Mountain/Trail bike advice

• Thread starter Mississip Hip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Is this the right place for this?...lol...

somebody will move it if it aint.:confused:

I am wanting to get into some trail riding with my wife. We are 40 years old and wont be doing any downhill craziness. We have some nice rocky gravel trails in a huge park close by....miles and miles. But we will stick to the "prolly wont fuck our shit up" trails.

So, there are so many choice and I dont have a clue. I cant afford a 2 0r 3 thousand dollar bike. Fuck...until I started looking, I had no idea you could spend 10k on a bicycle. :eek:

It looks like front suspension is what I can afford, and the 29er's "say" they are easier to ride.

Anybody have any words of advice? Thanks homies.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
trek ..gt..giant....are the best
imo i would go with a trek...you will get the best bang for your buck...should b able to get a good trek for under a grand

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

How important is getting fitted?

I am thinking I need some help since I haven't had a bike since I was a kid.

But I see these DEALS on craigslist. I am a little scared of buying a problem though. I dont wanna buy a stolen bike either. Thats the last shit I need.

What do I look for as far as the bike fitting me?

Thanks

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
whats most important is that your nimble on the trail...if the bike is to tall you cant mannoover around as good...be anal about checking over the bike before you buy one off craigs list..hop on it and see if it flows though the gears,,no humpty bumps in the rims..flat spots..breaks should b smooth and not all squeeky..suspension shouldnt bottom out

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
How important is getting fitted?

I am thinking I need some help since I haven't had a bike since I was a kid.

But I see these DEALS on craigslist. I am a little scared of buying a problem though. I dont wanna buy a stolen bike either. Thats the last shit I need.

What do I look for as far as the bike fitting me?

Thanks

I'd just go into a bike shop tell them you are looking for you and your wife and ride lots of bikes and ask lots of questions, taking things with a grain of salt cuz they want to sell you something. I got a really good deal on a Specialized Carbon Fiber bike a few years back, should last me forever.

As far as a fitting, there are sizing guides on line. A proper bike fitting take about 90 minutes and costs 150-200 and every aspect of the bike is tweaked for your body and riding style. This is not usually done for lower end bikes.

Climbing is a bitch!

outwest

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
I'd just go into a bike shop tell them you are looking for you and your wife and ride lots of bikes and ask lots of questions, taking things with a grain of salt cuz they want to sell you something. I got a really good deal on a Specialized Carbon Fiber bike a few years back, should last me forever.

As far as a fitting, there are sizing guides on line. A proper bike fitting take about 90 minutes and costs 150-200 and every aspect of the bike is tweaked for your body and riding style. This is not usually done for lower end bikes.

Climbing is a bitch!

outwest
wow i forgot that one....carbon fiber is sick...

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

hehe...now I feel a little dumb..

I though it was as simple as trying on shoes...I didn't know "fitting" was an deal like that. Although, that makes sense. I was like.....shit, I can adjust the seat, what else is there.

I just need an entry level bike...good to know there isn't a true "fitting" involved at that level. I was kinda thinking....I dont even know what to tell the guy when he says, "that feel ok?". Hell....I wouldn't know!...lol

darkmatter

darkmatter

look at performance bike online they have bill me later payment option just take your time before you buy even go to the local shop and figure out exactly what size bike your gonna need. performance i think at times has free shipping on completes.

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

I worked at a mtb shop for quite a whiles I like specialized and Scott . Another great and cheap company for entry level mtbs is Jamis. Jamis is going to prolly have exactly what your looking for and they won't break the bank(full suspension and hard tails). Jamis stands behind there product well if you ever have an issue they allways worked with me and made the consumer happy. Trek at entry level is a rip off they do make very good high quality bikes but they make most of there money off of people paying too much for there stickers on an entry level.

Also if your going hard tail try to find one with at least carbon fiber seat stays(the rear frame were it meets the real wheel and seatpost). Carbon dampens, alumninum is very rigid. It's a much smoother riding bike with the half carbon frame much nicer on the knees. Full carbon is amazing but big $$$

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

look at performance bike online they have bill me later payment option just take your time before you buy even go to the local shop and figure out exactly what size bike your gonna need. performance i think at times has free shipping on completes.

Talk to your local shops!!!! They can usually match any online price sometimes beat it if your willing to take a previous year model. Ask them about close outs this is the time to buy and when company's offer the shops discounted bikes to get them out of the warehouses. Plus help the little guys out.... unless Its a huge shop bicycle shop owners are usually just bicycle junkies not making a whole lot.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Any thoughts on Raliegh bikes?

There is only one bike shop here and thats what the guy told me he would recommend

Looking at a hardtail 29er, top of the line aluminum frame bike for these Raliegh. Right at a grand.

He was selling them pretty hard and they look nice.

What do you guys think about that brand?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I mean you don't need to get this bike here HIP:

But this is way cheap and would work if you are just doing light trail riding, just an example but look at this:

raliegh is the miracle gro of bikes...along with murray and the like...

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Thanks man...great stuff.

I might not be able to do what I want to. I really want to buy locally, just because I believe in supposrting local small businesses. This little bike shop has been here 18 years. I would like to deal with him...but I am not shooting myself in the foot either.

This is what he carries:

Diamond Back
Raleigh
Felt
Santa Cruz

Are any of them worth a shit?....lol....

TIA homies

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
diamond back is cheap and will work if your not smashing it, santa cruz is costly but really nice. Felt is road right? I don't know but a long time ago when I was deep into riding raleigh wasn't any good but maybe they are revamped and like a kia or newer ford...lol
Diamond back should have stuff for a good price, test ride a few that he has and see what feels good!
I agree, support local, and if you have issues and aren't good with adjusting gears and such they can do it up, usually a shop has a few free tune ups involved with a bike sale...

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

Cruz makes very nice mtbs diamond back and Raleigh are quality too. Baba g what happens to names like Raleigh and db is department stores bought rights to there names just like gt and a few others. Then they take there shitty department store bikes made in china and put the name on it. Diamond back has allways made high end bikes but stopped everything else as of a few years ago they were working to bring them back.

Really look at the components that's what makes the bike last. Frames unless given a whole lot of abuse are rarely going to break and when they do even the lowest bike company is going to offer you a replacement. The components tho they don't make and quality comes with the price tag. Check the shifters cranks and brakes and ask the employee what the difference is?

Things like sealed crank bearings are a plus they last much longer.
Pedals- plastic sucks and breaks easy
derailleurs- again plastic parts or just cheap looking more than likely will fail

And ride it if it feels good go with it. If it feels real bad don't. Look for things like smooth shifting, bar position and a good feeling saddle.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I am about 99% sure this is what I am gonna get..

Like I said....I have 4 brands to choose from if I am to buy locally, and that is very important to me.

Santa Cruz....jesus, they start at 2 grand for a comparably equipped bike

The guy that owns the shop has been there 19 years...he is super cool. I asked him what he would spend HIS money on and why. And I got some really good honest info, I believe.

He gave me a little history on Felt and its a cool company. The 2013 29ers are 'supposed' to be the jam. We shall see.....:)

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

That looks like a very good pick for sure. The specs look nice im not up to date on all the parts. with the cassette setup you can easily upgrade if you have an issue or want to swap gearing(more than likely you won't). Disk equipped and hydraulic so that's awesome. The bike looks pretty bomb proof for sure!! Enjoy it and beat her up it should be a fast trail bomber! I love hard tails you can climb Hills like a beast and you shit yourself bombing hills. Felt is top notch for sure!

Latest posts

Top Bottom