Movin' to cali in a couple of months.

• Thread starter haze89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

haze89

So I'm looking to move to norcal, livin' in ny wanna get out of the city. Any one have any info on how much I'm looking at to rent a 1-2 bed room apt? is it hard to find 215 friendly? is there possibly a 215 friendly directory or anything? Preferably small grow friendly. Any info at all would be appreciated.

EDIT: would also like to state I have legit medical reasons. Dont wanna look shady yanno. Fucked my arm, shoulder, and hand in a car accident.

southstreets

southstreets

if you go to craigslist they have houses or appt's for rent up in the humbolt area... and some of the ads on craigslist tell you if they are 215 friendly... south

B

Boots Sugarleaf

if you are just doing a bedroom grow or a small backyard grow you will be fine depending on the city/town you choose...contact city planners to make sure they haven't banned indoor or outdoor growing(some have, although in court they will get their asses handed to them)

you don't have to tell your landlord (yet, some towns are trying to make this a rule)

and due to insurance liability most landlords will say no if you ask, not because they are all dicks, but it can be a fire risk, mold risk, etc....

Plenty of good places, depends on what you need out of a town. 2 bedroom apartments north of the sac area go for anywhere from 600 to 1000 a month, you can get houses in orchard areas, 4 bedrooms or more for 1200 to 1500----I highly suggest a house if you plan to grow, you will want the extra room at some point

it all depends on the town, but like he said, craigslist is a great place to start looking to get a feel for the market

and getting your medical recommendation will be easy and legit with documented pain related issues from your current doctor, just bring your records with you for the pot doc

hope this helps

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
I can only speak about my area, Mendocino county. I wouldn't say it's a walk in the park to find a place, but certainly not impossible. If your only looking for an apt. you shouldn't have much of a problem. Now, if you were looking for a house in the country to do outdoor, that's getting really hard to find and the competition is tough. Best of luck!

bud good

bud good

find a place thats convient and got places you can walk to its ridiculous getting around with all the day time traffic i love cali but 1800 a month for a good apt pluss bills just not worth it to me you can the olde 300 roach fill studio in l.a.

C

concretedawg

haze you looking for a roomate? i was thinking the same thing? hit me up!!!

winta

winta

haze i hope u find something my dude! i just made a big move myself from the east coast not to cali though but west none the less :)

H

haze89

haze you looking for a roomate? i was thinking the same thing? hit me up!!!

Yo man, absolutely. I don't have a set date when I'll be heading out but a roommate would be great. I'll keep the offer in mind. PM anytime if you can find some good prices my man!

haze i hope u find something my dude! i just made a big move myself from the east coast not to cali though but west none the less :)

Thanks a lot man! Hope all is well by you.

I can only speak about my area, Mendocino county. I wouldn't say it's a walk in the park to find a place, but certainly not impossible. If your only looking for an apt. you shouldn't have much of a problem. Now, if you were looking for a house in the country to do outdoor, that's getting really hard to find and the competition is tough. Best of luck!

I'm looking for an apt (or small house). You're right though, although it would be a harder find, a good outdoor spot would be KILLERRRR. I can settle for a nice legal indoor grow though aha. Mendo is where I'm hoping to relocate (who isn't? haha) but realistically, any close or surrounding areas would be great as well.

if you are just doing a bedroom grow or a small backyard grow you will be fine depending on the city/town you choose...contact city planners to make sure they haven't banned indoor or outdoor growing(some have, although in court they will get their asses handed to them)

you don't have to tell your landlord (yet, some towns are trying to make this a rule)

and due to insurance liability most landlords will say no if you ask, not because they are all dicks, but it can be a fire risk, mold risk, etc....

Plenty of good places, depends on what you need out of a town. 2 bedroom apartments north of the sac area go for anywhere from 600 to 1000 a month, you can get houses in orchard areas, 4 bedrooms or more for 1200 to 1500----I highly suggest a house if you plan to grow, you will want the extra room at some point

it all depends on the town, but like he said, craigslist is a great place to start looking to get a feel for the market

and getting your medical recommendation will be easy and legit with documented pain related issues from your current doctor, just bring your records with you for the pot doc

hope this helps

Yeah dude, I completely understand the whole insurance issue, very true. Although I could just go for the grow with out a landlords permission, I'd feel much better having their blessing to grow. Let's just hope I can find a nice hippie couple who own a private apt/small house hahaha

M

mrdizzle

depends what your plan is. I wouldnt move too up north. Unless you dont plan on selling your stuff, but you will kinda have to becasue there is no work up north. You could find a apartment in or near a big city and throw a 600wer up and work and smoke, maybe make a little cash on the side, I stress the word little. If your planning on moving out and makin loot then you have to go big.

H

haze89

Yeah, I dont mind commuting to work. I've been commuting 3 hours daily for 3 years so i'm used to it. I actually didn't plan on selling to much bud. (and if I do it wouldn't be illegally.) The reason I'm leaving NY is to be as legitimate (medically) as possible. I have thought about becoming a caregiver (on the side) but yanno, gotta get there before I start thinking about that haha.

B

Boots Sugarleaf

most people misunderstand the caregiver part of 215, unless you plan to be a home health aide. it is pretty specific.....

H

haze89

most people misunderstand the caregiver part of 215, unless you plan to be a home health aide. it is pretty specific.....

I'll do some research tonight on 215. To be completely honest, I just want to grow my own medicine. I don't care about selling weed, or working in a dispensary. Just looking to have a place to live and smoke freely.

B

Budhog

I live in Cali and let me say that ALL ARE WELCOME. It is a big state and there is plenty of room. My Wife and I did it 2 years ago and it was the best move we ever made.

That being said, let me give you a few of our experiences.

Housing - There are great deals to be had all over Cali. The housing bubble burst here harder than anywhere else (maybe Florida?). So there are deals to be had. If you are renting (especially larger houses in the country - we pay $950 pm for a 2000 sf house with 20 acres), you WILL have a difficult time getting a place if you don't have a job. Most landlords are afraid to rent to you if they know you grow weed because frankly, a lot of growers trash the house. They cut holes in shit and mold gets everywhere. They fuck up the electricity and it is generally not a good deal for the landlord. "I grow pot" is NOT an acceptable "source of income". They want you to be able to prove your income. 95% of landlords will not rent to you without a job/steady source of income.

You will need at least a years (you could prolly get by with 6 months) worth of steady income to see you through. I dunno, maybe it took me longer to get it, but I didn't put out the quality until after a few grows. Unless you already got shit dialed in, don't expect to get a big haul 8 weeks after you move. I had quite a bit experience already, but the only to make $$ is to grow BOMB.

If you are not moving any grow equipment out here, don't worry. Craigslist is FULL of people selling their equipment. A lot of people come out here without shit and go down in flames and end up homeless. If you can truly afford to move out here (meaning you have a verifiable source of income for the LL and can pay your way through more than the first 3 months if your crop gets ripped, spider-mited, Timer failured, powdery mildewed, earthquaked, flooded, burnt - you get the idea, a lot of shit can go wrong)

If you can do that come on out. Otherwise, I would wait until I could do all of that before I would risk it.

2 cents from someone who is there

H

haze89

I live in Cali and let me say that ALL ARE WELCOME. It is a big state and there is plenty of room. My Wife and I did it 2 years ago and it was the best move we ever made.

Housing - There are great deals to be had all over Cali. The housing bubble burst here harder than anywhere else (maybe Florida?). So there are deals to be had. If you are renting (especially larger houses in the country - we pay $950 pm for a 2000 sf house with 20 acres), you WILL have a difficult time getting a place if you don't have a job. Most landlords are afraid to rent to you if they know you grow weed because frankly, a lot of growers trash the house. They cut holes in shit and mold gets everywhere. They fuck up the electricity and it is generally not a good deal for the landlord. "I grow pot" is NOT an acceptable "source of income". They want you to be able to prove your income. 95% of landlords will not rent to you without a job/steady source of income.

You will need at least a years (you could prolly get by with 6 months) worth of steady income to see you through. I dunno, maybe it took me longer to get it, but I didn't put out the quality until after a few grows. Unless you already got shit dialed in, don't expect to get a big haul 8 weeks after you move. I had quite a bit experience already, but the only to make $$ is to grow BOMB.

If you are not moving any grow equipment out here, don't worry. Craigslist is FULL of people selling their equipment. A lot of people come out here without shit and go down in flames and end up homeless. If you can truly afford to move out here (meaning you have a verifiable source of income for the LL and can pay your way through more than the first 3 months if your crop gets ripped, spider-mited, Timer failured, powdery mildewed, earthquaked, flooded, burnt - you get the idea, a lot of shit can go wrong)

If you can do that come on out. Otherwise, I would wait until I could do all of that before I would risk it.

I have a job waiting for me when I get there at my uncle's company (with branches all over cali so I can pretty much live almost anywhere). I'm not looking to make money from weed. Just growing for my self. I've been growing organic for 5 years, I know my stuff. I just want to be able to live somewhere where I can go out to the disp and get some nice clones and beans and grow without being bothered and paranoid. I have legitimate medical reasons so thats pretty much why I made the decision to move (along with the fact that I have a job that I can take whenever I want haha)

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

I moved from NE PA. in 94' to tahoe and then to SF in 04'. I moved home from 2000 to 2003. Couldn't handle it felt all p-noid smoking. Missed CA. in a bad way. I love it here and will never leave. I'll keep you posted if I hear of any apts or peeps needing roomates.

S

Sway

id REALLY like to know where you found a 950/month rent with 20 freakin acres. thats unheard of in northern california. on 20 acres your gonna pay at LEAST 15-1600/month and thats in the middle of nowhere. average would be 2000 and up per month. 950 per month is not normal what so ever, and most of the time 950 will get you an apartment and thats about it. i dont live in a crazy area either, not SF or LA... california is expensive to live in, way more than any other state ive lived in. but you gotta pay to play

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

I pay 1475/mth, utilities included for a 2 br in SF and that is considered good.

B

Budhog

I hate to tell you but that is what I have and what I pay. Believe me or don't. I ain't gonna post my exact location.

Oh yeah. It also has a 600 sf building with 200 amp power

If you look along the I-5 corridor north of SAC to the Oregon border, you can find many like properties. Check Craigslist. That's where we got this place. You just have to take the time to look. It ain't hard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom