Mother plant vs. Cuttings..

• Thread starter Skunkenstein
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Skunkenstein

Good friend of mine has been constantly turning over his Mothers..Or should I say, ''Has never maintained Mother plants''.It's always clone from clone from clone..He is about 13-14 generations down from the Original seed Mother.He now thinks the cuttings are not producing as well..So the question is..In a perfect world ''Should one, Maintain and take cuts from one mother plant..or just keep on a Clonin..All opinions and Ideas welcome.

F

frankie-smiles

Yeah, i've heard people say that a cutting of a cutting of a cutting etc eventually takes the vigor away from the plant. One of my on-line pal's swears he gets much more vigor when he uses the original seed plant as the mother, all clones get taken from the 1st gen seed mother and he says his clones root faster and grow stronger than others. Sounds like your mate is experiencing what my friend did many moons ago, this is what changed his method to what i mentioned above.

T

Tolpan

In the business I work, we think that the cuts should be from the same quality than their mums, so theoretically it shouldn't make a difference!

But from my own and the experiences from my growmentor, the original seedplant is best!

Tolpan

CBF

CBF

Supporter
never noticed a difference myself, i clone off a clone, dont maintain mothers per say, do let the cuts get pretty big before takin a replacement and flowerin the plant.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Try and stick as close to the seed plant as poss. Then the most vigor will be realised.

Z

zoochory

I've never seen vigour been lost due to taking clones of clones...

Never seen any science backing it up either...

I think it was clarke and skunkman that tried to find something to back it up, but they never did...?

O

Otto

Isnt sub the one who says that some plants wont reach there full potential till after a couple generations of clones, yea he did about the Void and a few others. Ive got a chocolate trip thats already on its 5th ot 6th generation and its growing with more vigor than it ever did at first...

-Otto

T

Thick Smoke

i was always told to keep the mother from earliest gen possible. however i am on my 3rd gen with papaya and havent noticed a diff yet.

i will say in my expierence seed plants have the most vigor

M

Mr Green

i stay as close to the seed plant as possable.. although my buddy takes clone after clone and i dont think i have ever heard him speak of lose of vigor..

F

foreverherb

Well I do it like this and have been doing for like 12 times. The plants have gotten better everytime for me so don't think it matters.

U

ukcheesefiend

The idea of evolution is that the 'freaks' either die or become stronger than the original, clones are exact copies genetically, and anomolies are less likely to happen. Therefore it would make sense to crack a few beans and pick the 'freak' of a plant with massive buds to clone.

If you take cuttings from a side branch though, do you get the same resulting plant as if you took the cutting from the main stem of a plant grown from seed?

If anyone understands this question, let alone answers it, I will be surprised.

CBF

CBF

Supporter
If you take cuttings from a side branch though, do you get the same resulting plant as if you took the cutting from the main stem of a plant grown from seed?

If anyone understands this question, let alone answers it, I will be surprised.

its the samo samo, ive never seen a diff from a mature side branch and a top.

i mean if your keepin a mother and pullin cuts from her, its pretty much all side branchin.

another point is when ya grow seeds, and clone the best, most times a guy hasnt grown the plant in veg very long before clonein it, it gets more time to mature growin as a clone, so should fair better then the seed plant.

each time its cloned, it ages, gets older and older, and in my mind mature/aged. resulting in a stronger plant. there are cuts about that are 20+ yrs old and dont suffer loss of vigor, they still grow great, big buds, bushy and finish in the same time they did when first cloned.

i think the only thing thats gonna mess up a cut is disease or maybe a bad pest infestation, but if the cut is cared for and stays healthy all its life, you wouldnt have a problem.

F

FastForward

From what I've been told and read, it depends on a load of factors - but if vigor is going to be lost it's likely over years, not months. I have a friend who has been growing clone to clone for 3 years and he reports no loss in vigor or strength...

Krypto

Krypto

I think fast forwards got it in the bottle pretty much. I really don't think it makes that big of an impact... For me it was an easy decision to make due to space restrictions. But once I have the room I'm sure I'll be mothering out some nice big ladies :-)

dankninja

dankninja

I have monstercropped cuts of cuts and only then noticed some loss of vigor and overall health. It did occur more rapidly then I expected, glad I crossed her before I mc'ed her

bluntmassa

bluntmassa

A couple months of the great halide in the sky will help with vigour loss from cloning. That full spectrum of the sun will restore vigour. I first heard this method from Shantibaba and since have seen other breeders confirm as well as having no problems with my own mothers.

Top Bottom