At this point, if it’s going to screw things up, it already has. And any moonlight is going to be accentuated and amplified by the snow cover. Snow ain’t going anywhere as temps are forecast to be below freezing for the for seeable week.

My original question was just wondering if that amplified light would be enough to disrupt the 1212 cycle.
So I guess no one has ever come across such a scenario?
sorry man =(

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Sounds like lux makes a difference. Sunlight equals 32,000 lux. Full moon equals approximately .05 lux. I’m guessing you will be OK. The operative word here is guessing! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

B

BoboGrower0813

Sounds like lux makes a difference. Sunlight equals 32,000 lux. Full moon equals approximately .05 lux. I’m guessing you will be OK. The operative word here is guessing! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks for the scientific data. Helps put my mind at ease. But I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and so far I see no ill affects. (I’ll try to put a picture of a Bud below).

But I’ve got some hearty plants here, as they have had to sustain temperature fluctuations from 60° at night up to 85° during the day at times. Growing in a small greenhouse on Long Island in the winter is no easy task, and I am flying by the seat of my pants learning as I go.
DC4460AE BBD2 45D7 A669 BDA2928B32F3

CB562B5B 1513 4B9E A83A 30CE407690F9

Coming down the homestretch now, It’s been quite a battle, but also a great adventure and learning experience, as this is my first grow, legal or otherwise.

And I do appreciate all the feedback and help I’ve been getting from where you guys.