Mothering

• Thread starter OrganicLit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OrganicLit

OrganicLit

Ive been growing for a few years with a living soil method and I've only grown from seed. Ive done some research on cloning and I'm confident but I would like a word from the community on the best way to long veg a plant and keep it fed consistently. Liquid nutes? Or maybe cook up a new soil ammended with long release N in a big pot?

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

What I do-and I know it's not perfect but it's the only way I can keep the amount of mothers I have- I just constantly reset my mother's once they get big enough to bloom (which isn't too big in my grow) and i,v got what cuts I want off it I bloom the mom and keep one of the rooted clones I took from it so keeping moms long term in one pot isn't really an issue..but that ain't living soil though.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Ive been growing for a few years with a living soil method and I've only grown from seed. Ive done some research on cloning and I'm confident but I would like a word from the community on the best way to long veg a plant and keep it fed consistently. Liquid nutes? Or maybe cook up a new soil ammended with long release N in a big pot?
Most living soil growers feed with top dressing and let the living soil do the rest.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
What I do-and I know it's not perfect but it's the only way I can keep the amount of mothers I have- I just constantly reset my mother's once they get big enough to bloom (which isn't too big in my grow) and i,v got what cuts I want off it I bloom the mom and keep one of the rooted clones I took from it so keeping moms long term in one pot isn't really an issue..but that ain't living soil though.

Same here. It’s just easier that way. Plus as they grow space becomes an issue so by rotating out the moms you can keep them from taking over your space without stressing them out too much.

New school

New school

I grow hydro not living soil. I don't keep moms just clones of clones. I'll start from seed and before flip I'll take my clones even extras then pick the best. Repeat

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Same here. It’s just easier that way. Plus as they grow space becomes an issue so by rotating out the moms you can keep them from taking over your space without stressing them out too much.
Exactly.one thing I have to watch out for is sometimes one or two of my clones root, but not as well as the others and they look ok plenty of roots but just not as good as the others and they lack a bit of vigour compared to the well rooted ones.i always use those less vigorous ones to bloom and keep the very best rooted and most vigorous clone as the mom.i think that's all that genetic drift nonsense is, basically people just keeping the clones that havnt rooted so well as moms.wen I grow out the ones that didn't root as well even when potted up and given time to grow more roots they never have the vigour of the best rooted ones.i think that's how these cuts that have lost vigour over time is happening.it isn't any genetic drift or whatever they call it.well that's my opinion anyway.my two bobs worth.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Long term keeping up a mother plant I do in soil with nutrients. Getting a plant to a mother point is different for every Farmer that keeps a mother that can produce offspring that will be viable to a point. I generally keep mother plant to the point that the genetics allows. Some good some bad it all depends on the strain. But in general there is a road you can discover to produce a mother plant that you will be satisfied with to produce the best offspring that can be produced.

Top Bottom