mother plants in coco

• Thread starter minster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

minster

Hi all

Is it true you cannot keep mother plants in coco? If so, why?

Thanks

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
OHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO :confused0054: I got like 30 moms in Coco, all the prized genetics in Colorado.... I better go transplant, stat!!!! :)

Obviously, I am joking! The one drawback to moms in coco is they grow too fast! Other than that it's perfect for all plants, my wife scoops up my old used coco for the house plants, they love it too!

JPLord01

JPLord01

My moms are in coco in 7gl smart pots under a t5 I just have 2 moms that all I need.
My moms are from seed.

I

itsdadie

Moms in Coco are just fine as always with any plant just periodically flush them and its easy to transfer up in gal sizes. As Bud spleefman said they do grow fastly but just stay on top of them.

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

The one drawback to moms in coco is they grow too fast!
:)

Moms in 1 gallon pots, atami coco:
122395d1294179692-motas-g13bx-ccs-cvk-og-chemdog-sour-diesel-cinx-planewreck-more-img_6588.jpg.att

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if your trying to keep small bonsai moms dirt might be a little better, maybe less maintenance/watering

but theres nothing wrong wth coco

M

minster

thanks all.....great to see the THCFarmer community getting it right...type in 'mother plants in coco' in google UK and the first result you get is from probably the largest UK hydro shop and states

" The only medium you can’t use for growing your mother plant is coco, as after approx 6-8 weeks, your plants will no longer be able to take nutrient via this medium as it “locks out” essential parts of your nutrient after this point."

think we should send them a forum invite!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
OHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO :confused0054: I got like 30 moms in Coco, all the prized genetics in Colorado.... I better go transplant, stat!!!! :)

Obviously, I am joking! The one drawback to moms in coco is they grow too fast! Other than that it's perfect for all plants, my wife scoops up my old used coco for the house plants, they love it too!
That can be a major drawback. What I do now is I let the mother grow til I can get lots of cuts from her, then take them, get them going, take the best one and that new cutting becomes the mother. Old Mother then gets composted. I won't do that until I know I have one or two that are able to replace her.

thanks all.....great to see the THCFarmer community getting it right...type in 'mother plants in coco' in google UK and the first result you get is from probably the largest UK hydro shop and states

" The only medium you can’t use for growing your mother plant is coco, as after approx 6-8 weeks, your plants will no longer be able to take nutrient via this medium as it “locks out” essential parts of your nutrient after this point."

<sigh> We should send them something, and include a kick in the pants for fomenting bad information. We promulgate good information! They foment bad.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU

I have kept a mom over 2 years. They may follow the train of thought that coco MUST be fed at every watering. Also not true.

Other than the farm.

You want facts, use google to search the commercial Agriculture industry.
Not some hobby dro shop.

If I listened to the dro shop, I would still be ebb and flowing in rockwool.

coco uses less nutes
can be reused
wastes less water
performs better

few reasons some dro shops DO NOT want you to use coco. They may make less $$ from you.

Not always the case....

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
man if that (6-8 weeks) were the case you wouldnt be able to even finish one grow in coco

there are even people who reuse coco

edit - I see lead covered that already lol

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i have just started putting my moms in coco they grow very fast quick. seems the day after you take cuttings it looks like you could have teken more its a trip. i feed PBP grow and GO cal-mag and ph down

W

waywardson

I too have been one to keep me mums in coco. I like to keep them small and very bushy under T5s.

But it takes some work. It is very hard to keep them really healthy without them growing way faster than I would like. I would end up trimming them a couple of times a week. Plus, in the small pots I like they will get rootbound...when that happens watering them starts to take longer and longer...and good luck getting the coco off the roots so you can trim the roots back.

I am in the process of switching all of my moms over to ProMix HP. Growth slows down to what seems like a crawl compared to coco and maintenance becomes maybe 1/3 of what it was.

The thing I do not know yet is what will happen to me pH once the limestone is used up. I am hoping I will be able to see it coming and be able to repot them in fresh PM before I have full blown micro nute toxicity on my hands.

You buy your ticket and you take the ride though. Give me 6 months or so and I will be able to tell you which ride I enjoy mostest. In the meantime I will be keeping backups in coco of the ones I really do not want to lose.

Top Bottom