Moving From Hydroponics To Soil

• Thread starter markkelly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

markkelly

Hi,

I had a good hydroponic setup my first ever grow,but somethink come up and had to move the plants in soil,I have been using sensi bloom part A&B,But now iv gone to soil how often do i feed them nutes? water the etc? Soil growing to me is new a new thing that i dont know much about has anyone got any tips?

Cheers

F

farmerjohn

Watering is easy.:character0180: Know what your plants weigh when they are dry & when you pick them up & they are @ their dry weigh, water thoroughly. I usually add nutrients after a good watering. This way I am not letting my expensive fertilizer run off onto the floor, through a dry pot. Every strain reacts differently to nutrient amounts. Experiment with heavy doses on a regular basis or whatever routine fits your grow. The plants will let you know if you are over fertilizing. Be alert, check your plants often & look for signs that will help guide you to proper application of nutrients. I pour them on until the plants scream stop, myself. I figure they will let me know if its too much & I will gain a fatter yield if I press them chemically! A thorough flushing out about 3 weeks before harvest helps clean out most of the nutrients from the buds & reduces salt levels in the soil. I don't water again after than, unless a plant shows signs of stress, in preparation of a 36 hour dark period, then harvest.

devious d

devious d

hi good advice farmer john, mk ive also just gone back to soil from hydro ithink with your knowledge of hydro gives you a leg up for soil as its far more forgiving to mistakes. i feed every other watering and try to let the soil dry out b4 watering again, in fact i have a ph probe that also gives soil moisture count to be on the ball. if your growing a strain you know, you know the plants requirements making it easier to dial in properly, good luck bro.

hubcap

hubcap

are you transplanting from water to dirt, or is this a seperate soil grow, AFTER you completed a water grow?

i just want to clarify. your OP is a lil confusing.

-cap

B

bicycle racer

i would suggest going to a hempy style set up or simply cococ or another soiless mix easy to control compared to soil.

B

bobman

use plenty of perlite. water sparingly especially if the root mass is small compared to the container. the number one problem I see a lot is people have a small root mass in a big container. what happens is that a ball of moisture surrounds the roots and never drys and it throws the ph off. people think the soil is dry and keep watering and the roots sit in mud in the middle of the pot. just try to give them enough water to sustain them. for example if i were to put a clone into a 2 gallon container I would only give them a 16 oz cup of water at first and that should last them 5-7 days. This will last a few weeks. Until roots are established in a container water less and just watch them. I would also recommend hempy very easy and better results.

B

bobman

I have also found that one full to the rim 16oz party plastic cup per gallon of soil is usually perfect to get all the soil moist without any runoff.

B

bobman

When I say plenty of perlite I mean like 40-50 percent. I would recommend 50. Lighter soil is easier to work with. Sorry for the triple post but I am new and can not edit.

D

d_b

And ~ when you do water, water around the outside of the rootball.

F

farmerjohn

Those are all good points. I think the theme here is back to the number 1 mistake made in soil grows. That is, over watering the plants! You can under water too. I found out the hard way on that one! But get the roots to fill the pot, is sage advice. Bigger roots=bigger fruits!

C

CanadianClassic

Grats i like dirt more its more forgiving and needs less attention just consider your soil like a hydro res it pretty much does the same thing just holds the nutes and the plants feed im in week 3 of flowering and have been using nutes every single watering witch is about every 2-3 days and have no signs of nute burn,if you use coco you want a bit of run off after watering to get some salts out but with other soils you dont even need run off once u dial in exactly how much to water,just check the pots weight to see if it needs water,or the good ole if the first few inches of soil is dry you are probably due for another watering if not you're real close...well hope that helps a bit.

Good luck with the ladies!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom